Suggestions for Roman Romantic Eve

We are arriving in Rome the day before our cruise. Which sights would you save for the evening. I was thinking Trevi Fountain might be especially beautiful at night. Any other sights in that area that would be lit up for the eve? Are there any favorite restaurants or hotels in that area someone could recommend? Does anyone know if there are carriage rides in Rome?

Melissa

We are arriving in Rome the day before our cruise. Which sights would you save for the evening. I was thinking Trevi Fountain might be especially beautiful at night. Any other sights in that area that would be lit up for the eve? Are there any favorite restaurants or hotels in that area someone could recommend? Does anyone know if there are carriage rides in Rome?

Melissa

I think Trevi fountain is absolutely a good choice, and I plan on going there at night before my cruise (have done it once before). There's also a wonderful gelato place called San Crispino nearby--really nice to enjoy by the fountain.

A downside of the fountain is that there are tons of people trying to sell you roses there, and they can get a bit annoying. But it is really beautiful there. Also, lots of people congregate there, so it's not terribly private.

Trevi is particularly nice lit up at night. Gets a little crowded, but worth seeing. Coloseum is nice lit up at night as well. Piazza Navona is lively at night. Campo dei Fiori is another option with some nightlife and restaurants.

What night of the week are you in Rome?

Does anyone know if there are carriage rides in Rome?

Yes, there are carriage rides available in Rome, e.g. close to St. Peter's Square or the Spanish Steps.

If you are looking for something romatic with more solitude you might go up the Aventin, where is a park next to Santa Sabina with a wonderful view of the lighted Rome. Similiarly a walk on the Gianicolo could be nice.

In the city almost all the sights are lighted in the evening. St. Peter's looks great, Piazza Navonna is a lively spot, Spanish Steps more for college age ...

Or how about dinner in the Hotel on Monte Mario?

While in Rome last year, DH and I enjoyed a romantic dinner at Osteria Margutta. It is located on Via Margutta, a lovely, quiet, vine-lined street dotted with art galleries. Via Margutta runs parallel to Via del Babuino, the street that connects Piazza di Spagna with Piazza del Popolo. Last year, they were closed on Sundays though, so it would have to be Saturday night.

Good luck!

Jerseyjk,

I'm glad you asked about what night we're there. Just double checked my itinerary and we actually arrive 2 days before ship sails. So arriving Saturday 9/9 around noon and ship sails at 700pm on Monday 9/11.

Melissa

Even better ... two nights to enjoy the eternal city. Saturday night in the Piazzas will be lively ... not the quiet evening you may be contemplating. That's the fun though. You'll have a great time.

Archived