How do you decide what ship?

ctnurse

I am trying to plan our first cruise. We usually do AIs and want to try a cruise. I have decided on Carnival. It will be husband,38 me 34 and DS 3. Any tips. We want a 7 -9 day cruise out of an eastcoast port. thanks This is my 1st post.

Welcome to the Boards.

I like to look at Ports of call when I book and then I see which ship is going there and when.

I don't think there is a Bad ship and if you don't have small children then all ships will be great.

When are you looking to Sail?

oops, you have a 3 year old. all Carnival ships have Camp Carnival and he will Just love it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Since you have already figured out that you want an East coast port, that will help eliminate some ships.

Have you been to Carnival.com yet? You can search for a cruise based on the number of days you want, and the port you want to sail out of, and the itinerary you want. It will bring up all the choices with those criteria.

You might consider the Miracle, which will be sailing out of NY beginning mid-April this year. It's a great ship! We sailed on her out of Tampa last March and loved the ship and staff.

When you get it narrowed down a bit more, maybe we can help you out with more specific questions.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the tips. I have checked out carnival but will have to look at the stops again. I will have to look at the mircle. Does anyone have info on camp carnival. DS goes to daycare and loved the kids club in Jamacia. Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I have checked out carnival but will have to look at the stops again. I will have to look at the mircle. Does anyone have info on camp carnival. DS goes to daycare and loved the kids club in Jamacia. Thanks

I would look at the ports of call and more importantly look at how long the ship is at each port. When a ship only stays at a port for a few hours it makes the stop much less useful. Also, the longer cruises are on the newer, bigger and nicer ships which you probably want to take into consideration.Greg

I would look at the ports of call and more importantly look at how long the ship is at each port. When a ship only stays at a port for a few hours it makes the stop much less useful. Also, the longer cruises are on the newer, bigger and nicer ships which you probably want to take into consideration.Greg

My first cruise, I checked out all the reviews till I found a ship and ports that people seemed to really like. It depends on what you want to do. If there is something specific that you would like to do, go for it. Also, consider the days at sea. My husband loves them and thinks they are great, but I prefer more stops and destinations. The ships are very similar, I agree that it's mostly about where you want to go.

Good Luck with your search,

Karla

I would look at the ports of call and more importantly look at how long the ship is at each port. When a ship only stays at a port for a few hours it makes the stop much less useful

Was going to suggest the exact same thing, but Greg beat me to it (plus not being able to post almost anything tonight while this @%# server continues to have glitches).

As you've already heard, Carnival Miracle is a glorious ship, and I highly recommend it as well. No matter what you choose, I hope you'll have a fantastic time on Carnival. Also. . . welcome to the CC boards!!

The choice is a factor of what is available on the date you wish to travel, where it goes and the cost. I would suggest the Eastern Car. for the first timers as there are a lot of good ports of call. All ports have good shopping, lots to see and can be seen without having to take a ship tour. Do some research, buy a good up to date travel book. There is a difference between the cruise lines, however here is less difference between the ships of the same cruise line. See how old the ship is, or when the last refitting was, as they do take a beating and the newer ones have the new bells and whistles. Good luck

The variables are when are you travelling, the port that you wish to leave from, the ports that you wish to visit and the price you are willing to pay. For the first timer I would suggest the eastern Car., as the ports are interesting, there is good shopping, and you do not need to go on a ship's tour to see them. There is a difference between the cruise lines , but there is less difference between the ships of the same line. Look at when the ship was built or refitted, as the newer ones have more bells and whistles. Do your research, buy a good up to date travel book and go for it. Good luck

Archived