Scuba - from Shore or Boat?

Counting-Down-The-Days

My husband is wanting to try Discover Scuba and a friend recommended a program that starts from shore. That sounds fun but I want to see the reef! What are the differences, which would be better for a beginner, and which would give us the most for our money? Thanks!

Secondary questions:

Paying for cabs - do they accept U.S. currency?

Personal belongings - do we just leave our stuff on shore/boat while diving?

My husband is wanting to try Discover Scuba and a friend recommended a program that starts from shore. That sounds fun but I want to see the reef! What are the differences, which would be better for a beginner, and which would give us the most for our money?
In Cozumel the better diving is definitely done from a boat. Discover scuba dives are usually done from shore because it allows participants to stand in the shallow water as part of the class. It lets you get used to wearing the gear and breathing underwater and being able to just stand up when you want to is a great stress reliever for some people. That is hard to do from a boat. Often, the first dive is done from shore and an optional second dive is done from a boat and that is the way I'd recommend going.

Did you want some suggestions for discover scuba providers?

Paying for cabs - do they accept U.S. currency?
Definitely. Try to have small bills so you can make exact change as sometimes drivers are unable to make change. You might end up paying $20 for a $12 fare is all you have are $20's. Tipping taxi drivers isn't customary in Cozumel unless the driver really goes out of his way to give you extra special service.

Personal belongings - do we just leave our stuff on shore/boat while diving?
If diving from shore, you can leave your stuff with the dive op and if on a boat, it is no problem taking your stuff and it will be fine left on the boat.

Archived