white pass or bus up?

1stcruiser1

I've previously posted a question whether there was a disadvantage to going up to Carcross on the bus and back on the train (on the day we are in port that is the itinerary that Chilkoot uses--Wednesdays and Saturdays), and the only answer I got was that the views are the same. Anyone else have an opinion?

in the mornings you have a chance for fog...we had dense fog on the way up. the train back we had great views. but even that just depends on that day's weather.

i had listed, some time back, that on the round-trip train ride...on the ride up we had all the history and sites talked about. on the way down, except for a quiet reminder for photo ops, it was quiet. i have since heard that is the way it is most of the time. since the train crew just did the talk on the way up, they seem to take a break on the way down.

i think the main thing is what is offered the day you are in port and the time you want to go. for that you would need to get a break down from the vendor.

Since the train to Carcross is new for 2007, it remains to be seen if there will be narration both directions. If I were a betting woman, I'd say there will be narration both ways, because HAL uses the trains to Carcross for their cruisetours, and those people travel only one way.

Direct from CHILKOOT CHARTERS & TOURS today regarding some questions I e-mailed:

"...some of the people seem to be very confused. The concensus is that there is little or no narration on the south bound train trip. This is only the case on the round trip train excursion that's sold off the cruise ships. They don't pick up new passengers at the top so they don't repeat the narration on the return tour.

On the one way trips the complete tour is given each way so the narration is the same coming or going. Budget Queen is right for most part about the view! The train has a completely different perspective each way."

Hope this helps!

Direct from CHILKOOT CHARTERS & TOURS today regarding some questions I e-mailed:

"...some of the people seem to be very confused. The concensus is that there is little or no narration on the south bound train trip. This is only the case on the round trip train excursion that's sold off the cruise ships. They don't pick up new passengers at the top so they don't repeat the narration on the return tour.

On the one way trips the complete tour is given each way so the narration is the same coming or going. Budget Queen is right for most part about the view! The train has a completely different perspective each way."

Hope this helps!

Thanks for posting this. Darn - I should've bet! ;)

Just curious....I've seen mentioned a couple of times that there is a greater chance of fog in the morning in Skagway. So, it would seem that there is a better chance of a clear day on the later runs, say afternoon.

What about the late afternoon run? That one is from 4:30-7 pm, and is very attractive to us. Scheduling works well for our plans that day in Skagway, and it's a 2 1/2 rather than a 3 1/2 hour run... that also appeals to us.

Does the fog come back in during the late afternoon, or is it more of a morning phenomena?

Thanks,

Mary

Archived