Daylight Saving Time in Roatan???

jwmcq

I just realized that DST happens the first night of our cruise (it falls earlier this year - March 11.) Does anyone know if Roatan goes to DST? Or will they remain in Central Standard time. I would sure hate to miss the ship by an hour! :eek:

Unless things have changed, Roatan does NOT recognize the savings time change of the clocks. Many years ago I had some big fun drinking a few beers & trying to explain to some of the island's native fishermen the concept of "changing the clock." I don't think they ever did believe me, although they started to get the idea when we switched from beer to rum.:D

FWIW, most ships make it very clear to stay on SHIP time when in port. Make sure you get this straight before you get off the ship in any port - you don't want to arrive back just in time to see the ship sailing off into the horizon.

Thanks for the reply - that was what I was thinking, that most islands do not go to DST. (Or didn't get the memo that the US gov decided to change it this year!) That will change when my tour guide should pick me up!

• 2 months later...
I just realized that DST happens the first night of our cruise (it falls earlier this year - March 11.) Does anyone know if Roatan goes to DST? Or will they remain in Central Standard time. I would sure hate to miss the ship by an hour! :eek:

You should know how many hours your ship is in port.

If it's 8 hours, be back in 7 hours

If it's 6 hours, be back in 5

Thanks for the reply - that was what I was thinking, that most islands do not go to DST. (Or didn't get the memo that the US gov decided to change it this year!) That will change when my tour guide should pick me up!

If you take a tour or a guide, they know when the ships leave. They will have you back in time.

Archived