My ankles are concerned ...

On my last 2 cruises , other than the smokers , I became increasingly aware of the battery charged electric scooters that the disabled drive around the public decks and elevators... Now your first impression might be how I could be so mean spirited and unsimpathetic to those many people that are disabled and wish to enjoy a cruise ,, I am so sorry and apologize to anyone I might offend ,, however some of these scooters are almost as large as a golf cart , they are rather quick and powerful and some of their operators do not seem as in control as much as I would prefer .. Sometimes they are behind me and I have to evade them as they are faster than my ankles can move out of their way ,, especially when backing out of a elevator... Is it possible that they could be banned as they benefit a minority at the expense of the majority ,, I welcome all handicapped in wheelchairs and really appreciate seeing them as they are wheeled around by friends and relatives.. I sincerely enjoy seeing handicapped cruisers enjoying themselves ,, after all , some day that might be me ,, its their scooters that I fear as I try to protect my ankles........... any kind comments or opinions would be appreciated ( maybe its me ??? ) ,,, I mean no disrespect,,,,,, :o :) :p :eek:

I am a 56 year old with a bad back. I took my family to Disney last year and if it was not for the scooter I could not have made it all day. I was very careful and had never used one before. There will always be a few that have a hard time but I have also had a child run into me pushing grandma around. Shall we ban shopping carts also.:rolleyes:

had her last cruise on the Millie ruined because of a scooter. The woman on the scooter was talking to a friend as she was heading to the elevator and ran into her. She ended up with a nasty bruise on her ankle and not able to walk very well the rest of the cruise. The bill from the med center was astronimical, but she did submit it to her insurance and it was mostly covered.

While a scooter can be a necessary evil, they are getting as bad and annoying as cell phones and walkie-talkies on cruises.

Dave:eek:

First, since you are apparently new (9 posts), I want to warn you that you will probably be "flamed" for your post. Please don't give up on CruiseCritic, though; we have a great diversity of personalities, backgrounds ,etc on these boards (which is good) but several screen names pop into my mind right away- and they will have a "field day" with your comments. Just don't panic!

That said, I too have been run over by scooters (or young kids pushing wheelchairs and strollers). My opinion on this is that many people do not bring their own scooters on the cruise- they rent one from a local supplier. The rental scooter may not have the same controls or the same power as they're used to- so they do have trouble with the steering, speed, etc until they "get the hang of it." As far as the young kids:-extended families sail together for a reunion- and the grandkids are told to take turns looking after a baby cousin or grandparent in a wheelchair (as if to spend quality time with them???). You know those kids want to be at the pool or the kids' clubs- so they race granny back to her room or the drop-off point. And terrorize granny and everyone who gets in the way!

And of course there are those people (in and out of scooters) who put themselves first and to h--l with the rest of the world. And they go on cruises like the rest of us. (I know you've met them- they're the ones who insist that everyone exit the elevator so they can fit their scooter in; they paid good money for this cruise and they're not going to wait for the next elevator). They're usually related to the chair hog family LOL

I doubt that scooters could be banned (having read parts of the ADA- Americans with Disabilities Act), plus, as you said- we ourselves may be using them one day, so I guess for now we'll have to keep ourselves limber enough to jump out of the way of errant scooters.

I would think serious scooter accidents don't happen very often. Really doubt they'll be banned. Some people wouldn't be able to cruise or go on any other vacation without one. I've been run over many times by grocery carts (some driven by my husband!), but never a scooter.

There was actually a woman banned from Disneyland because she consistently ran into people who were 'in her way'. She exceeded the speed limit within the park (I didn't know they had one).

At my work, my DH was litereally run down by a woman with a motorized scooter and she yelled at him for being in her way and making her late and doesn't he realize that she's disabled and has right of way. When you're hit from behind, it's sort of hard to get out of the way.

There are always going to be people who abuse others, either verbally or physcially. Some people think that being disabled entitles you to act without concern (and before you start, yes, I am disabled and struggle every day to get around) for others or that life owes them something. Of course, there are plenty of abled bodied people who feel the same way.

In short, people are people, insensitive or not, there will always be those of us who get out of their way and others who worry about their ankles.

Charlie

Land-based vacations are not exempt from scooters, trust me.

I returned from a week at Disneyworld in November. There were more scooters than strollers, and the scooters were far more dangerous (and I've been run into by more than my fair share of strollers. The folks pushing the strollers seem to think that a simple "I'm sorry" solves everything. I'm here to tell you: it doesn't).

God bless the wonderful transportation system at Disneyworld, but we were made to wait for bus transportation several times because fellow park-goers using scooters got preferential treatment, and several rows of seats were folded up to accomodate scooters. On more than one occasion, we saw "full" busses carrying just 10 people and the rest of the vehicle was taken up by their scooters. Meanwhile, there were 40-50 people left in line.

Should they be banned? That's a tough one. I hate the idea of taking away the only viable method of transport for those that rely on them. After all, I might one of those people at some point in the future.

T

I agree that many may rent their scooter due to cost of flying with them. As a therapist I know that they are needed by many, otherwise the person would not be able to travel. I do know that the speed can be turned down. Politely asking the person to slow down may work, but there are some that think they should have the right of way no matter what.

Asking a person to give up their scooter would be like asking someone not to smoke during their cruise ( I know many smokers that ignore the signs and/or rules on when and where to smoke). It is a part of their life and should be respected.

Wow, from the other side of the fence - my husband has had MD since he was 31 years old (after many years of teaching and playing 'hard ball' athletics) He is an inspiration to all........that said, we have been on many cruises and took our first last year with his "new" scooter.

If you all only knew what it is like for him to have to say 'excuse me', 'beep beep', etc., over and over just to get onto an elevator.........We tried being nice, tried waiting for the 'next' elevator but finally the only way was for me to actually hold the door and say 'just a minute please'! The scooter are his legs! We can 'walk' together, see a movie, stroll the mall, and thoroughly enjoy a cruise like never before.

Do not get me wrong - there were more nicer people on our cruise than rude but those that were rude - were very hurtful in such an off hand way.

Realize that MOST scooter users would give ANYTHING NOT to have to rely on them!!! And as in my husband's case, quite humble about it.

TG

If only I could walk again ! Then I wouldn't have to rely on a scooter or

power wheelchair. Perhaps you are one of those who step in front of

me quickly - before I'm able to stop. Or are you one of those on the

5 or 6 elevators that are so full I cannot get on? Maybe you are the one who swore at me because I was on the elevator with others and there was no room for you. Then, only one floor up, you were behind me (you had taken the steps) - and commented that "people like me" shouldn't be

allowed to cruise ! Or are you someone who brags about getting a

handicapped accessible cabin - when you only want the extra room -

and prohibits us from cruising?

Obviously folks using scooters and power wheelchairs must be cautious

and courteous. But the able bodied should be also. We cannot

stop on a dime and unfortunately some folks need more experience.

My father has had a motorized cart since 1988. He was injured on the job in 1983. He fell about 20 feet, breaking ribs, arm, hip and leg. Both hips and knees have been replaced. Yes it sounds good to have a family member push him around in a wheel chair. I did that in 1987 at Hershey Park. After pushing and pulling up and down hills, I couldn't move the next day. Right now my parents cruise by themselves. There is no way my mother, who has fibromygalia and has been clean from breast cancer for 5 years now, could think about pushing him. She is doing good to get herself around.

Let me just say that my father does take as much care as he can in public. But...I have seen people cut in front of him and then when he can't stop, give him a dirty look. Both sides have to be careful.

Archived