Good Friday (April 6) - Stores & Bars Open?

MNJewels

Does this mean the taxi's won't be operating? We wanted to take a taxi to a beach and do our own thing that day.

I can't believe the govt would mandate shops in the port to be closed... they thrive on our port days!

My family and I will be in St. Maarten on Good Friday also (aboard the Adventure of the Seas) and from what I saw on one website, Christmas and Good Friday are the two main holidays there and most everything is closed! My husband and I were there once before on a cruise, and it just happened to be Mother's Day (also on a Sunday) and most of the shops and restaurants on the French side were closed then also! Drat. I've emailed the St. Maarten tourist board for information on whether or not taxis will be available for trips to the beaches, and whether or not the vendors renting chairs and umbrellas, snorkel and scuba gear, etc. will be open. If I get a response (probably not until Monday at least) I will post it here!

I spend Easter in St. Martin Every year. The stores are closed. The restaurants are usually opened. Everything on the beach is open. i think the taxi's are running. You could always rent a car ahead. Its a good day to ride around the island.

Ronnie

the taxis are running. some may take the day off but these are independently owned and operated and most taxi drivers will work whenever they can.

they can tell you whwich beach abrs are open and you can tour the island, have lunch somewhere at a beach bar, take a swim, and your day is done.

I have quoted from the legal holiday citation here before:

The aforementioned is not applicable to those businesses mentioned in article 3 of the law on shop closure, i.e. pharmacies, as far as it concerns the sale of medicines and medical products; bars, restaurants; hotels and guesthouses; stores located in hotels, on airport premises and on harbor premises; funeral parlors; gas stations and bakeries selling pastries, milk and milk products.

This would infer that bars, restaurants and shops located in hotels or at the airport or the cruise facility could remain open.

The Island Governor had indicated that he would prefer that ALL shops would close, and many will, but I believe that many shops will remain open, even on holidays such as Good Friday, Easter and Christmas.

I would expect many taxi's available, most restaurants and beach facilities to be open, and most of the shops in hotels, at the airport, and at the cruise facility to be open.

gary

Archived