Dual citizen-Documents?

glen tev

My sister-inlaw was born on the St regis reservation in ontario,canada.60 years ago.This is on her birth certificate.Her father is a american and mother mohawk indian.We believe this gives her dual citizen ship.She is married to a american.She has a ny drivers licence.My question is on the pre-registration form on ncl web site-do i click us citizen or canadian?will she have to check in at boarding in the canadian line?My brotherinlaw has the same situation.He went on Rccl 2 years ago and didn't have to do anything different.Any help is appreciated.

if her citizenship is Canadian then she is a Canadian and if her citizenship is American she is American. Simple. It doesn't matter where you reside, it is the citizenship which matters. You can be a Canadian citizen and reside in the U.S., but that does not make you an American or visa versa.

Well to answer the question,i called NCL.Any person of American indian heritage born on a reservation in ontario can is a us citizen.The mowhawks moved to the reservation from central Ny years ago thanks to the great treatment they recieved by the US govt.Like i said there dual citizens.The gentleman at NCL stated that i fill it out as US citizen on the pre-form registration.

She isn't a USA citizen until she goes through the process of becoming one.

Not necessarely:

Jus sanguinis (Latin for "right of blood") is a right by which nationality or citizenship can be recognized to any individual born to a parent who is a national or citizen of that state. It contrasts with jus soli (Latin for "right of soil").

Under US law, one may derive their citizenship if one of their parents is a US citizen. There are certain criterias that need to be met though.

Archived