Shopping on Grand Cayman??

Mezzaluna

I had to bow out of the helmet diving due to health issues (they don't like asthmatics with high blood pressure to do this ;) ). My husband is going to do that but I'd like to shop or just stroll on my own.

Is this advisable at Grand Cayman? I have the impression there would be good shopping there, but when I looked at the island on Google Earth, it looked pretty small. (I couldn't see any docks; do we tender there?)

We'll be there while on Coral Princess on about March 26. Thanks in advance for your insights.

Ann

Grand Cayman is a tender port.Georgetown(The Capital)is where you arrive when you get off the tenders.There is lots of shopping and it is very safe.It's not very big so you should have no trouble walking around without getting lost.Try the rum cakes.:D My family and I will also be on Grand Cayman on the 26th,we are on RCCL's Legend of the seas.Hope this helps.Mike.

Thank you, Mike!

If anyone has any observations about what's good to buy there besides the rum cakes, I'd appreciate it. I'm not big on jewelry, but if there's a local item or other bargain to look for, I'm game. I'm interested in cookware and ingredients (I know- not everything can be brought back to the U.S.- I'll be selective.)

Grand Caymen is a lot of fun and the shopping is great. Some of the best bargains are on jewelry though, I saved about $ 1,500 on a Rolex I bought last year. They are also big on Tanzanyte if you like that. Have a blast .... Joe

We felt very safe in Grand Cayman, and there are quite a few shops.

However, Grand Cayman is not like any of the other islands in the Caribbean. Its a very wealthy island. Lots and lots of expensive high end jewelry shops. If that's not your thing, then the shopping may be somewhat limited. There are no good bargains that I could find (not referring to jewelry). Even the typical tourist stuff like t-shirts were higher. Its fun to walk around, but may not be the best place to find a bargain.

How about booking a tour to go on by yourself to the rum factory or turtle farm or something like that to pass the time. Friends went on the submarine excursion and loved it....that would be another option.

There are many shops in George Town right where the cruise ship tenders bring you to shore. Jewelry is popular. There are shops for fine crystal, Lladró porcelain figures and more.

The best cookware shop moved out of George Town to a shopping center along Seven Mile Beach. La Ambience carries a variety of higher end cookware and is now located in The Strand shopping center.

Many of the gift shops in George Town carry a variety of hot sauces and Caribbean spices. Of course the groceries carry a full range as well, and Kirk's Supermarket is about a mile north of the pier.

Archived