Buying Lunesta/Ambien?

Pat in NC

A few years back (maybe 5) we were in Cozumel. We packed too few diabetic meds for husband so luckily was able to get what we needed at a small out of the way drugstore there. I asked about ambien at that time and they did have it although a 30 pill package was almost $100. No bargain so I passed on it. I know people will say how can you buy unknown drugs, but it was the same name for us and we needed it. When we returned home I brought the pkg to our druggist and he said it was absolutely fine.

Can either of these sleeping pills be bought in Mexico without a prescription?

For what it is worth.....from someone who knows a little about this stuff....DON'T BUY these kinds of products without a prescription....and especially......do not by them in Mexico without a prescription. You are only endangering your health and the health of others who may get a hold of these products. This is a dangerous thing you are thinking about doing.....please don't.

I have friends in the Pharma business, unfortunately (jk), and we've discussed this before. From what they know it is believed somewhere around 50% of the drugs sold in Mexico are fake (sugar/water solutions). Now, I'm sure there is counterfeiting going on like there is with regards to cigars. How could there not be? Counterfeit drugs its a multi-million dollar industry. So, considering the money that is involved, I wouldn't doubt it.

That said, I'm not sure to believe if 50% is accurate, only because this is coming from Pharmaceutical companies and they might have exaggerated the number for their own benefit. However, both friends work for different companies and have each stated around 50%, so I'm inclined to believe this. I would strongly advise you do your homework and talk to a physician before potentially wasting money or risking your health. Just my $.02 :)

For what it is worth.....from someone who knows a little about this stuff....DON'T BUY these kinds of products without a prescription....and especially......do not by them in Mexico without a prescription. You are only endangering your health and the health of others who may get a hold of these products. This is a dangerous thing you are thinking about doing.....please don't.

I know of doctors who stock up on med's when visiting Mexico. There is no difference between the med's in Canada and Mexico verses in the U. S. And yes, you can get ambien in Cozumel. We just saw it when we were there last month. Of course pharmacists are going to try to talk people out of getting their medications out of the country. What would you expect them to say?

I know of doctors who stock up on med's when visiting Mexico. There is no difference between the med's in Canada and Mexico verses in the U. S. And yes, you can get ambien in Cozumel. We just saw it when we were there last month. Of course pharmacists are going to try to talk people out of getting their medications out of the country. What would you expect them to say?

And I know doctors who would never purchase anything in Mexico. You have no idea what you are talking about. This kind of advice is what gets people killed. Purchasing medication without a prescription is a prescrition for disaster. And for the pharmacies in Mexico? If you go to a "pharmacy" near the boarder where this kind of stuff may be available without prescriptions.....buyer beware. Just because you "saw" ambien on the shelf does not make it ambien. Please be more responsible.

And I know doctors who would never purchase anything in Mexico. You have no idea what you are talking about. This kind of advice is what gets people killed. Purchasing medication without a prescription is a prescrition for disaster. And for the pharmacies in Mexico? If you go to a "pharmacy" near the boarder where this kind of stuff may be available without prescriptions.....buyer beware. Just because you "saw" ambien on the shelf does not make it ambien. Please be more responsible.

As a physician, I find it appalling that someone would even think docs "stock up" on medication in Mexico. We do not. Most physicians are NOT in the pharmaceutical industry and have no interest in stockpiling medications for any reason. As for meds in Mexico, their products are not tested and what you think you are buying, you may not be. There may only be a fraction of the needed med or even a placebo. I would not buy them.

And a healthy reminder that if you need a prescription for something, its not that someone wants to make a buck off you, its because your health history needs to be taken into account before any new medications can be prescribed.

My 2 cents

As a physician, I find it appalling that someone would even think docs "stock up" on medication in Mexico. We do not. Most physicians are NOT in the pharmaceutical industry and have no interest in stockpiling medications for any reason. As for meds in Mexico, their products are not tested and what you think you are buying, you may not be. There may only be a fraction of the needed med or even a placebo. I would not buy them.

And a healthy reminder that if you need a prescription for something, its not that someone wants to make a buck off you, its because your health history needs to be taken into account before any new medications can be prescribed.

My 2 cents

Amen Brother. Thanks for the help.

The meds outside the United States will be the same, as long as you get real ones, there are alot of fakes though. And not as in Generics, i mean fakes, that have no effect whatsoever.

Sure, they are the same as long as they are the real ones. What a comment. Of course the real ones would be the same. THE TROUBLE IS WITH MEXICO IS THAT YOU DON'T KNOW IF THEY ARE REAL UNLESS YOU USE A PRESCRIPTION AND GO TO A REPUTABLE PHARMACY. Doing this without a prescription is NOT SAFE!!!! Get a grip and don't encourage people to not only break the law, but endanger their own safety!!!!!

The safe answer here is to bring a Rx with you for what you need, and find a trusted pharmacy, maybe by doing research ahead of time and/or from recommendations from ship staff.

It is well-known the Pharmaceutical companies sell the same drugs for much less in other companies. You can thank our legislators and our legal system for the high prices. So, it is very reasonable for consumers to want to fight back at the abuse in some small way by.

There are safe ways to do this, but be smart and be legitimate. If you really need the meds, a Rx is no problem. And finding a safe pharmacy should be no problem either, with some advance planning.

My family and I were in Puerto Vallarta in December and again in February and we were not successful in getting Ambien as they asked us for a "script" at numerous pharmacies. They carry Ambien but for some medications they do require a doctors prescription.

I really feel if you buy medicine in Mexico at a Walmart you can't go wrong. There are walmarts everywhere in Mexico. I think the walmart buyers are dealing with reputable companies that manufacture drugs. Just my opinion.

Why do so many people want to buy sleeping pills? By, the way, if anyone thinks they can buy drugs that are considered to be "controlled substances" in the US, you are looking for trouble! I was in a pharmacy in Cabo once when a couple of 30 something guys tried it. It wasn't pretty!:( Needless to say, they won't be trying that again!!!!!:eek:

Why do so many people want to buy sleeping pills? By, the way, if anyone thinks they can buy drugs that are considered to be "controlled substances" in the US, you are looking for trouble! I was in a pharmacy in Cabo once when a couple of 30 something guys tried it. It wasn't pretty!:( Needless to say, they won't be trying that again!!!!!:eek:

I would certainly be interested in what they did to these two guys to make sure that they don't try doing it again.

And when was that Cabo visit?

gary

A relative, along with everyone else working at that warehouse, were fired a couple of years ago. Seems that several thousand doses of Lipitor were hijacked somewhere and replaced with counterfeit pills.

This was done in the states, where two signature are required every time the product changes hands from the manufacturer.

Now lets go to Mexico where finding knockoff items happens all the time. Are you going to risk your life on medicine?

Bringing controlled substances back across the border these days is just asking for trouble. That aside, there are 2 other issues I'd like to address. Medications need to be kept at controlled ROOM temperature. That includes dry as opposed to humid in addition to temperature requirements. (of course, refrigerated items like insulin, duac, foradil, xalatan, etc are exceptions) So that being said, if you INSIST on buying your drugs there, at the VERY least, if the place isn't air-conditioned in the summer, walk out and find one that is. Next up, look at the products on the shelves when you are there. They are all mostly in the SAME TYPE OF PACKAGING AND LABELLING. Think logically, these are NOT all made by the same company so they have to ,at the very least, been re-packaged away from the manufacturer themself and who knows what's in them at THAT point.

• 3 weeks later...

I do believe you have to be careful, but that's like saying all the mexicans that need medicines and their children are killing themselves.

If you go to a walmart, and it is air conditioned or a sam's club, I believe you are in a safe atmosphere. If you bought Ambien, I know you can't right now, if it's fake you aren't going to sleep any better with it. I have never heard of people buying medicine in Mexico and dying.

Just use good judgement.

Archived