Passport Changes for Children

mickmobo

Reading that .. it only effect land and sea entry points. It would seem the air requirment is still in place. If this is the case ... then all of the arguments on the boards about "what would happen if you had to fly back to the states" are still valid.

The major reason for this change is to accommodate children who live close to the Mexican or Canadian borders who routinely travel across the border for shopping or school trips. I live in northern Vermont and it is very common for families and schools to travel to Canada for sports events and competitions, cultural events, trips to the zoo, botanical gardens, or even for medical appointments. For many of these people, having to pay for a passport for their children to be able to participate would be a hardship.

If I were cruising with my children I would definitely not travel without a passport. If you had to leave the cruise and fly home in the event of an emergency you would definitely encounter problems bringing them back into the country without a passport. Though I am sure you would eventually be able to resolve the problem, it could end up being pretty pricey in the long run. Better to bite the bullet and get the passport.

Archived