Crown Grill And Sabatini's - Worth it ? Kids Prices ?

sunandfunatsea

We are on the Crown for the 3/24 sailing. We are trying to figure out which specialty restaurant we should go to or both. We also are traveling with kids (7,5,2) and wonder if they cost as much as adults ?

Thanks in advance for the info...

J-

The last thing I want to happen here is make this an attack on kids, etc. I am sure your kids are wonderful. However, I have 8 grandkids and do take them out to eat at home. I just can't imagine having a 2 year old sit through a 2-3hr dinner at Sabitinis. The Crown grill is known for the huge steaks (although you could probably get something for small kids??) Personally, I would stick with the regular dining room for the kids. Please don't take this personally. I just answered for a 'generic' point of view about young child in general. If it were me, I'd save the money for something they would enjoy and remember!

Janet

I have to agree with Sun&Sea on this. Children are wonderful and I love them but I wouldn't think of taking my grandkids to any kind of "fancy" restaurant whether at home or at sea. As wonderful as Kids are they are still kids and can become very disruptive for other diners as well as making it a bit harder for the parents to enjoy their "special evening". I think there are baby-sitter services on the ship so that you and your husband could use these evenings as a fun and romantic interlude for the two of you. High chairs and booster seats are a little awkward in a fine restaurant.

My husband and I just got off the Crown last weekend after doing back to backs and since we had 14 nights onboard we decided to do something I said I would never do: Pay for a specialty restaurant. We did the Crown Grill first...I had the Filet, my husband had the rib eye. It was OK but frankly I did not find it worth the $50.00 to eat there instead of the dining room! Maybe we have just been lucky ordering beef in the dining room but the beef tournedos available every night in the regular dining room were just as tasty and tender as my filet, and the prime rib I had twice during the 14 days, was tastier than any I had on previous cruises. I spoke to others on board who felt the same way about the Crown Grill...it was good but worth 50.00? no way...Oh I forgot to mention: this is a steak AND seafood place, but if you want a lobster entree it was 35.00 each not 25.00.

Sabatini's was very nice...a great view, interesting tastes of this and that, lots of time between the tastes.....leading up to the entree...quiet and peaceful place to spend the last night of the first week...so while most were packing, saying good byes etc we were up there and out of the way...it was a good night to try it..I don't know if they cut back on what they serve but we certainly did not get over-fed (not that we needed to be). but that's what you always hear about the place......I had the lobster tail (two small tails, each cut in half...same size as served in the regular dining room, but no extra charges over the 20.00 pp ...My husband had the veal chop..it looked better than what I had...would I do this again? No way. Like someone said that I talked to: "We should of spent the extra money on a special bottle of wine and ate in the dining room" ... I agree.

Kids? I'm a grandma and I love the little ones BUT, I really don't think they would have the patience to sit there as long as it takes between courses...just my opinion...I was getting restless myself!;)

Sue in Michigan

We are on the Crown for the 3/24 sailing. We are trying to figure out which specialty restaurant we should go to or both. We also are traveling with kids (7,5,2) and wonder if they cost as much as adults ?

Thanks in advance for the info...

J-

We have eaten at Sabatini's (on the CB, not on the Crown) and really enjoyed our meal. It is a very long meal though. Our DD ate with us (she was 5 at the time) and while she is just great at restaurants, and we brought plenty of coloring and other quiet activities for her, she was getting out of sorts by the end of the meal.

Whatever your decision, enjoy your cruise!!

Archived