Looking for advice.....

jbmanuel

Hi all, heading to Belize in 2 weeks...

Heres out story, family of 3 , MY husband and I are in our late 30s My husband has a bad back,

My 14 year old son IS NOT a dare devil and I am pretty laid back myself. We are good swimmers but not sun worshipers.

We like to see how people live and love to see animals.

I don't want to spend port day shopping (did that in St Thomas and St Marteen) I am not sure what to book. I am open to suggestions....I was looking through the posts but I feel like I am getting lost. There is just so much

HELP!!!!

Jackie

Hi all, heading to Belize in 2 weeks...

Heres out story, family of 3 , MY husband and I are in our late 30s My husband has a bad back,

My 14 year old son IS NOT a dare devil and I am pretty laid back myself. We are good swimmers but not sun worshipers.

We like to see how people live and love to see animals.

I don't want to spend port day shopping (did that in St Thomas and St Marteen) I am not sure what to book. I am open to suggestions....I was looking through the posts but I feel like I am getting lost. There is just so much

HELP!!!!

Jackie

IMHO, I would just take a water taxi to Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye (Caulker is shorter trip). You will meet many friendly locals, can get some food and drink, hang out by the water, purchase some souvenirs (if you like hot sauce, the make the best in Belize, it is called Marie's).

JB,

We just got back from Belize and our story is much the same as yours; bad backs, older teen daughters with one suffering from chronic fatigue - we knew we would have to take it easy. We went on the BACAB Eco park butterfly tour. Our tour guide was terrific and filled us in on the history of Belize as well as how people live and their standard of living etc. We drove past farms and other dwellings and a beautiful river (as well as through some city streets) to get there. The Butterfly tour was rather short (45 minutes maybe an hour) and we were fascinated. Then we had a nice lunch in the shade and swam in the most beautiful outdoor pool with a waterfall to swim in and even a short water slide. We relaxed by the side of the pool in hammocks under shade trees. From time to time we dipped into the pool. It was huge and very few people were with us so it was the most beautiful and relaxing time. The whole trip was about 4 1/2 hours and we had plenty of energy to shop a bit at the pier.

Contact Nacho and Cynthia. Explain to them your situation and have them offer alternatives. They are locals, born and raised in Belize. You mostly hear about them on the boards here in connection with Cave Tubing and Ziplining, but they can do anything. They will create a customized day for you doing whatever you wish. Ruins, beach, sites, etc.

Contact them. Look on ncqadventuretoursdotcom. I had an absolutely fabulous day with them in Early Feb. If I go back to Belize I will do another tour with them.

I have been in a real quandry about Belize too...

I am booking Altun Ha ruins with Trevor at smugglersrunbelize.com

this is a plantation that has horseback riding....family style Belize lunch, homemade lime pies from their groves....he seems very nice and I have read a lot of raves about the place

I think IF you want to go to a beach tour you should realize that the beaches are NORTH of the ship...ship excursions tender you out to them and it saves you a lot of time

Otherwise you would have to tender south to the pier *15 to 20 minutes...walk out to the ferry port/marina...not too pleasant a walk with the locals begging etc and hassling people...and then take a ferry for 50 minutes north...really a waste of time and the ship tour are not that expensive

the other ship tours might not be so great but IF you want a beach please do check out the logistics

I am pretty excited about Smugglers run :0

We took the Belikin Brewery and City tour with Coral Breezes. The brewery tour wasn't much worth doing, although the beer is good and free and all you can drink.

I enjoyed the city tour that took you through the north of the city, to the brewery (out by the airport) and then back through the poorer south side of the city. Saw the middle class neighborhood where our guide/driver lived and learned a lot about the city in general. Crossed the swing bridge (boy, it's small!), saw the old Anglican church, etc. Got stuck in traffic on Regent street on the way back to the pier, which stressed out our guide/driver much more than it did the 3 of us passengers. Saw a couple sets of cruise passengers wandering around quite a ways from the pier - man did they stick out!

So, if you want to see how folks live in Belize City, pretty much any city tour booked through a reputable company will do the trick.

Archived