Booked Hertz one way from IAH to Galveston and back after cruise

March Cruiser

I just wanted to see if anyone else had done this, I have heard various talk about the availability of cars for one-way and also of surcharges... I am a AAA member and got a full size (like a Taurus) one way from IAH to drop off in Galveston for $105 including taxes (they said there was no drop off charge) and $55 or so for the return trip to the airport after the cruise. So total, it is the same price as the shuttle, but we will have a little more flexibility with times and can get around Galveston a little on our day back, b/c our flight doesn't leave until 6:30 PM.

Any thoughts on this - is it better than the shuttle? Is the car pick up and drop off a pain?

Also, we are staying at the Harbor House and I understand we can walk, which I would prefer to shuttling.... should I just have my DH return the car early, right at 9AM and then get a ride back to the hotel and then we can walk? Or would the Hertz shuttle be better?

TIA for any advice!

Chandra

I just wanted to see if anyone else had done this, I have heard various talk about the availability of cars for one-way and also of surcharges... I am a AAA member and got a full size (like a Taurus) one way from IAH to drop off in Galveston for $105 including taxes (they said there was no drop off charge) and $55 or so for the return trip to the airport after the cruise. So total, it is the same price as the shuttle, but we will have a little more flexibility with times and can get around Galveston a little on our day back, b/c our flight doesn't leave until 6:30 PM.

Any thoughts on this - is it better than the shuttle? Is the car pick up and drop off a pain?

Also, we are staying at the Harbor House and I understand we can walk, which I would prefer to shuttling.... should I just have my DH return the car early, right at 9AM and then get a ride back to the hotel and then we can walk? Or would the Hertz shuttle be better?

TIA for any advice!

Chandra

We would always prefer to rent a car verses using the shuttle. We like the freedom to see the area and explore. Since the prices are similar I would rent the car. The Hertz office is right on Broadway which is the main road in the town. Hertz will pick you up and drop you off at the pier if you choose. It's all very easy.

I just booked a one-way rental thru Hertz from IAH to Galveston and another one from Galveston to IAH for our April Cruise. I couldn't make a reservation to drop off the car at the Galveston Cruise Terminal Hertz so I have to drop off at the 6115 Avenue L location. Does anyone know if they have a shuttle from this location to the cruise terminal? I was able to book from Galveston Cruise Terminal to IAH. BTW, One way full size car from Hertz IAH to Galveston $116 and Galveston to IAH $74 (w/ all the xtra charges). Thanks for any info:)

I used Enterprise Car Rental for a one way from Houston Intercontinental to Galveston. It cost about $86.00 after all junk fees, drop off charges and taxes were added. I liked the service at the IAH Airport and in Galveston. They drove us all to the cruise terminal in a van after I dropped off the car. I came in the day before and stayed at a Hotel near the Airport and then toured the Houston area on the way to Port in Galveston. I thought Houston was one of the ugliest Metro Areas I had ever seen but liked the flexibility of my car rental.

On the way back I went on the official bus transfer and paid $33 a piece. I found that the bus was cheaper-- but a big hassle. We sat on the bus for 90 minutes in the morning at the port waiting for it to fill up and then stopped at both Airports. Some people missed their flights due to the delay. I liked the car rental for flexibility.

Hertz wrote back to me and said they do provide shuttle service from the 6115 Avenue L location in Galveston to the cruise ship terminal. Not sure if that question was answered anywhere else.

I am renting a car for my 4/2 Ecstasy cruise as well. What I am doing though is renting for the week. We are flying to HOU on Sunday and then driving to Galveston, staying at the Galvez. They have free parking for the week and they will shuttle you to the port and back as well for free. Weekly rates are cheaper, and less of a hassle than going back and forth to the rental office.

We also have a $97 rate at the Galvez(thanks to DH AARP)

• 1 month later...

Archived