Cruise Insurance Claim

Minge

Instead of bieng on my first day of my cruise, I am here at home with a highly infectious virus that I ended up in the urgent care for yesterday morning. The Dr. said if I had gone, I could have potentially made alot of my fellow cruisers ill. The Dr. wrote a very specific note of the virus I have and stated "no travel" "highly contagious" on his diagnostic notes.

I have always purchased travel insurance and was wondering if anyone had first hand experience of the do's and dont's of the claims process with the insurance folks.

Please any and all advise is welcome.

Pull out your policy, the little flyer with all the fine print, and find the section under "how to file a claim" and follow the instructions. Sorry to learn this happened to you, but very nice to learn you had insurance to cover your losses, if not your disappointment.

Most claims such as yours are handled very promptly.

Instead of being on my first day of my cruise, I am here at home with a highly infectious virus that I ended up in the urgent care for yesterday morning. The Dr. said if I had gone, I could have potentially made alot of my fellow cruisers ill. The Dr. wrote a very specific note of the virus I have and stated "no travel" "highly contagious" on his diagnostic notes.

I have always purchased travel insurance and was wondering if anyone had first hand experience of the do's and dont's of the claims process with the insurance folks.

Please any and all advise is welcome.

Hi Minge,

I suggest you write a cover letter and send it with your claim form. It's not necessary, but it'll make your claim go easier. Also, photocopy everything before you send it in (seems obvious, but it's surprising how many people don't do it).

I hope this helps.

Basically, call first and inform them of your situation. They will send forms to you that you need to fill out. This is where you atach the doctor's notes. As above copy everything. do the cover letter explaining everything. Send it in and your money will be returned to you. Include any flights and hotel rooms where you do not get a refund.

Document the name, date and time of EVERYONE you talk to and start a file with lots of photocopies of the doctor's note and all correspondence.

And thank you for being a respectful considerate adult who thought of the health of others.

Good luck....and feel better soon!!!

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to see the doctor again. The insurance companies all have a specific form for your doctor to fil out so you'll have to drop that off at his/her office and have it filled out then sent in with the rest of the paperwork.

I had to put a claim in 2 years ago. I was stuck in Ft Lauderdale for 2 days due to a blizzard here. Once I checked into a hotel, I called my insurance company (I always take the paperwork with me). They made a note of my call, told me to save all receipts and when I got back fill out the forms they would mail me. Then I could fax or mail them back. They also told me I needed a note from my airline stating that they cancelled the flight and none were available for 2 days. I got the same note they give military guys so they're not considered AWOL. I felt like telling them to pick up a newspaper. The storm was all over the news, even in FLA!

Whatever...it was kind of a pain, but worth it. Just call them.

Hope you're feeling better, and thanks for not trying to sneak on the boat!

Does anyone buy their cruise insurance with any other travel insurance company? The prices I have looked up online are so much cheaper and the cruise lines are expensive. Is it worth it to go with someone else?

Hi thoneycu,

You'll find better plans for a lot less money if you shop around. Go to www.google.com and search for "trip insurance". You'll find some good comparison sites that offer reputable companies.

I hope this helps.

Does anyone buy their cruise insurance with any other travel insurance company? The prices I have looked up online are so much cheaper and the cruise lines are expensive. Is it worth it to go with someone else?

We have never purchased travel insurance directly from the cruiseline, you're right, you can get coverage for far less elsewhere.

We also avoid any other purchases through the cruise lines, such as air, hotel, ground transportation. I have found (although I always check all avenues first) that we can generally get the same thing for a lot less. Many times we save enough by do-it-yourself travel to pay the hotel, ground transportation and meal costs associated with day before arrival.

Archived