Dining Rules

long_shot45

...I would wear slacks for you... ;)

Awe dood, you make me blush :D LOL!!!!

But you can prove it by finally booking an S&S cruise ;) Waiting for pricing on 4... back to back on the Imagination :D Come on!!!!

All of this don't wear jeans in the dining room, you need to show class crap is just that, Crap! Y of y is this such a hot topic. I just don't get it. And then if I say times are changing and maybe it's all u baby boomers who are doing all this complaining, ya get mad. I mean come on. And then some of you just sound all uppity anyways. You act like your cruising on a 5 star cruise that cost you thousands upon thousands, which in reality you just paid the measely $500 or so dollars like the rest of us for a 7 night cruise to some wonderful Caribbean islands. Stop turning your nose up when you see jeans in the Dining Room. It truly isn't a big deal. Obviously since not even CARNIVAL is enforcing it, Sheesh! I'm sorry but this must be the baby boomer generation talking, still wanting things to be the same as it was back then. Newsflash, its not.:rolleyes:

Translation please?

I agree with GC on this one. I don't believe jeans are appropriate for the dining room. Therefore, neither my DH nor I will wear them except to catch our flight home. I know full well that the rest of you will do as you please and that unless Carnival says something clearly and in writing, it isn't going to change.

Dood, would you wear slacks for me too? :D

Fashion has changed in the past 50 years. Back during the 1950s, a gentleman wore a hat, and a lady wore a hat. If a man wore a tux, he had to have a top or bowler hat. Those days are no longer. I see tuxes on cruise ships, but neither a top or bowler hat.

I see ladies today that have never worn a hat. No wonder haberdashers have disappeared.....

Do doo-rags count as hats? There were a few of those on our last formal night. ;-)

Week long Carnival cruise $750 (ish)

Formal wear for my two kids $150

A bottle of wine with dinner $30

The entertainment value from the doo-rag and jeans table we were next to....priceless!

Awe dood, you make me blush :D LOL!!!!

But you can prove it by finally booking an S&S cruise ;) Waiting for pricing on 4... back to back on the Imagination :D Come on!!!!

I am going to be deciding on my next cruise by April 1st, I have not ruled out S&S III - don't you have till April 20th to book that???

If I don't, I am on IIII aka IV, aka 4, aka 5-1, aka 3+1, aka 2+2 etc:p

If we did the B2B, DW would be Platinum on the second leg :eek:

...YES! ...but I would probably cut out the butt cheeks, that would still fit into the "rules" right:confused:

ROFL!!! We wouldn't want to cut up your good jeans now would we lil' buddy? What an interesting concept! Will there be pictures? :D

Pete, I left my powdered wig in the dining room with all the other old geezers. ;)

I am going to be deciding on my next cruise by April 1st, I have not ruled out S&S III - don't you have till April 20th to book that???

If I don't, I am on IIII aka IV, aka 4, aka 5-1, aka 3+1, aka 2+2 etc:p

If we did the B2B, DW would be Platinum on the second leg :eek:

Dood! Come with us on III! I'm pretty sure I won't be doing IV (or whatever) and I'd hate to miss the opportunity to meet someone with your wit. Oh, and bring your jeans! :D

ROFL!!! We wouldn't want to cut up your good jeans now would we lil' buddy? What an interesting concept! Will there be pictures? :D

Pete, I left my powdered wig in the dining room with all the other old geezers. ;)

Hell no, I would never cut up my jeans, I would cut out the butt cheeks of the slacks I was wearing for Chris :p

For formal night, I think I will wear one of those costumes with the powdered wig... IT IS FORMAL WEAR!!!

Hell no, I would never cut up my jeans, I would cut out the butt cheeks of the slacks I was wearing for Chris :p

For formal night, I think I will wear one of those costumes with the powdered wig... IT IS FORMAL WEAR!!!

Actually, to be technically correct, the powdered wig has nothing to do with formal wear. It was worn on any occasion in those days to hide the stench from people not washing their hair. If that is indeed the case then please wear your wig.

Actually, to be technically correct, the powdered wig has nothing to do with formal wear. It was worn on any occasion in those days to hide the stench from people not washing their hair. If that is indeed the case then please wear your wig.

...but can I wear it, even if I wash my hair???

I agree...but tho you may "not want to hear it" the rules are NO jeans in the dining room *with exception of first/boarding night in concession to people whose luggage may not have arrived or whatever....

It depends on the maitre 'd....who may or may not allow him to be seated....it also MAY make your table mates unhappy...especially those who get "sad" or find their cruise is "ruined" by what others wear

I personally do not see the appeal of wearing jeans or bringing jeans to a warm climate...I may wear jeans on "winter' days in Florida, ie, 60 degrees, 70 degrees...but not in the summer....most of the places we cruise to would be too warm for jeans IMHO....khakis or light weight fabrics would be much more comfortable

NOW >>> I would love to go to Alaska, and with my "thinned out" blood I expect I would be freezing...I have heard of jeans on Alaska cruises and I can really see why they would be good there

Where did you read that? It doesn't say that on Carnival site.

from Carnival site:

faq.gifspacer.gif

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

From the free dictionary.com:

.62AB5-jean.gifjean - (usually plural) close-fitting pants of heavy denim for casual wear blue jean, denim

Levi's, levis - a popular brand of jeans

pants, trousers - (usually in the plural) a garment extending from the waist to the knee or ankle, covering each leg separately; "he had a sharp crease in his trousers"

I'll be packing mine!!!:p

Never did the tux9I belong to a org that I have to wear one many times during the year), and have stopped doing the suit(which I wear too often during the year). On vacation I now wear resort casual, I don't feel out of place on formal nights. I have never been offended by what someone wears, well except for those guys in speedos.

Holiday 1992

SOS 1993

Norway ?

ROS 2003

VOS 2004

Victory 2005

Mircale 2006

Spirit 2007

Legend 7-1-07

Valor 1-20-08

i wear a very nice long sleeve dress shirt, a nice pair of dockers and dress shoes. i am very comfortable and i think i look very nice and have never had dirty looks shot my way ( not that it would matter ) hey, its my vacation.

Sorry people, times change, those that think the way someone dresses reflects on civility or manners, is about as narrow minded as the tip of a needle.

Some of the brightest and most humble, most civil, caring people would prefer to wear jeans and a comfortable shirt, the rest of you should be ashamed of your attitude. We no longer wear powdered wigs and long coat tails, just think what those folks would say about your civility and manners if they could see you in your tux :rolleyes:

Guests are not in charge of enforcing or dictating what is worn. It is up to Carnival, and so far, they could care less. Learn to enjoy yourself no matter what you wear and no matter what anyone else wears and you find more peace with yourself.

Reminds me of the couple that lost their luggage on my Liberty cruise... people were making fun of them in the dining room every night, they were trying their best with what they had. The judgemental people were true jerks...

here, here well said!

Go to a men's store or department store and ask to see slacks. I assure you you will not be taken to the jeans department. Or vice aversa. Most likely it applies to a woman asking to see capris; doubt that they will directed to the jeans department.

Go to a men's store or department store and ask to see slacks. I assure you you will not be taken to the jeans department. Or vice aversa. Most likely it applies to a woman asking to see capris; doubt that they will directed to the jeans department.

Not that it really matters.....but fyi womens/juniors capris are not segregated by fabric in department stores.....

from free dictionary.com

63402-slacks.jpgslacks - (usually in the plural) pants for casual wear

pants, trousers - (usually in the plural) a garment extending from the waist to the knee or ankle, covering each leg separately; "he had a sharp crease in his trousers"

Kurbanfan. The former May Dept Stores, now Macy's always segregated "jeans" from slacks and regular capris. I'm really not sure about capris made of denim fabric. Last time I was in Macy's, it's the same, although Macy's is changing alot about the former May stores, such as all associates on the floor having to dress in black beginning in May.

Believe me I'm not upset, just saying that people will be wearing jeans in the Dining Room so y do these same old threads about jeans being inappropiate keep coming up? It's never going to change soooooo y keep talking about it. :rolleyes:

Kurbanfan. The former May Dept Stores, now Macy's always segregated "jeans" from slacks and regular capris. I'm really not sure about capris made of denim fabric. Last time I was in Macy's, it's the same, although Macy's is changing alot about the former May stores, such as all associates on the floor having to dress in black beginning in May.

Was just in Macy's and they are segregated, also at Gottschalks.

At Walkmart they are all hanging out together.

Not that it even matters to me, i would wear jean fabric capri's with a nice top and high heels in the dining room on non formal nights.

As long as you are within the Carnival dress code of no t-shirts or shorts and look like you are dressed for a nice dinner out then thats OK.

Formal night is the only night i really have an issue with the dress code being obeyed.

I thought you were talking about denim capris. Out here our former Robinsons May are now Macys and all their capris are together including denim as is the same at Nordstroms.

I see you mention regular capris.....to us denim, cotton, whatever are all regular capris....

I don't know I guess it's just all about style. Everyone has their own style and thats cool. As long as you don't look like a slob.

I agree with caribbean dreams....as long as you don't wear them on formal night....

Archived