regional train or Intercity Plus from Rome to Civi?

OK, I have pretty well decided to take the train from Rome to Civitavecchia.

My question to experienced train people, do I take the REgional train (no reservations, 1.15 hours) or do I take the InterCity Plus (reserved seating, first class, 11 Euro, 45 minutes). We have taken the Regional train, which is pretty busy but have no experience with the other. Anyone taken the Intercity?

I would like to avoid the pushing and shoving to get onto the Regional train.

Also, is the platform info written on the ticket? We had a lot of trouble finding the right platform last time, the overhead bulletin boards were very hard to read. (In 2006 we left from platform 27 - is this standard, for all trains to Civi?)

Thanks in advance.

Hello -

we used from Civitavecchia to Rome the Regional Train as we wanted to get off at Roma S. Pietro (St. Peter).

But back from Rome we used the InterCity which left indeed from the platforms 20 and up at Roma Termini. This train stops only once in Rome area and then goes nonstop to Civitavecchia.

We used 1st class tickets but 2nd class is also compartments of 6 like 1st class.

It's more comfortable:

Regional train has this configuration

window

[ ][ ]

[ ][ ]

aisle

[ ][ ]

[ ][ ]

window

open cars face to face 2 to 2 on both side

double decker

no 1st class

InterCity has this configuration

window

[ ]I[ ]I

[ ]I[ ]I

[ ]I[ ]I

------------

aisle

window

compartents of 6 face to face 3 to 3

1st class only a little more space

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you, Heinbloed. Your post was very helpful.

So is it easier to board the Intercity, less pushing and shoving?

With luggage we want a more orderly boarding that we experienced with the Regional train.

We would be getting the train on a Wednesday morning, so I am hoping it is not as crazy busy.

Thank you, Heinbloed. Your post was very helpful.

So is it easier to board the Intercity, less pushing and shoving?

With luggage we want a more orderly boarding that we experienced with the Regional train.

We would be getting the train on a Wednesday morning, so I am hoping it is not as crazy busy.

Hmmm...

I would not say:

pro Intercity

speed to Civitavecchia

not sure: our 1st class coach was the first one facing to the railways terminal building

very good air-condition in 1st class coach!

contra Intercity

it's long distance-train - so not anti-cycle - could be full

you will arrive in Civitavecchia in the center platform which means additional stairways down and up

steps to board the InterCity in Roma Termini was higher

older railcars

pro Regional train

anti-cycle - everybody GOES to Rome for work and not to Civitavecchia - therefore should be very empty

trains terminating in Civitavechhia arrives outside platform-roof BUT same level as exit. So no stairways!!!

all announcement also in English as they used have all international cruisers onboard!

contra Regional train

no 1st class

double decker - but I think to remember that downstairs are multi-purpose compartments where you are sitting face to face but back to the windows!

slower trains - stops at all or all major stations along

I know that you will hate me but it's a question of personal preferences!!!

@Queen Mimi: generally yes: if you need only the pure rail transfer without public transit in Rome City itself you should do it:

Check at http://www.trenitalia.com and pay in advance with your credit card.

Collect your ticket at this yellow machine - they "speak" English and can be operated like you are going to a check-in counter:

MusCvBahnhofAutomat-vi.jpg

BUT DO NOT FORGET TO CANCEL/VALIDATE YOUR TICKET AT THIS YELLOW BOX - OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE PUNISHED. NO MERCY FOR FOREIGN TOURISTS WHO DO NOT SPEAK ITALIAN!!!

MusCvEntwerter-vi.jpg

Hope these information are helpful to make your descisions!

Regards,

HeinBloed

We'll be seeing you! I am on the cruise with you! We are staying in Rome pre cruise. We bought the transfers from Carnival. 4 women 2 bags plus carryons.....I know we have to park for a month instead of three weeks! LOL

See you in Rome!

Alice Faye

PS are you in our roll call? can't remember! Brain dead from trying to get winter clothes for the cruise!:rolleyes: :) :cool:

Archived