Motion sickness

JJHNLC

I have been doing some research about the "seasickness patch" (can't remember the real name), but there are side effects. Has anyone exprienced any of them? Dramamine & Bonine knock me out cold, not how I want to spend the cruise!!

My wife gets motion sickness driving around the block so she uses the patch (transderm scop) whenever we travel, mainly air travel. The first few times she used it she experienced some blurred vision and dry mouth, but that mostly went away in time. The first couple of times we cruised, she wore the patch the entire trip for fear of getting seasick. She finally tried to go without the patch and has not been seasick once, except for that time on a small excursion boat as we were heading back to shore in a storm.

Other than some rough seas, the large cruise ships are fairly smooth rides. If the seas do get rough, it has usually been at night and taking a dramamine and sleeping isn't such a bad thing.

nitliner - I think I will get them just incase, but I won't use them unless I feel sick. Many people have said that they get motion sick in cars & planes, but not on a ship. I have heard that ginger pills work well also, has she tried them? Thanks for replying I really appreciate the help.:)

With "the patch", you need to take it 24 hours before you get on the water - it doesn't work if you're already sick. I get very very seasick - and it is the only thing that works for me (my side affect is dry mouth). If there's never been a motion sickness issue before - you can try the over-the-counter methods - dramamine, wristbands, ginger - whatever, there are a bunch of them..... I wouldn't spend the money for the patch unless you were going to use it - and if you are, be sure to put it on BEFORE you get on the boat...:o

I use the patch also, with excellent results. I am sooooo sleepy if I use meclizine (bonine or dramamine less drowsy), but I have had zero side effects with the patch.

I put it on 3-4 hours before we board. I believe the medication helps your inner ear to become settled, which is why it is important to begin this med before you hit the cruise ship. If we are on a cruise longer than 4 days, I change patches on day 4, and I also leave the patches on for about 3 days after we return. That seems to help with the residual motion of the ocean!

Some people I know use the pills (scopolomine - sp?), and they have had good results taking those part way through the cruise. If you don't have consistent sickness, that may be something else to consider.

I am easily prone to motion sickness so I invested $160 on 2 Relief Bands. Looks like a watch (works on impulses on the inside of your wrist) and it surprised me how well it worked. My husband and I were the only ones in our large group to not get sick when we had very rough seas for 2 straight days. I would highly recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I started this thread I was wondering about the ginger pills, had anyone had really good luck with them? Has anyone actually compared the ginger to other meds?? :eek:

Thanks

Lisa

Yes, I use Ginger all the time for motion sickness. It is inexpensive and works quickly with no side effects. I have never compared them to the meds since I never had the need. They work well for me and that's why I use them. We sustained 25 ft. seas with 70 mph winds and Ginger worked well. They were also featured on Mythbusters and found to be very, very effective.

You can purchase them in drug stores, most large grocery stores, health food stores or mail order. I take 2-3 capsules about every 3-4 hours or as needed.

Thanks sept10gsm, for the ginger info.

I was wondering the same thing about when to take the meds. I know with the patch you have to take it 3 hrs ahead, I think, & with Dramamine about 1 hr ahead, but what about the ginger pills?

You are quite welcome. You can take Ginger anytime. It will work in about 10-15 minutes. I don't actually the medical reasons but Ginger appears to work directly on the stomach as well as the brain to calm the stomach.

When I feel the movement of the ship, I usually will take a few even if I feel fine. They won't hurt me, so I just take them to be sure.

Since I started this thread I was wondering about the ginger pills, had anyone had really good luck with them? Has anyone actually compared the ginger to other meds?? :eek:

Thanks

Lisa

I have gotten motion sickness since I was a small child. Hit the big 40 last year and still get it (can't even ride a ferris wheel anymore). Dramamine & Bonine leave me drowsey plus I like to have a little wine or a drink with dinner which will make me even more sleepy. I have been on 3 cruises in which I got sick and had to use Dramamine. On my last cruise in 2003, I used only Ginger pills. I wasn't sick once. There was one evening that I felt a little off not nauseous though. We were waiting for a show to start and the curtains were just swaying back and forth. I just removed myself and went to a place where I felt better. My friends were starting to get sick though.

I recently bought some ginger candy at our health food store that I am wanting to try. They are called Gin-Gins, if you like the taste of ginger. I personally like it esp. in Chinese food--YUM. The company has a website too.

My recommendations are....

1) Check with you doctor first.

2) Take a road trip and test them out first. Sitting in the back seat of the car even on straight roads does it for me every time.

3) Don't take more than recommended dose as they could cause heartburn.

There are lots of interesting articles on the internet about Ginger. Here is a link to the University of Maryland about motion sickness and the types of treatment.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsConditions/MotionSicknesscc.html

Hope this helps!

Stephanie

Should one wait to see if they get seasick or is it best to take meds in advance? If so how far in advance? Can one take seasick meds while on birth control?

If you are prone to motion sickness, I would take something in advance. In my experience after the nausea set in, taking something didn't help me. But each person is different. Spent the first night of my first three cruises in bed cause I thought I wouldn't get sick.

As for your second question, I would check with your pharmacist. Dramamine and Bonine are antihistamines. You can also take Benadryl for motion sickness. That is what our ped recommended for my daughter.

Stephanie

Archived