Grand Princess Anytime Dining vs Traditional

Joe & Kim

We did Anytime Dining on both of our Grand cruises. We liked it, but I do have a couple of hints for you. DH and I found that if we agreed to sit at a large table to expect dinner to be 2 1/2 hours long. The larger the table the slower the meal, because of the volume of food being served. We usually got to the dining room around 630 and never waited more than a few minutes. When we arrived to dine after 730 we waited about 15-20 min.

Other CC people we chatted with on the cruise had traditional dining and said the service was outstanding, that the waiter got to know them and by mid week they barely had to ask for anything...it was just done. That is not the case in AD. We had excellent service on 3 nights, average service 3 nights and downright horrible service 1 night. I read on the boards that AD diners can make ressies with certain servers. Anyone know if that is true?

We will probably opt for AD on our next cruise just because of the convenience. However, I believe that TD provides a better dining experience.

our kids are 12(Girl)and almost 11 in may (boy)

Great!! Our daughter is 12 (almost 13-June) and our son is 14. Maybe our girls can hook-up.. Where are you from? We're from NJ, about 2 mi from Ocean....This is the kids 1st cruise, my 3rd, husbands' 2nd!!!:)

We were on the Grand this past September. We had anytime dining and loved it. First off, since we were on a very port intensive cruise, it was great to come back to the room, clean up and go to dinner when we wanted to. We never had to wait more than a few minutes. There are 2 anytime dining rooms on the Grand - we always went to the DaVinci. We always sat with other people - either people we met on the cruise and made plans to dine with them or we just showed up and met people at random. Most everyone was really nice and it was fun meeting new people.

I would always opt for anytime dining in the future. The flexibility way outweighed any minor inconvience. We wanted to go on another Princess cruise back to Europe this year but teh one we picked out was already booked. So we wound up choosing HAL (for the ports) and are really disappointed that they do not have anytime dining.

Go with an open mind... I am sure that you will have a great time!

Lynn

Lots of people feed their kids early, at the buffet or the grill or the pizzeria or room service, then send them to the kids program while they enjoy a peaceful dinner. Of course, you can do this in either traditional or anytime, but it seems a shame to take up spaces for them in traditional if they aren't interested, when so many passengers get waitlisted. We are among the fans of anytime dining -- for us, the flexibility makes up for the lack of rapport with the waiters. I agree that you get more impersonal service in anytime because the waiters don;t have a chance to get to know you, but that's fine with us, and we aren't stuck with a bad table for waiter for the entire cruise.

One of the reasons we originally picked Princess was because of anytime dining, we have never had traditional dining on any of our cruises, so I can't comment on what it is like but I would hate to have to be at a table for a certain time and have to sit with other people. No I'm not anitsocial, our family just prefer to spend our meal times together usually the only time we spend with our kids on a cruise. We have done 4 cruises as a group of 4 and one as a twosome, we usually eat between 8 and 9 pm and have had to wait on occasion but we just sit and have a drink and people watch. If we find a great waiter we book that table for the next night if we can although again you are tied to a specific time. When we wanted a table for 2 we were often placed on a bench arrangement where we were so close to couples on either side we may as well have been on a large table so we always asked not to be seated on the benches. I find the anytime dining is a total "fit" for us and would be horrified if placed in traditional dining.

I think that anytime dining is probably a big draw with new cruisers to the line. I personally think it is a wonderful concept. We have not had to wait an unreasonable time - and usually it is on the first night when people are getting used to the routine.

We have cruised on CCL and American Hawaii Line (defunct) with traditional times. (Even the old Royal Princess with no PCD). I would not want to go back to this. Even some other lines sound like they are considering changing traditional dining.. Count me as another cruiser who loves anytime!!!! - one of the reasons we stay with Princess.

We're just off the Grand. We had anytime dining. Yes, we did dress appropriately every night - we made the effort to change clothes, that isn't the issue against traditional. (Though we would be just as happy NOT to change, but we'll go with the flow.) DH prefers to eat as a couple, so we usually choose tables for two.

We had NO wait last week, any night, including both formal nights. One night (second formal), we did eat with another CC couple (Hi Judy & Don!), and also had no wait.

This cruise, unlike our last, we didn't end up with one wait-staff combo that "hit" with us - all were fine, just not one that caused us to ask for their table again. (Though, the last night, if I had had her the first night, I may have done so. Unfortunately, I don't remember her name, or even which room we were in - it may have been DaVinci, and I know it was in the front of the room, to the left. Romanian female, with a male under-server - whatever they call them.)

Anyway, we never made a reservation, and never had a wait for two. We ate at different times - usually early, but once as late as 7 or so.

So, the point of this post is: I'd encourage anyone to try anytime dining. It makes it much easier if you like to eat earlier, but might have late ports or like to watch sail-away, etc.

Archived