Houston Hobby Airport to Galveston

MsRavenFan

My husband and I will be flying into Houston Hobby Airport on Easter Sunday, we are going to stay at the Quality Inn near the airport on Sunday night, then we will head to Galveston to the cruise port on Monday. We are going on Royal Caribbean. We figure we can catch the shuttle from the hotel back to the airport on Monday to get a transfer from the airport to the cruise port. Are their cruise shuttles? How much do they cost? Do I need to contact someone to make reservations for the transfer? Thanks for your help, just trying to get all of this lined up!

Maybe this info will help you some, looks like they do offer a shuttle but the limo service seems reasonable also. :D

Getting Around

The George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) is about 70 miles from Galveston. Hobby Airport (HOU) is closer at 42 miles. And yet: The journey is about an hour and a half from either airport.

At either airport you'll find all the major car rental agencies, such as National (www.nationalcar.com), Avis (www.avis.com) and Hertz (www.hertz.com), and all have locations in Galveston for returning the rental. Daily rentals will run about $70. Parking is available at the cruise terminal and will run about $10 a day. Free shuttle service from the parking facilities to the piers is available.

Notes: These shuttles do not include luggage handling services. The Consolidated Rental Car Facility at George Bush Intercontinental Airport centralizes the operations of nine different national agencies. Look for the white and maroon shuttle bus (it's marked "Rental Car Shuttle") outside baggage claim areas.

Galveston Limousine offers frequent service from both airports to the cruise terminal in Galveston. The fare is $30 ($50 roundtrip). For more information, visit www.galvestonlimousineservice.com. Other limousine companies that offer excellent service are Absolutely Limos (www.absolutelylimos.com) and Emerald Limousines (www.emeraldlimos.com), both based out of Galveston.

Taxi service from both airports is another option. A typical fare from Hobby is $75, and from George Bush Intercontinental, about $100. There are a number of taxi companies in Galveston: Busy Bee (409-762-6666), Yellow Cab Company (409-763-3333) and Tropical Taxi (409-621-4000) are reliable companies to consider.

Cruise lines typically offer motorcoach services between the airport and Galveston; these are generally available both as part of air/sea packages and a la carte.

Galveston is a walking paradise, but if you prefer to get around on wheels, consider Island Transit, their public transportation system. It operates daily, covering 27 square miles, and stops at designated bus stops and intersections. Fare is $0.60. The Galveston Trolley charges $1. Service along most routes run from approximately 6:15 a.m. until about 7 p.m. (the Bayou Seawall Loop runs until nearly midnight), but check for extended hours on a number of routes. For more information, visit www.islandtransit.net.

Quote...

Getting Around

The George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) is about 70 miles from Galveston. Hobby Airport (HOU) is closer at 42 miles. And yet: The journey is about an hour and a half from either airport.

An hour and a half from Hobby to Galveston????? No way, barring REALLY bad traffic!

Quote...

Getting Around

Strange, we made the trip with Gulf Coast Limo in little over an hour week before last and even stopped at HEB to purchase diet tonic water.

By the way, Gulf Coast Limo was the most professional limousine service that I have ever used. Our drivers, Scott and Kimberly performed flawlessly.

Mike:)

• 3 weeks later...

Have you thought about booking a room in Galveston for Sunday night? Many of the Galveston hotels offer free shuttles to the peir the next morning. This will keep you from having to catch the hotel shuttle from and back to Hobby.

Galveston is also a tourist town with much more to do and see on the day & evening before your cruise than what you will find in the Hobby Airport area of Houston. I would not feel safe walking around the hotels in the Hobby area but would have no problem walking around on Seawall Blvd. or the Strand Historic District of Galveston.

If you are willing to drive....I just confirmed a rental a car at Hobby (Houston) airport Enterprise for 3/22 to drop off within 24 hrs at port of Galveston, estimate is $27 with tax for basic car. No drop off fee if you call direct to Hobby office. It is a little tricky to get the local office and not the central reservation line. When you call, try staying on the line, I think it was the last numbered choice, you don't want to get the central Enterprise reservation line or they will charge a $60. drop off fee.

Hobby Enterprise tel# 409 740-0700.

I was told the Enterprise office is right at the cruise port in Galveston.

Hope this works for you.

Houston Hobby number is Tel.: (713) 645-7222

The number you gave is the Galveston office number. I would so love to be able to get a no $60 drop off fee. I currently have a reservation just off site of airport to not pay the fee.

I haven't been able to get through yet. Just rings that eventually drops me. I'll keep trying though. :cool:

Michelle

If you are willing to drive....I just confirmed a rental a car at Hobby (Houston) airport Enterprise for 3/22 to drop off within 24 hrs at port of Galveston, estimate is $27 with tax for basic car. No drop off fee if you call direct to Hobby office. It is a little tricky to get the local office and not the central reservation line. When you call, try staying on the line, I think it was the last numbered choice, you don't want to get the central Enterprise reservation line or they will charge a $60. drop off fee.

Hobby Enterprise tel# 409 740-0700.

I was told the Enterprise office is right at the cruise port in Galveston.

Hope this works for you.

ok whats your best advice im going on the splendour on 4/14/07 but i arrive in hobby on 4/13 at 6:40pm. I can't seem to find a place where i can rent a car at that time without paying a drop off fee.

i need help, im trying to avoid enting a car for the whole week while im on the cruise i would like to do the whole drop off at galveston thing

My advice would be to stay at the Holiday Inn at Houston Hobby - get a great price through priceline (I got a room for $55 at night +taxes/fees).

Then have the Enterprise at 9001 Frey Rd Houston, Tx 77034 come pick

you up. (713) 947-2299

This is what I will be doing next Friday.

Good luck!

Michelle

Will that office be open when i land in hobby at 6:40 pm?

If the rental car thing doesn't workout for you then you might just try to get a room at the Harbor House Hotel in Galveston. If you can get a room at the Harbor House you can just arrange transportation from Hobby to Galveston and will not need a car for the one night you will be in Galveston. Harbor House is within walking distance of the cruise terminal and in an upscale tourist area of Galveston. You will be within a short walk of many shops and restaurants on Harborside Drive & Strand St. and will have no need for a car for just one night.

Galveston Limousine 800-640-4826 They were the only one that had their rates posted for Hobby to Galveston @ $35pp oneway or $60pp round trip.

Super Shuttle (This was the only manned counter during my short time in the baggage claim area.) She said they had a flat rate from Hobby to Galveston of $100 each way but this could be for 1 or more people. That's what she said but you better confirm this and get it in writing. 800-258-3886

While the rates for the Enterprize rental without the drop off fee is a better deal this might be a second option if you can't get the non-drop off price. Plus you still need to arrange your return trip to Hobby.

I'm so sorry for giving the Galveston office number (instead of the Houston Hobby airport) for Enterprise rent a car; I had tried the other number first. Here is the correct number for the Houston Hobby Airport Enterprise office:

(713) 645-7222.

I guess if they are busy they don't pick up but I didn't have any trouble getting through. They were very friendly and helpful. Maybe try calling the middle of the day mid-week? I'm not sure which automated phone option# worked, maybe try another choice? Some will dump you into the main Enterprise reservation line...they will charge a drop off fee.

From the two local counter persons I spoke with, I was assured there is no charge for a drop off fee. Worth a try.

I guess I was in too much of a hurry to share the good news because I also had our date wrong in my previous message, we are sailing on Splendour from Galveston on 4/23. ( transatlantic )

Good luck with this!

Well, we ended up changing our minds about what we're doing. We are now flying into Houston Hobby on 4/8 and going to Galveston to stay at the Quality Inn on Seawall Blvd. We are flying into Houston-Hobby at 5ish I believe. So, I might have my husband call about the Enterprise car. I wonder if they'll be open on Easter Sunday, we could drop the car off on Monday on the way to the cruise port. We are going to use Galveston Limousine service for $60 round trip per person, otherwise. We called and talked to them. My husband may still think this is the better deal so that we wouldn't have to worry about how to get back to the airport.

For the return to the airport I was told that you can pick up the Enterprise rental car right at the port. Try calling the Galveston office 409 740 0700 to see if there is a drop off fee.

Good luck!

Archived