British Airlways is Ruining our trip!

Dame Delilah

For many years, we have travelled to Europe each year and enjoyed splendod vacations!

This year we planned our FINAL trip to Europe. (DH is now 70, and we are just getting too old to drive safely in Europe).

We booked the trip of our lifetime. A TransAtlantic (13 days on RCI) -- 2 weeks in Europe --with European flights ALL booked on British Airways, and a TransAtlantic return on the Queen Mary. SOUNDS GREAT--RIGHT??

WELL NOW, British Airways tells us that since we are ONLY travelling in Europe, we can only check one bag per person! (50 pound weight maximum). THIS RULE TOOK EFFECT 13 FEB 07--Far(!) after our flights were PAID IN FULL!

Since we will be travelling for 6 weeks, we normally each take one large bag and one medium sized bag.

OK, we can do with 3 bags, (at 50 lbs each) but that means we will have to pay $110 per bag, per leg of our trip!! For us that will be a total of $220 to carry one extra bag--OR a total of $440 for the bags we carried free in the past.

Not sure how we will handle this matter, But I will NEVER fly BA again, and I strongly urge everyone who is considering a trip to Europe using BA to THINK TWICE!

Not sure how we will handle this matter, But I will NEVER fly BA again, and I strongly urge everyone who is considering a trip to Europe using BA to THINK TWICE!

There is some suggestion that:

The rules will not be fully enforced until 30 September - and those who find a single bag too unwieldy are exempt.

According to the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6355999.stm

And the BA website says:

The British Airways baggage policy has a maximum bag weight of 23kg (51lbs). However, to allow our customers to become familiar with our new baggage policy and weight limitations, we will continue to accept bags at check-in weighing up to 32kgs for travel completed by 30 September 2007.

32kg = 70lb

See here:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb

Good luck!

Peter

It is all well and good complaining about British Airways but when I was travelling back to Europe a short while ago with American Airlines they had already brought the allowance down. It would appear that most airlines are now reducing limits as part of Health and Safety regulations.

We are travelling BA again later this year on a European flight and have actually booked Business Class as the allowance is more, and although the ticket cost more we actually saved on what it would have cost us to take extra luggage. If your feelings are that strong then I fear that you will feel the same about most airlines in the future.

For many years, we have travelled to Europe each year and enjoyed splendod vacations!

This year we planned our FINAL trip to Europe. (DH is now 70, and we are just getting too old to drive safely in Europe).

We booked the trip of our lifetime. A TransAtlantic (13 days on RCI) -- 2 weeks in Europe --with European flights ALL booked on British Airways, and a TransAtlantic return on the Queen Mary. SOUNDS GREAT--RIGHT??

WELL NOW, British Airways tells us that since we are ONLY travelling in Europe, we can only check one bag per person! (50 pound weight maximum). THIS RULE TOOK EFFECT 13 FEB 07--Far(!) after our flights were PAID IN FULL!

Since we will be travelling for 6 weeks, we normally each take one large bag and one medium sized bag.

OK, we can do with 3 bags, (at 50 lbs each) but that means we will have to pay $110 per bag, per leg of our trip!! For us that will be a total of $220 to carry one extra bag--OR a total of $440 for the bags we carried free in the past.

This is a typical BA policy badly thought out and not taking in to account that sometimes people do not conform to their idea of the norm.

I think it would be worth firstly approaching BA and telling them of your special requirement, ie travelling from the States and not commencing your trip in the UK.

In addition can Cunard or RCI help with storage of bags required for the return transatlantic.

We live in Birmingham which is possibly to far away for u to store bags with us but would be only too willing to help with storage if that is a possibility.

We are approaching our hotel in Newark to see if hopefully they will store our bags whilst we are in Florida before returning home on the QM2 in August. If you are staying at a hotel in the UK they may be able to help in this way.

Hope BA can sort this for you.

Chris and Pam:)

This is from the 'Your Questions' section of the BA website:

Question: What is the latest position on excess baggage with British Airways?

Answer: ..... British Airways has absolutely no intention of discriminating against passengers who cannot comfortably carry a 23kg bag. Where it is clear that a passenger cannot manage one bag, we will let them check in an additional bag (or more) provided the total weight is within the 23 kg limit.

Hope this helps reassure you...

Before I would write such statements:

Check your itineries and the price of your ticket.

While British Airways offer discounted one-way-tickets other airlines do not it normally (only return-tickets).

Other airlines in Europe have limits of 20 kg for Economy passengers and charging you extra!

I would check this before - maybe British Airways is not so bad as others who have limits like 15 kgs.

If you reed further:

There is also a policy for prepaid excess baggage which make it cheaper.

£60 per bag or £42 per bag if paid online (includes 30% discount available when travel is completed by 30 September 2007.)

Check also this site for alternatives:

http://www.firstluggage.com/Booking/Booking.aspx

Regards,

HeinBloed

INTRA-European travel on BA has been ONE bag for years-the new luggage rules are an INCREASE from 20K to 23K.

I think the confusion comes in on flights from the US. A two/three leg BA trip FROM the USA has been and will continue to be 2 bags of 50 pounds each (actually 70 pounds each until Oct 1). If you ONLY book European travel, with NO USA leg, (which it appears is what you have done), you are bound by the European rules, which have INCREASED the weight limits. You are traveling by ship both ways, so you do not have the benefit of the USA luggage rules.

Just a couple of suggestions:

I THINK you are starting your European ground trip in Barcelona. And leaving Europe on the QM2 out of Southampton.

You can ship your cruise clothes from the USA to a hotel in London. If you ship via US post office, it would cost you slightly less than schlepping luggage around Europe and paying the overweight fees-about $175.00 for air mail parcel post-50 pounds-4-6 days delivery. Or $100.00 for 50# surface-4-6 weeks delivery.

You could also ship one/two bags with all your "cruise clothes" from Barcelona to London. Drop it off at a FedEx drop location in Barcelona to a hotel in London. It would cost about the same as shipping from the US via the post office-50#, overnight-$175.00 approx.

I do international logistics planning, ship freight all over the world. I am also relatively close-western Arizona. If I can help further, please email-greatam@earthlink.net

Unfortunately, the industry which is already in full cost-cutting and fare-cutting mode has to make money somehow and the low limits on luggage is just one of those things. I suspect what BA is doing is going to hit the industry.

Re-consider? Well, I did but am still flying BA. Here's my story. Taking Air Canada to the UK to catch my cruise in August. However, we're staying on after the cruise and ended up booking British Airways for the London-Gibraltar portion of our vacation. We figure we can get away doing this ONLY because of the left luggage stations at Gatwick. Sure, we'll pay a per bag fee but its extremely lower than the excess charge airlines charge and far cheaper than a courier service to ship all our unwanted clothes back to Canada. So we were lucky to find an alternate way to deal with the luggage situation.

However, I do agree that the cruise industry and airlines industries are complete opposites when it comes to expectations for clothes.

David

I made July 2006 a booking on BA for a flight in December 2006:

This was on my e-ticket:

-------

BAGGAGE

-------

Adult/child Baggage allowance is 1 piece per person

For detailed checked (hold) baggage allowance, including

infant allowances, click the link below

Baggage that exceeds allowances will incur a charge

No single item of baggage may weigh more than 23kg

For cabin bag allowance click the link below

Free checked baggage allowances...Major changes announced from 11 October 2006.

http://ba.com/baggagepolicy

You cannot say - that it was surprising if announcements are already made in July 2006...

And as greatam said: you get more than before - the only difference you pay for one more bag upto 23 kg - even it has only 1 kg. Before you just paid 1 kg excess baggage.

That's the difference.

Therefore I would not say that BA has ruined your cruise:

150 lbs = 68 kgs

If you manage 3 x 22,3 kg you will fit perfect and need only to pay for one suitcase for accessbaggage.

As the other cruisers said as well:

You can manage it that you send your 3rd bag from Barcelona to Southampton.

I told you to check BA's service http://www.firstluggage.com/rates.aspx

It's approx. 135 USD (= 69 GBP) for Barcelona Door to Southampton Door.

And you do not need to carry and to pay for 4 legs.

In this third bag you can stow all your formal dresses like tuxedo, cocktail dresses, shoes for formal nights - or will you need them enroute from Barcelona to Southampton???

Smart logistics!!!

(to greatam: I am Shipping manager in Chemistry industry - what are you doing???)

Regards,

HeinBloed

I made July 2006 a booking on BA for a flight in December 2006:

This was on my e-ticket:

-------

BAGGAGE

-------

Adult/child Baggage allowance is 1 piece per person

For detailed checked (hold) baggage allowance, including

infant allowances, click the link below

Baggage that exceeds allowances will incur a charge

No single item of baggage may weigh more than 23kg

For cabin bag allowance click the link below

Free checked baggage allowances...Major changes announced from 11 October 2006.

http://ba.com/baggagepolicy

You cannot say - that it was surprising if announcements are already made in July 2006...

And as greatam said: you get more than before - the only difference you pay for one more bag upto 23 kg - even it has only 1 kg. Before you just paid 1 kg excess baggage.

That's the difference.

Therefore I would not say that BA has ruined your cruise:

150 lbs = 68 kgs

If you manage 3 x 22,3 kg you will fit perfect and need only to pay for one suitcase for accessbaggage.

As the other cruisers said as well:

You can manage it that you send your 3rd bag from Barcelona to Southampton.

I told you to check BA's service http://www.firstluggage.com/rates.aspx

It's approx. 135 USD (= 69 GBP) for Barcelona Door to Southampton Door.

And you do not need to carry and to pay for 4 legs.

In this third bag you can stow all your formal dresses like tuxedo, cocktail dresses, shoes for formal nights - or will you need them enroute from Barcelona to Southampton???

Smart logistics!!!

(to greatam: I am Shipping manager in Chemistry industry - what are you doing???)

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived