Where can we see red lava?

timespliters

Hi Guys.......

This will be my first trip in Nov. to Hawaii . If I go to Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park will I see lava ? What is the best way to see lava and any other good placed not to be missed? As only on the island for 1 day then we sail to another one.

Thanks

james

Yes, you just may get to see lava there if there is a visable lava flow that day. When we were there in June the lava was flowing nicely, but we were unable to walk out to it, because we had young children with us. Our shipmates said it was a great exerience. You will need to drive all the way to the end of the road, where it meets the ocean, park your car and stop at the Ranger station. They can tell you if the lava is visable that day. You have to walk a couple of miles from the Ranger station to see it and there is an age limit. I can't remember now, but I think you had to be atleast 7 or 8. Even though we didn't go any further than the Ranger station, the drive to it was beautiful and really incrediable. You drive down a winding road, down the side of the volcano/mountain heading towards the ocean. It is really difficult to describe, but it is like no other place or experience!

There was lava flowing the day we went to Volcanoes National Park. Be advised however that you will need to hike approx 1.5 miles each way to see it. And they tell me it was close that day. Hikes may be much longer. Doesn't sound like a long hike, but it is over hardened lava. As I am not in very good shape it was very difficult, but worth it in the end. They told us no children under 10. Be sure to wear sneakers and bring sunscreen. I don't remember the name of the company. We booked it through the ship.

Be sure to take water and wear hard-soled hiking boots and long pants - it's really a challenging hike and very hot. Go as early as you can in the morning. I think I read somewhere that you can go just before sunset but you should have a flashlight in case you get caught after dark. I would think the park closes at sunset but I thought I read that somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

The park does not close at sunset. It is awesome to see the flow at night. It is essential to have a flashlight, and it is still somewhat dangerous. I have scars on both my knees to prove it! However, I was foolishly wearing shorts at the time. I would still do it again! My advice is to time your walk so you arrive at the flow around dark time. Get the benefit of sunlight on your way up, and then pray for safety on the way back. Take water. It is hot up there!

I guess if we all stick around long enough we might be able to see another volcano erupt soon....have you seen the latest news articles?

Welcome 808....I can finally classify myself as local and not tourist...we're officially over 1 year now.

Archived