HNL- Embassy SUites or Sheraton Princess Kaiulani ???

cmjaffe

Need to figure out which location/hotel will be better for our family for our HNL part of December trip (land only - week prior in LIH). Have room on hold at both hotels but can't find much information on Trip Advisor. Understand Embassy SUites doesn't have much of a pool and not sure where beach access is (know that it's not beachfront). Traveling w/15 &11 yo. Know Princess K rooms can be dated. Are both within walking distance of international marketplace (is this the shopping/dining area -- not necessarily upscale). Is one area's beach a bit "better" -- know it's going to be crowded since it's just after Xmas. Also about how much would a taxi/car service costs? We'll be renting a car for a day here and there but unless we find a place that has reduced parking don't think we'll need it for the entire (4 or 5 night) stay. TIA.

Carolyn

Need to figure out which location/hotel will be better for our family for our HNL part of December trip (land only - week prior in LIH). Have room on hold at both hotels but can't find much information on Trip Advisor. Understand Embassy SUites doesn't have much of a pool and not sure where beach access is (know that it's not beachfront). Traveling w/15 &11 yo. Know Princess K rooms can be dated. Are both within walking distance of international marketplace (is this the shopping/dining area -- not necessarily upscale). Is one area's beach a bit "better" -- know it's going to be crowded since it's just after Xmas. Also about how much would a taxi/car service costs? We'll be renting a car for a day here and there but unless we find a place that has reduced parking don't think we'll need it for the entire (4 or 5 night) stay. TIA.

Carolyn

Embassy Suites is about 3 blocks from the beach, close to Hawaiian Village, lots of dining options, lot's of construction going on. These new Embassy Suites are smaller than the older ones, don't expect all of the room spaces.

Sheraton is one block from the water. Rates from their website.

http://www.princess-kaiulani.com/

Room Category2007City Side$205Standard Room$245City View$290Waikiki City$320Partial Ocean View$345High Ocean $365Deluxe Ocean$400

think all things considered we're leaning towards Sheraton since I think the location might better suit our needs... and we already have the points necessary for the 5 night stay (vs. Embassy being 4 nights). Not sure if the construction situation will be over by December and from what I've read Embassy's suites aren't quite like other "older" ones and the pool area's not "that invitiing".

Just need to keep our fingers crossed that DH will get enough stays before we got to get a "guarantee" upgrade so that we'll be in the newer wing. We're not hoping for a view... just to be the "more desirable" tower (I hope that's not asking too much). Anyway we'll be busy and will have a car the entire time (got $139 for the 5 days from Alamo and since it would probably cost at least $40 each way to airport see it as a somewhat "wash" for the freedom to explore).

Thanks again,

Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...

We just took advantage of a Hotwire email special at Princess Kaiulani for $99 a night -- not sure when it expires -- and were upgraded to the new tower. The room was still somewhat dated. The desk staff was great -- however housekeeping needs some help. The location is great -- right across the street from the beach, restaurants nearby -- Cheesecake Factory (1 block up) meals were sooo large that it could feed 2 easily. The Food Court listed in the Princess Kaiulani brochure no longer exists, they are remodeling, but not sure what will be going in. There is a Subway, Burger King, and others just across the street from the hotel. There was self-parking at $15 a day -- with in-out privileges. They had a few computers in their lobby with email at no charge -- however, they were always busy, and always had people waiting.

hello, Thanks for the 1st hand report on Princess K.

We've got enough points for 5 nights there "comped" (earned SPG points). Hopefully since DH is Gold w/program we'll get put in the newer wing (don't care of view since we'll be returning from Kauai). We'll have to take the kids to Cheesecake Factory (wonder if they'll be opened on Xmas) . Did you take a taxi there or rental car? Did you use the pool area at all? Were you able to use the other SPG hotel facilities? Don't know if this is still an option.

Thanks again,

Carolyn

We are booked at the PK for one night precruise. We did not book the hotel thru NCL. Does anyone know if we will have the ability to use the checkin? I was unaware of this feature.

Thanks,

We are booked at the Marriott Waikiki for 3 nights prior to our upcoming cruise, we booked the hotel directly thru NCL in order to take advantage of the Pre-Cruise Check In. my understanding from NCL is that you must book directly with NCL to take advantage of this feature.

We were surprised to see the NCL desk on the 2nd floor, when we went exploring. We did ask her about checking our luggage there, but she said it was only for people using NCL pre-cruise packages. We asked what the difference was between using the Marriott or the Princess Kaiulani, and she said that with the Marriott package you do not have to check in at the pier, there will be a separate line that they can just go through security and get on the ship. Princess Kaiulani cruisers will be able to check their luggage at the hotel NCL desk, but will still need to check in at the pier.

I'm almost positive that the Cheesecake Factory will be open on Christmas --it seems as though most places are in Waikiki. I had wanted to try a piece of cheesecake, but had no room -- plus we both ended up bringing home half of our meal. They also served 2 delicious breads -- brown and sourdough when we first sat down -- and had GREAT french fries! The Princess Kaiulani does have a nice open air restaurant, and a "grill" near the pool. Although, the restaurant is also open-air near the pool.

We did have a car and had no problem with parking at the hotel. ALTHOUGH, we had a terrible time trying to find our way into the hotel. It seems as though the elevator is accessed from the open parking levels, not the covered levels. We didn't see the valet parking attendants until the next day.

We wanted to use the pool, but it closes at 6PM. They have Hawaiian entertainment by the pool (I'm guessing each night) that starts at 6:30PM. It really did have a feeling of "old" Hawaii, with the music and everyone sitting around on the pool furniture enjoying the music.

We also found out that you can use the other Sheraton properties, too. We had breakfast at the Royal Hawaiian and were able to charge it to our room -- again a nice restaurant RIGHT on the beach -- you could walk from your table onto the sand.

i enjoyed sitting on my balcony on the 6th floor, right over the music. i could hear the sounds of the street, beach and had the great music right below us. we loved the location of the PK, close to everything. glad to hear to they still have the music by the pool. when we were there..a long time ago in a place far way....it was great. took my DH years to get over his crush on one of the dancers...at least i think he is over it:rolleyes:

Carolyn,

We are at the Sheraton Princess as I post this reply. Leaving on Pride of Aloha in about 6 hours. We booked our Princess stay through bookit.com, and got cheaper rates then through the hotel direct. Discovered that NCL has agent on 2nd floor for people & baggage transfers, but only for people who book the hotel room through NCL. Check the room rates through NCL as well as all others, then decide from there. While checking with that desk, we found out that NCL was now requiring a hard copy of all pre- registration forms, so if you do it online, print out the form before you sign off so it will be ready when you board. I guess they had a computer crash on a recent cruise date, and lost all pre-reg info, so now require you too have hard copy. I'd guess that might be temporary once they sort out their computer glitches.

Although the Princess is older, the room is quite adequate and clean. There is a mini refrigerator and coffee maker in the room.The staff are all friendly and helpful. Check in was a breeze, Check out I don't know about yet, but should'nt be a problem, because my wife will take care of that while I get the car. :rolleyes:

We are on the 11th floor and look down on the pool and have a nice view of the ocean. 1 tall building is between us and Diamond Head. There is free nightly entertainment around the pool, local singers and some hula dancers, which you can watch or listen from the pool area, but we just sat on our balcony and listened. On Friday night, they had Karaoke singing around the bar..... nobody would have qualified for Americon Idol. :)

We attended the Creation Show at the hotel last night, and it was quite good, but I think a little to loud as our seats were to close to the speakers, (we went in for the cheaper rate cocktail show) same show, but seating not as good as the dinner show people. There is a discount coupon for this show on the Princess web site, 25% off the dinner show or 20% on the cocktail show.

Across the street is the beach front, I'm talking about a 1 minute walk. Surf lessons, body surfing board rentals, catamaran rides, outrigger canoe rides.... all right there. International Market Place around the corner, extended 3 minute walk :D . The Princess is at the center of all the activity.

Burger King and KFC and nice shopping Plaza also across the side entrance street. Another long 1 minute walk (very tiring) :rolleyes:

4 and 1/2 minute walk to Starbucks... walking slow.

Embassy Suites is closer to the boat dock, but really away from all the other activities in town.

Overnight in and out parking for $15 per day charged to your room. Standard rate at other spots seems to be between $20 and $25. Rental car is much cheaper then cabs. If you don't want a car for the full time you are here, there is a Avis shop next to hotel entrance.

I took picture of the view from our balcony, but won't upload until I return home next week.... if I remember.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

Tom

Commodore, thank you for this post.

I am cruising on the Aloha in May and will be staying here for the weekend. I was so on the fence about whether or not to book the room. However, it seems to be a great location, and the price is defintely right. I am going to use the extra dollars for excursions. Can't wait!

Tom,

Thanks for your detailed response about the Sheraton. It really makes our decision so much easier. We're doing a land vacation to Hawaii in December. We'll be on Kauai for a full week before heading to Oahu for 5 nights (leaving from HNL). We just stayed 5 nights on Big Island and 5 Kaui this past December and realized we really wanted to go back. Unf. the kids are in 2 different school systems so the only time we can all go is right before Xmas through New Years day. So we're using FF miles for flights. Hadn't planned on going to Oahu since we think it's too crowded and very commerical. Unf. we couldn't get r/t ff flights for our dates to Kauai so we'll be doing 2 islands (I know it's tough lol) and staying on hotel points. Got good rates for rental cars using Costco codes and coupons. It seems like the Princess K's location is SO much better for our family's needs. Like being near the International Market (and their multitude of food options). Also like that parking is only $15 per day vs. $25 at Embassy SUites. OK, we'll miss the breakfast at Embassy but I'm sure we'll manage just fine.

Have a wonderful cruise. I'm sure it's going to be memorable.

Carolyn

Archived