Dining Rules

long_shot45

Not clear to me, casual to me is shorts and sandals - not nice jeans and a polo, if I want to wear shorts and sandals, I will go to the lido...

The problem here is Carnival does not clearly define it, and they obviously do not enforce it. Everyone on this site can rant about respect and rules. Until Carnival makes it clear to all cruisers IN ALL DOCUMENTATION, not just on the web, or in the capers (which anyone has yet to produce - I have 4 or 5 scanned in on weshots that do not say "required"), but all documentation what is required, and that anyone not meeting those standards will be turned away, you guys are just pounding sand.

Instead of telling others what they should do, work on the source of the problem, write Carnival, note it in the comment cards, discuss it with each Maitre'D.

OK here is a link to the capers from a Conquest sailing out of Galveston last July. It clearly states "required". OK they're have now been produced on to the next argument.

http://www.cruisedailies.com/pics/3211.jpg

Bill

Bill. Thanks for posting. I think mrdood was suggesting that we were telling lies.

Carnival says slacks for casual nights. Does anyone think that if they ask in a department store to be shown slacks they would be taken to jeans?

I don't think WalMart sells Tuxes.:rolleyes:

I am sadden by this also, I love it when my DH wears his tux. Because of all the post about the dumbing down of formal nights I'm thinking of not having him bring it on our next cruise!

HUH??? If you feel that way about Carnival, why are you going on it??

Maybe Crystal would be better for you??

Tux would be fine there I am sure

IMHO if your DH likes to wear a tux, wear a tux, nice for pictures etc..

but I find your Wal Mart comment much more offensive than what others wear....not that there is anything wrong with WalMart

I just really get peeved at people who are booked on Carnival yet somehow feel they want to put it down

Cruises are optional...no one is grabbing you and forcing you to go

if you are more than 70 days away from your cruise, why not cancel and check out what Cystal and Cunard have available?? Really Celebrity may not be up to standards for ya, they do have private yachts for charter in the Med tho...might work

The problem is, they can't say that they allow shorts and T-shirts, because suddenly people will show up in hotpants and wife beaters. By Restricting them, people tend to wear *nice* shorts and inoffensive, new-looking T-Shirts.

I personally *do* have a problem with it, and my husband *does not*, but he kind of does because he says "Nice jeans", "Nice T-Shirt", "Nice Shorts."

There is a casual buffet if you don't want to dress up. You can even order room service and eat in your bathrobe, or in your underwear if the mood strikes. They offer options on purpose.

??? I don't think the dinner menu is available thru room service is it??

I realizie that it aint our Church I was making a statement that what I consider casual is what one woudl probably wear when going to Church. I am going to wear what I want any way. I do liek to dress up but my DH feels more comfortable in Jeans so other then formal nights that is probably what he will wear. Unless he changes his mind .

PS we all shouldnt get mad when some one critzizes ones ideas. were all here to get info whether its what we want to hear or not

I agree...but tho you may "not want to hear it" the rules are NO jeans in the dining room *with exception of first/boarding night in concession to people whose luggage may not have arrived or whatever....

It depends on the maitre 'd....who may or may not allow him to be seated....it also MAY make your table mates unhappy...especially those who get "sad" or find their cruise is "ruined" by what others wear

I personally do not see the appeal of wearing jeans or bringing jeans to a warm climate...I may wear jeans on "winter' days in Florida, ie, 60 degrees, 70 degrees...but not in the summer....most of the places we cruise to would be too warm for jeans IMHO....khakis or light weight fabrics would be much more comfortable

NOW >>> I would love to go to Alaska, and with my "thinned out" blood I expect I would be freezing...I have heard of jeans on Alaska cruises and I can really see why they would be good there

I guess on Carnival you could wear your bathrobe or sweats to the dining room since Carnival doesn't specifically prohibit them. At least that is how some here seem to interprit the dress standards.

??? I don't think the dinner menu is available thru room service is it??

No, but my point is there is *a* menu available through room service, just like there are options available at the buffet.

If you won't follow the dress code, you're not going to starve.

I do agree with those who say that the problem lies with Carnival...

just as they don't enforce the "no chair saving" or "adults hot tub" stuff...they don't enforce or make clear what the dress code is

I really did not see that much inappropriate attire on my cruise but I was not really looking for it. I do think that some people have had the misfortune to be seated near folks who clearly flount the rules....ie, shorts and tee shirts on formal nights or something....why didn't the Maitre'd stop them??

There is a "middle road" that is not too hard to take...ie, wear a suit or a sports coat and tie for guys on formal night and a dressy dress or pantsuit or a glitzy top with black slacks for women....not exactly the "ritz" but not out of line or distressing...

No shorts, no tee shirts....not that hard to do on the other nights IMHO...again pretty middle of the road..

I don't understand the appeal of jeans in hot weather....but I think it is the nasty/holey jeans that upset people...or jeans on formal nights.

Of course if rules aren't enforced it all becomes a farce. More people need to write/call Carnival and ask for more clarity...and speak to the maitre 'd if it really upsets you.

It is sad that we have to try to figure this stuff out so much....Cruising is in transition I do think...but the cruiselines need to step up to the plate and make some rules and enforce what those rules are, one way or another.

I do think NCL and conversely Celebrity have the right idea...they have a "vision" and a plan and they stick to it....Formal is optional on all NCL cruises....Formal or dressed up is supposedly more mandatory on Celebrity if you want to be seated in the dining room (*ie, tux not required, but jacket/tie needed)....

Carnival seems to want to make everyone happy and allows each ship/sailing/maitre'd and who knows what else to take over, it seems very random and inconsistent.

I don't much care which way they "decide" but whatever they decide they should enforce it fairly.

and while they are at it : make sure the kids get out of the adult hot tub and stop the chair hogs <grin>...and of course keep babies out of the pools...

IMHO Carnival needs a few American "enforcers" to wander around and keep things going smoothly, many of the staff are just too sweet and maybe too eager to not offend or something, or else they want tips I don't know...but they are sweet and they try to take the least confrontational route and let things roll LOL

No, but my point is there is *a* menu available through room service, just like there are options available at the buffet.

If you won't follow the dress code, you're not going to starve.

Well your point is pointless (and sort of misleading)....the menu thru room service is sandwiches and the like...NOT dinner

If you are speaking to me, I do follow the dress code and have no intention of starving. I just think that people should post accurate info or make valid points when they share information. By telling others to order room service you may mislead some folks who think that Carnival will deliver dinner meals and lobster to the cabin...they don't. Some cruiselines do, Carnival does not.

Even the statement "if you won't follow the dress code" doesn't make a whole lot of sense...not your fault but the fault of the cruiseline. The 'dress code" is varying from ship to ship, sailing to sailing, it goes from reccomended to required and then people who do follow it are angry when others get away with not following it.

OK here is a link to the capers from a Conquest sailing out of Galveston last July. It clearly states "required". OK they're have now been produced on to the next argument.

http://www.cruisedailies.com/pics/3211.jpg

Bill

Thanks Bill, I had never seen the words "required", the bigger question is - was it enforced? But the formal night was not what I was disputing, it was the "non formal" nights and the definition of what should be worn then.

Again, as I have stated. Formal used to mean powdered wigs, when did that change???? Did they all of a sudden announce it? No, my entire point is that the definitions of what is "formal" or my my important argument "smart casual" is in flux, it is changing. I am not here to change anyone's mind, I would never poke fun at you, no matter what you wear, and it would never affect my enjoyment. I will however wear what I choose until Carnival stops sending mix messages, in writing and through the Maitre'D. I always dress for the 50th percentile, by my choice - half the people will look shabbier, and half will look better.

Times are changing, I know some of you don't like it, but you can just go powder your wigs...:p

I agree...but tho you may "not want to hear it" the rules are NO jeans in the dining room *with exception of first/boarding night in concession to people whose luggage may not have arrived or whatever....

It depends on the maitre 'd....who may or may not allow him to be seated....it also MAY make your table mates unhappy...especially those who get "sad" or find their cruise is "ruined" by what others wear

Just so first time cruisers don't get the wrong message. There is NO RULE that jeans are not allowed in the dining room.

And regarding the people having their cruise ruined by what others wear.........well, I don't think it's our job to make fellow cruisers feel good

Jeans in the dining room, kids in the hot tub, chair hogging.....

None of those things bother us. Why? Because we don't pay attention to what others wear, we never go in a public hot tub, and you can always find a chair. Don't forget there are thousands of people on board. Not everyone feels the same as you.

My opinion if ya have a problem with those petty things ya don't need to be cruising...or vacation anywhere. Yes it does happen at land vacations also.

LOL>> round and round we go....Carnival *and other cruiselines, could make it easier by having some standards they enforce..

I think part of it is more that people who do buy clothes and dress up get angry when they see others who don't bother ....maybe the hubby or kids did not want to get dressed up in the first place and seeing some people at the next table seated in shorts angers them

Then we have the standard ..."since i don't do this I don't care"...well frankly I am not looking for seats by the pool so i don't care about that...I do care about hot tubs and I do care about babies in pools...tho from seeing the lack of enforcement in reviews posted here I am getting suspicious of all the pools and hot tubs on the ship, may stick to the spa/gym hot tub LOL

the real point is that the cruiseline should set some sort of standard to not fall below in order to be fair to everyone...I don't care that much what the standard is, just that they follow their own rules, whatever their own rules are. Then I can follow their rules...kwim??

As MrDood says, maybe they can have some sort of happy medium....??

I think part of it is more that people who do buy clothes and dress up get angry when they see others who don't bother ....maybe the hubby or kids did not want to get dressed up in the first place and seeing some people at the next table seated in shorts angers them

quote]

Hey I think you hit on a good point! I bet that has alot more to do with it then anyone would admit. Secretly they would like to do the same but their significant other won't allow it LOL!

So they take it out on the boards:D :D :D

I guess on Carnival you could wear your bathrobe or sweats to the dining room since Carnival doesn't specifically prohibit them. At least that is how some here seem to interprit the dress standards.

Well cool. Now I don't have take a suitcase. I'll just wear that lovely robe that is in my cabin. :eek:

Fashion has changed in the past 50 years. Back during the 1950s, a gentleman wore a hat, and a lady wore a hat. If a man wore a tux, he had to have a top or bowler hat. Those days are no longer. I see tuxes on cruise ships, but neither a top or bowler hat.

I see ladies today that have never worn a hat. No wonder haberdashers have disappeared.....

My 10 year old wears a hat with his tux. It's not a tophat. It's a black felt wide brimmed hat, probalbly not what you are talking about. Anyway he looks really handsome.

I, for one, am happy about the no hat thing. I'm a nurse and I would hate wearing a funky little hat all day at work. :eek:

All of this don't wear jeans in the dining room, you need to show class crap is just that, Crap! Y of y is this such a hot topic. I just don't get it. And then if I say times are changing and maybe it's all u baby boomers who are doing all this complaining, ya get mad. I mean come on. And then some of you just sound all uppity anyways. You act like your cruising on a 5 star cruise that cost you thousands upon thousands, which in reality you just paid the measely $500 or so dollars like the rest of us for a 7 night cruise to some wonderful Caribbean islands. Stop turning your nose up when you see jeans in the Dining Room. It truly isn't a big deal. Obviously since not even CARNIVAL is enforcing it, Sheesh! I'm sorry but this must be the baby boomer generation talking, still wanting things to be the same as it was back then. Newsflash, its not.:rolleyes:

Our interpretation of "formal" was for the Captain's Cocktail Party .... if you choose not to attend that, then the "formal" clothing is certainly not required ... we did the formal thing once, and that was nice but don't have to do it again. We go to dinner at our regular time, dressed appropriately for a nice dining room setting and all is well.

Fashion has changed in the past 50 years. Back during the 1950s, a gentleman wore a hat, and a lady wore a hat. If a man wore a tux, he had to have a top or bowler hat. Those days are no longer. I see tuxes on cruise ships, but neither a top or bowler hat.

Techinically true, however a gentleman always removes his hat indoors anyway. ;)

Sheesh! I'm sorry but this must be the baby boomer generation talking, still wanting things to be the same as it was back then. Newsflash, its not.:rolleyes:

ROTFLMAO, who do you think invented jeans as a fashion item. :rolleyes:

Before the boomers, only farmers and (real) cowboys wore jeans.

All of this don't wear jeans in the dining room, you need to show class crap is just that, Crap! Y of y is this such a hot topic. I just don't get it. And then if I say times are changing and maybe it's all u baby boomers who are doing all this complaining, ya get mad. I mean come on. And then some of you just sound all uppity anyways. You act like your cruising on a 5 star cruise that cost you thousands upon thousands, which in reality you just paid the measely $500 or so dollars like the rest of us for a 7 night cruise to some wonderful Caribbean islands. Stop turning your nose up when you see jeans in the Dining Room. It truly isn't a big deal. Obviously since not even CARNIVAL is enforcing it, Sheesh! I'm sorry but this must be the baby boomer generation talking, still wanting things to be the same as it was back then. Newsflash, its not.:rolleyes:

So Carnival cruises are $500? And they are all 7 night caribbean cruises??? ROFLMAO! BTW, I'm no baby boomer... I don't care who wears jeans in the dining room, MYSELF, I don't find it appropriate so I WON'T wear them... but that is ME... whatever anyone else does, big deal... Carnival isn't enforcing it, because there it is not written anywhere that no jeans are allowed... some people don't need it written to know what is and what is not appropriate... you are the one that seems to be getting so upset over everything :p So much so your posts don't make much sense... calm down, it's okay ;)

So Carnival cruises are $500? And they are all 7 night caribbean cruises??? ROFLMAO! BTW, I'm no baby boomer... I don't care who wears jeans in the dining room, MYSELF, I don't find it appropriate so I WON'T wear them... but that is ME... whatever anyone else does, big deal... Carnival isn't enforcing it, because there it is not written anywhere that no jeans are allowed... some people don't need it written to know what is and what is not appropriate... you are the one that seems to be getting so upset over everything :p So much so your posts don't make much sense... calm down, it's okay ;)

...I would wear slacks for you... ;)

Well I have noticed many people giving DH a double take in his tux but I am sure it is because he looks so hot! There was however a passenger on my last cruise who wore a lavender suit and matching top hat on formal night and I saw alot of jaw dropping over that one but I think it is interesting to see different versions of formal wear.

Archived