Sights of Battle Of Waterloo

Miss Jolly

We will be spending a few days post cruise in Paris. My husband is very interested in Military History and is considering catching a train from Paris to Brussels. Could anyone please advise us how he could then best see the relevant sights of The Battle Of Waterloo - and indeed what there is actually to see re this battle?

Thank you as always for your help.

Jennie

Miss Jolly Jennie, I've not been to Waterloo, but passed your question along to a friend who's been there several times & who knows the region well. Here's her response:

Could be a long day if it is a one day trip.

The train Paris to Brussels takes about 1 hr and 20 mins each way.

Then you would have to take a local train from Brussels to Waterloo (1

train or 2 depending on time) 35- 44 mins.

I am not sure where the station is in town relative to the battlefield.

Could be a long or short walk - my cousin always drove.

First there is the Victory Lion, with all the steps- you climb all the

way to the top and can survey the battlefield at a 360 degree angle.

(bronzeplaques point out where the action was)

There is a small military museum, Wellington's headquarters, the

visitor's center, etc. You can also visit la La Haie Sante and other places of

combat. Lot of dioramas and wax figures in costume. I think there is a sound

and light show and I seem to remember a film at some point.

Some weaponry and historical artifacts. Not very big budget stuff - a

little cheesy but I'm a sucker for things like that.

If it is military history that is the attraction they might want to

check out Ypres - which is closer to Paris or the battlefield the Somme.

Verdun is something but too far for a day trip. There is not much physical

evidence left of the Waterloo site- much has been returned to farmland.

At the WWI sites the scars on the land (trenches etc) are still quite

visible.

Miss Jolly Jennie, I've not been to Waterloo, but passed your question along to a friend who's been there several times & who knows the region well. Here's her response:

Could be a long day if it is a one day trip.

The train Paris to Brussels takes about 1 hr and 20 mins each way.

Then you would have to take a local train from Brussels to Waterloo (1

train or 2 depending on time) 35- 44 mins.

I am not sure where the station is in town relative to the battlefield.

Could be a long or short walk - my cousin always drove.

First there is the Victory Lion, with all the steps- you climb all the

way to the top and can survey the battlefield at a 360 degree angle.

(bronzeplaques point out where the action was)

There is a small military museum, Wellington's headquarters, the

visitor's center, etc. You can also visit la La Haie Sante and other places of

combat. Lot of dioramas and wax figures in costume. I think there is a sound

and light show and I seem to remember a film at some point.

Some weaponry and historical artifacts. Not very big budget stuff - a

little cheesy but I'm a sucker for things like that.

If it is military history that is the attraction they might want to

check out Ypres - which is closer to Paris or the battlefield the Somme.

Verdun is something but too far for a day trip. There is not much physical

evidence left of the Waterloo site- much has been returned to farmland.

At the WWI sites the scars on the land (trenches etc) are still quite

visible.

Thank you for this information. I shall show my husband tonight and we'll discuss it.

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jennie,

I am not sure if you are still reading this but I also have a great interest in military history.

My daughter and I went to Waterloo in 1999. We had our own car so visiting the sites was easier than if we had taken a train. The battle site of Waterloo is a few miles from the actual town of Waterloo. The Wellington Museum is in the town. You could visit it and then take a cab to the battlefield or maybe a bus. The little movie, panorama and the Lion Mound are all within walking distance from each other. We also walked down to the farm of Hougoumont which was held by the British during the battle. At that time we couldn't go inside the court yard but could take pictures.

On our drive from Paris to Waterloo we visited the Somme battlefields. We just drove around and saw the various monuments to the dead of WWI. There is one park there that has trenches still visible . I am not sure how to do it without a car. There may be tours from Paris. It may be worthwhile to just rent a car for a day or two.

Julie

Hi Jennie,

I am not sure if you are still reading this but I also have a great interest in military history.

My daughter and I went to Waterloo in 1999. We had our own car so visiting the sites was easier than if we had taken a train. The battle site of Waterloo is a few miles from the actual town of Waterloo. The Wellington Museum is in the town. You could visit it and then take a cab to the battlefield or maybe a bus. The little movie, panorama and the Lion Mound are all within walking distance from each other. We also walked down to the farm of Hougoumont which was held by the British during the battle. At that time we couldn't go inside the court yard but could take pictures.

On our drive from Paris to Waterloo we visited the Somme battlefields. We just drove around and saw the various monuments to the dead of WWI. There is one park there that has trenches still visible . I am not sure how to do it without a car. There may be tours from Paris. It may be worthwhile to just rent a car for a day or two.

Julie

Thank you Julie. Yes I am still reading this. I have become a CC junkie. LOL! I shall pass this info on to my husband. Thank you again for your help. Jennie

• 3 months later...
Hi Jennie,

Julie

We are still looking in to this idea and are now considering hiring a car so would love any further details that you may be able to provide.

Thanks Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived