What do you remember most about your very first cruise?

First cruise was in 1989 on the Carnival Festivale. Best memories (other than it being our honeymoon!) was our dining companions. We were seated with 3 other couples who were also on their honeymoon. We still keep in touch with one couple and have visited their home and gone on a joint 5 year anniversary together! We are also tentatively planning our 20th anniversary together in a couple years! Cruise to the Mediterranean is in the works.

I've cruised five times (all with my wife) since my first cruise in 1986 on the Carnival Festivale. The Festivale was truly a tub by today's standards - a former freighter, only 26,000 tons. The ship wasn't glitzy or classy but I had such a good time that I dreamed of going on another cruise for years until I got married and cuised on the Grand Princess in 2002.

I agree with everyone who said that the thrill of the unknown was a large part of the enjoyment. I cruised with three other single guys in an inside cabin not far from the water line. (The dining room might have been at or below the waterline as there were no portholes and it was definitely, lower than our cabin.) The ship vibrated most of the time. By the way the cabin was pretty large so it wasn't really crowded. None of us knew the "rules" of cruising. We didn't know you could ask for two entrees or two deserts in the dining room. We sat at a table for six with two sixty something ladies. One was a sweet grandmotherly type; the other was kind of cranky, but she came around. They enjoyed listening to our tales of being drunk before noon on our Bahamas excursion.

I remember the beauty of the moon reflecting off the waters and the distant lights on islands that we passed in the night. Most of all I remember how tough it was to join the real world again after the cruise and how I tried to figure out how to stay on the ship (another recurring theme).

I am set to sail the Voyager on 4/7 and expect to enjoy it greatly. It will never match the thrill of my first time!

John in OH

1986 Festivale

2002 Grand Princess

2004 Galaxy

2005 Carribean Princess

2005 Saphire Princess (Alaska)

2006 Adventurer of the Sea

Our first cruise was just done on a whim. We had done plenty of land based vacations and loved most of them. We decided to do something different.

There are so many memories from that first one on Carnival Jubilee.

The size of the ship, the first dinner, the first port of call, the 3 of us trying to sleep in the same room ( Me, DW & 16 yo DD) with the DD in a pull down. I even had to sleep up there one night.:p

But by far the best memory was the absolutely freedom that we felt. To do what we wanted when we wanted without any pressure or care in the world.

Cruising has come a long way baby!

My first cruises was in 1975 on the Holland America Veendam. It was fun because I was with my family but I can't remember much about the ship. We sailed on Volendam a few years later and I had a great time partying with the ships officers but again can't remember much about the ship. My third cruise was on a tub called the VeraCruz, which was fun but the ship was ugly! Don't get me wrong, I had a blast on all of the cruises because of the people on board.

So in 1996, almost 21 years since my first cruise I boarded the Crown Princess to Alaska. It was like a whole new world of cruising and I have been hooked ever since. Ships in the 70s and 80s really looked like the ship on the show the "Love Boat"- really basic, no soaring atriums, no fancy dining rooms, just small lounges where you would watch ballroom dancers perform or some cheesy lounge lizard singer. It was still fun back then but the ships were tubs compared to now.

Our very first cruise was on Radiance and the thing we remember most was an 18 degree list while we were in St Lucia. I was in the bathroom and went stumbling out into the main cabin while my wife went moving towards the balcony door. When we got our balance we could see the ocean directly in front of the balcony and the pool was flowing over the side. As we were getting our balance we could hear glasses breaking everywhere.

Later we were getting off the ship and you could see broken glasses and bottles in the liquor store everywhere. By the time we reboarded you could not tell anything had happened. Later that night the captain came on the PA and told us that the ship had been hit by a heavy wind and listed 18 degrees.

Happened on my birthday so that made it even more memorable.:D

Our very first cruise was on Radiance and the thing we remember most was an 18 degree list while we were in St Lucia. I was in the bathroom and went stumbling out into the main cabin while my wife went moving towards the balcony door. When we got our balance we could see the ocean directly in front of the balcony and the pool was flowing over the side. As we were getting our balance we could hear glasses breaking everywhere.

Later we were getting off the ship and you could see broken glasses and bottles in the liquor store everywhere. By the time we reboarded you could not tell anything had happened. Later that night the captain came on the PA and told us that the ship had been hit by a heavy wind and listed 18 degrees.

Happened on my birthday so that made it even more memorable.:D

According to your signature, you either had a February Birthday already or one due any day?

So,

Happy Birthday to You!

Happy Birthday to You!

Happy Birthday to cyscopup

Happy Birthday to You!

After all the original headache getting to the Monarch, the sail away was one of the highlights. There was a little restuarant at the port and when the ship started sailing away, the people in the restaurant came outside and started waving and cheering. Remebering that always puts a smile on my face

The best thing (of many many many...... things) was that when I got to the airport and was told I didn't have to get my bags, the cruise line would get them and deliver them to my stateroom.

Was so.....inexperienced and there was not the high level of security back then...felt I was being treated like a king.

Dave

Our first cruise was our honeymoon, so there are many memories. But what I think was so funny, we went to the TA and said we wanted a cruise, didn't know anything about the different lines or the types of ships. Thought they were all the same. Ended up on NCL's Southward, a 16,000 ton older ship ion an 8 day western Caribbean itinerary. Of course we had a blast. What we remember most about the ship was the incredible service at dinner. The ship had less than 500 passengers and the food was fabulous and our dinner partners were a couple in their late 70's who had been married forever. They were very fun and young at heart, I still remember their names, Charles and Adelwiese. The second thing that stands out was the entertainment. They picked up entertainers in each port who did they're show and then got off at the next port and another troupe would come on board. Very fun having all the Caribbean flavor in the shows.

My first cruise was on the Sovereign in December 1990. Seeing her for the first time from the bus I couldn't get over how big she was. You could use cash everywhere on the ship and my husband, who had cruised before, insisted we get a room with a tub. (It was a cute little thing and I had no idea until a few years later what the big deal was with a tub instead of just a shower.)

We did a 7 day Eastern Caribbean and, on the advice of an employee, didn't disembark in Puerto Rico. At dinner that night, everyone was talking about the murder that had taken place that afternoon while they were shopping! It was three more cruises before I finally got off the ship in San Juan and I still prefer not to.

Smart casual didn't exist, we dressed for dinner every night. Formal nights meant gowns and tuxes for everyone. Midnight buffets were works of art every night.

I still have the instructions we received at the Napkin Folding class and the ornaments we took off many of the Christmas trees.

No matter how many times we cruise, or what itinerary, Sovereign and the Eastern Caribbean will always have a special place in my heart. They were my first............

It was almost 17 years ago, and I remember so many things! It was my only cruise before getting married, and I have been on 16 cruises since with DH (15 of them with RCCL). I went with 2 girlfriends on the Carnival Jubilee to the Mexican Riviera. Like so many people, I had only shows of “The Love Boat” to go by, and everything was new and thrilling. Here are some other memories:

- brought 3 of our male friends on board who were allowed as our guests until sailing time

- played the “Love Boat Drinking Game” on the first night in the disco club – I picked the Head of Security, who of course, had to keep coming in and out of the disco – he was quite a bit older, but we talked and danced on more than one occasion!

- Had wonderful tablemates, including grandparents who had cruised 26 times – we called them our “Cruise Mentors” – and we still exchange Christmas cards every year

- Went parasailing and banana boat riding for the first time in Mazatlan – both were a blast!

- Then was soaking wet at Senor Frogs where we proceeded to get drunk with many members of the cruise staff

- Next morning, went on a tender to Cabo San Lucas very hung over, and had to keep a straight face while a very staunch older person complained about the drunk people who had come back from Senor Frogs the evening before and made a ruckus in the dining room

- Did the song “Baby Love” in the lip sync contest – our Cruise Mentors’ cabin TV was broken, so they filmed my performance on their camcorder from one of the public TV’s that was showing it – then “got busted” by the crew for filming versus buying the ship’s daily video (which was $40, can you believe it?)

- My girlfriends and I danced with the Captain, who looked a lot like Napolean, in the disco one night

- Our waiter in the Dining Room sang “Danny Boy” with a lilting tenor – it was wonderful!

- One night the Dinner had a “New Year’s Eve” theme with party hats and noisemakers – our table of 10 got everyone in the Dining Room to blow their horns and noisemakers – what a kick!

- My whole cabin bill consisted of charges for drinks and photos

There’s more but I’ll stop now………….

I think you can guess that I got hooked on cruising!

I was 18 and went with my parents to the Caribbean. I was quite the wild child (hey it was the 70's) and I caught up with a bunch of the crew that were swimming in the ocean in St. Thomas.

They kept saying (in Italian and Portugese and I had no clue) watch down, watch down.

I thought they wanted me to see the clear water and pretty rocks.........until I stepped on a sea urchin and all the spines broke off in my foot.

YIKES.........hurt like hell, burned, stung and then they wouldn't come out, broke off.....Dr. on board said I had to just let them work themselves out.

No one had any pain medication, but my mother's friend had some valium and I took some.........boy was I looped!

Archived