Salt Vs Fresh Water Pools?????

I vote for fresh, fresh, fresh.

Salt water is discusting when you get it in your mouth or on your lips.

I wonder if there is any truth to the rumor that RCCL is changing from salt to fresh water.

Salt for me. Have done one Princess cruise, they have fresh water pools, by the forth day of the cruise the pool water was disgusting. It was so murky from all the suntan lotion and other things that I'd rather not think about. Princess didn't change the water in the pool all week. Where with salt, the water has always been clear and the water changed several times during the cruise.

I love salt water pools. I very rare swim in the ocean/sea because I HATE jellow fish ( I am not afraid of bites but can't stand it) so water pool is great for me.

I have my own pool in my yard and it's difficult to keep it clean for 3 of us plus occasional gests. (We buy very expensive "skin friendly" shock).

It's very difficult to keep fresh water pools clean with so many passengers.

I would like them to have one of each on board-something for everyone, you know. I get my fill of swimming in salt water in the ocean on excursions.

When we were on our Princess cruise, one pool was completely NASTY (dirty, slimy AND we were begging them to get the broken glass out of it which they never did-but that is a WHOLE 'nother story) and the other pool was PERFECT-not slimy or anything. We swam in that one every day. Both were fresh water (for those that don't know).

Salt-water pools are emptied and re-filled daily, and DO contain chlorine and less salt than pure seawater. Fresh-water pools are only emptied and re-filled weekly (or longer). Guess which pools get dirty and can stay dirty? We had a fresh-water pool on a HAL ship that was so gross by the 4th day, that it was emptied and re-filled, because there were so many complaints about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Salt!!!

I SO look forward to swimming in those sea water pools on cruises. My skin always feels so much softer and smoother afterwards. Chlorine doesn't have that effect at all.

Also, on another thread, another poster (who is a chemist) tells about interviewing the environmental office on one of the RCL ships. He was told that the sea water is on a continuous cycle of replacement/filtration/testing. (Even better than just a daily change, but the combination sounds unbeatable!)

If they used fresh water, how ofter could they change it? The logistics of daily changing of fresh pool water seem pretty staggering when you think about it...

Finally, sea-water pools are one of those special things about cruising. Fresh water pools, loaded with chlorine are everywhere... you can get a chlorine fix at you local YMCA, or just about any mom and pop motel, not to mention numerous back yards across the USA. How often do you get a chance to swim in a sea-water pool?

Before we went on our first cruise I thought I would not like the salt water pools. But once I realized that the water was new every day and thought about how awful the pool would have been with fresh water that wasn't changed all week, I realized that salt water is the way to go.

Archived