seasickness and infants?

kevinsmom

hi there,

i am going on the dawn next month w/my 16 mo old and i am wondering how many people have actually had a problem w/seasickness and their children? he has never had a problem w/motion sickness far as i can tell, but then again he has never been on a boat/ship. any suggestions on what to bring? and also, he is small so it is not like he will be able to tell me he feels sick, i won't know until it is happening! i am praying for calm waters and no problems. i usually bring dramamine and only had to use it once or twice, but i am thinking of buying bonine instead for the adults.

thanks,

gina

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NCL Dawn 1st time!

Talk to your child's doctor about medication. Don't rely on what you might hear here because every child is different. Your doctor will advise what's best for your child depending on his medical history.

Darcie

Darcie,

yeah, i am def going to ask the doctor, but i was just wondering how many people have actually had their babies experience motion sickness on a cruise. just to see what i am up against!

thanks, gina

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NCL Dawn 1st time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. From what I understand, the vast, VAST majority of children do not suffer seasickness--especially infants. My daughter's pediatrician explained to me that it has something to do with being rocked when they are infants, and how the rocking motion works in tandem with the inner ear and eye movement and sense of balance, etc, to actually calm children down. MY daughter cruised with us 1st at age 4 months, then at 11 months, then at 14 months, again at 18 months....no problems. He said that if my daughter showed no uneasiness swinging on a swing, or twirling around and around in circles outside on the lawn, then she wouldn't experience any seasickness: at least, not at this age. Maybe later, because he also said that motion sickness generally increases as one gets older, certainly with hormonal changes, and is more common in woman than in men, notably after pregnancy. Hmmm.

I get motion sickness really easily and I can say that it has increased over the years....never felt it as a young girl, but by the time I was in my teens I couldn't go on whirly-rides, and now I get dizzy spinning around in a circle!

thanks so much!! that is exactly the info i was looking for. i was just curious to see if anyone who traveled w/children had this problem. i am still going to speak w/my doc. but hopefully all will be ok :)

• 3 months later...

I've also wondered about this - we will be cruising with our 15-month old in January and I am not sure how to prepare her. Both my husband and I get sea-sick. I have used Bonine and non-drowsy Dramamine, but didn't think they were appropriate for small children.

I've just been to the pediatrician with my 4-yr-old son. When I asked about possible seasickness, he just said bring Children's Dramamine, or if using the adult Dramamine, just give half of a tablet. He even said Benadryl would do because the motion sickness pills basically that and a little something else.

Hi! My son has gotten CARSICK since he was about 18 months old. This doesn't mean he or yours will be sick though. This is what to watch for and what to carry around. This is what helped us, hopefully you too!

1) Watch the lips....his would get a grayish/dark w/a little white and sometimes a greenish halo around mouth. Sounds crazy, but if you see this get a plastic bag.

2) Sweaty and real grumpy for no reason really quick, not helpful really, babies do that anyway.

1) Make him eat something like crackers, chips, bread, toast, cheerios, cheese-its, etc. For some reason, my son liked the salt. He has to eat something!

We have had to pull off the road before and wait 15-20 minutes until the carsick medicine kicked in and then off we would go (obviously not a option on a boat). Give him the medicine early though as I am sure your doc will tell you. Good Luck, hopefully you won't need these tips. Kelly

Archived