Just wondering if anyone has a recent Veendam Review?

Toad

Hi, Toad

When I was first thinking of booking the Veendam, I was looking for reviews and couldn't find much that was recent. For some reason, it seems that not too many Veendam passengers do reviews after their cruises. Like you, I would be happy to hear from anyone who has been on the Veendam recently.

I am not a writer, but will do a little review for you. We were on the Veendam over New Years and had the best cruise yet. The ship has all the updates on her now, last time we cruised on her, she was in bad need of a refurbish. The food in all venues was wonderful, service's people were outstanding, the beds are to die for. Did not do any of the shows as I prefer the piano bar and Hal had one of the best piano player/singer that they have right now, his name is JP Nadeau. I think he will be on until the 10 of March, take a break and then will be entertaining on the Rotterdam, doing Europe, starting in May. We did not do alot of ports, it was Grand Turk, Grand Caymen, and Hal's island. We have been to Grand Caymen lots of time and their island, but first time in Grand Turk. It is a island in the making, probably someday it will be another Grand Caymen.

I am so jealous that you all will be sailing on her soon, you will have a wonderful cruise.

Toad,

We were on the Veendam for 34 days in September/October and I did a number of reviews.

Here are the links:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=437464

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=437731

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=437733

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=437735

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=437758

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=437761

The first one is a precis of the overall cruise and then the others are more of a diary of our 34 day trip.

I hope this helps in the lead up to your cruise. We loved the Veendam, her crew and her Captain. It was a fantastic 34 days.

Jennie

Toad: We just returned from a combined 14 day Southern Caribbean and 7 day Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Veendam. We had a blast! The ship is beautiful, the staff (as always) is outstanding.

J.P. Nadeau was great - we saw him every evening in the piano bar.

We've been to the Caribbean several times, but enjoyed some new adventures. Bioluminescent kayak was good (but NOT if you have a bad back!), snorkeling in Bonaire, and touring Barbados (get to North Shore no matter what!)

I think you should get really excited! You'll have a good time.

Miss Priss

We also returned from the 14 day last Sunday - am still busy catching up but can give you a few thoughts.

Did Pinnacle dining for the 1st time ever - our group of four thought it was as good as any steakhouse we had been to (includes Shulas, Ruths Chris, etc.).

Staff was shorthanded especially in dining room. According to discussions with some of the crew - HAL recently rescinded a policy where they would not pay the crew's way home at the end of a contract. Supposedly this policy lasted for two years and the detrimental effects (loss of crew) is still being felt.

Ship very clean and well kept up.

Whoever runs the recorded music that plays in the Lido pool area should look for another position. Volume up then down, music entirely inappropriate for the age of most pax.

Explorations coffee shop 1st ran out of cup lids, then large cups and cup sleeves. A little thing but annoying.

Bartenders as good as always.

If you have questions let me know and will do best to answer.

We were on the Feb 4 sailing and had a fantastic time. Our only problem was that my wife and dinner companion had to wear a sweater or shawl to the dining room. We had table 20 (upper,port side by a window). You could feel the cold air. Food was wonderful. First day out of Tampa was not nice, 25 foot seas and 80 mph winds across the decks. The Captain postponed the Reception until day 2. If you don't have a tour in Grenada I'd recommend Mandoo. He is wonderful, only 10 of us in a new 29 passenger bus.

Jimmy2X Was it as good as the Ryndam a year ago? I think we were on the same 14 day last February? Little concerned about your short staff comments.... is HAL now paying for return flights?

Thanks to evreyone else for your comments. Toad

I too will be sailing this same 14 day Southern Caribbean trip on the Veendam in November of this year.

Any suggrestions and information anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

TOAD when you get back please share with us your trip.

I was on the Veendam two years ago and loved it. The crew was fantastic. HAL is my favorite line.

Thank you all for taking the time to enlighten us.

Bandit

Jimmy2X Was it as good as the Ryndam a year ago? I think we were on the same 14 day last February? Little concerned about your short staff comments.... is HAL now paying for return flights?

Overall yes, and yes we were and yes they are. I do believe that what the four of us perceived as short-staffing (confirmed by a few of the service members of the crew) is the residue of a short-sighted policy. Most of us have been in situations where the bean-counters made foolish decisions that increased the profit short-term but had unforseen consequences. It is somewhat hard to believe that HAL could not see that such a policy wouild hurt retention.

Just off the Veendam Sunday. I was really impressed with the ship. The rooms were light and beautiful. The staff was great. Make sure to say hi to Shy in the Lido, handing out trays. We thought the service in the dining room was good, but for us the temp was uncomfortably warm (we had lower section, first seating). It was a Western Caribbean cruise, with some very interesting ports of call. We, too, had a rough sail away out of Tampa. Being a smaller ship than our last cruise, I was surprised how much we felt the gentle rolling through the entire cruise. As a matter of fact, I can't get my house to stop rolling, either! You should have a great time, we did!

... service in the dining room was good, but for us the temp was uncomfortably warm (we had lower section, first seating).

That's funny, because we had lower/early and for us the room was always too cold when we first went in, and didn't warm up closer to our liking until we were about done! :D Maybe our (and other's) complaints made them push the temp up for you! :D

Archived