Climbing Diamond Head

Arlenedow

Hi there Arlene.. I too thought that may be one of my stops on oahu, but after reading this article, lol, I may just see half of it. Read this, it will give you a good idea of what is involved. [url]http://www.travellady.com/Issues/June04/715ClimbingDiamondHead.htm[/url]

Enjoy, Phyllis

We did it and really depends on the weather. If it is hot, you need to be in really good shape. If it is cooler its not too bad. The worst part is the 99 steps - just steps with no landings, fairly steep as stairs go, but not too bad.

There are a few other areas with steps too, but they are in the 40-70 range.

The rest is just a long slope up with plenty of places to rest.

START EARLY!! I can't stress this enough. The earlier you start, the cooler the weather and you won't have as much problem with the heat. Bring water, proper footwear, take your time, and go slowly. As long as you don't have bad arthritis, if you do it slowly enough, most people should be able to do this. Remember, no need for flashlights on the staircase - they've installed lights now.

Spleen

It's a long trek but most of it is fairly easy walking because the path winds around and around at a gentle slope. The steps are another matter. They say there are 99 of them but it felt like 999 of them. Just take your time and stop if you get winded, and that holds true for the entire walk. Take water and a camera.

My family and I climbed Diamond Head in June and thought it was a great experience, but I'll admit that it was more of a climb than I thought it was going to be. Our children are 14, 9 and 5 and they climbed it just fine, but were pretty tired at the end. The paths were gradual, so they were'nt too tiring, but be aware that they are very uneven in spots, so be sure to were comfortable well fitting shoes. There are portions of the paths that you feel like you are hiking, not just walking. The steps were a bit challenging. I agree with the previous poster, vistas at the top were well worth the climb, and you get a great sense of accomplishment after you climb Diamond Head. Definately do it, but start out early in the morning, bring water bottles and wear good walking/hiking shoes.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with, you, Tex. I climbed Diamond Head a couple of years ago. I was really out of shape at the time. I was feeling pretty smug and proud of myself until a man with one leg and crutches passed me! Since I was halfway up and nearly out of breath the pride and smugness went away! However, once I got up to the top and saw the view it was totally worth it. The pride is back to stay!

Archived