Dunn's Falls with handicap

pedsnurse

If you want to be in the water actually climbing the falls it is just rocks, no handrails, no stairs. There are stairs along side the falls you can walk up and down and see the people climbing, but you wouldn't be in the falls.

If you want to be in the water actually climbing the falls it is just rocks, no handrails, no stairs. There are stairs along side the falls you can walk up and down and see the people climbing, but you wouldn't be in the falls.

pedsnurse

There are stairs next to the falls. However there is ALOT of walking along side the falls. I had taken a catamaran to the falls so I am not sure of the access from a tour from the road but if they enter near the bottom of the falls to get to the top it might be too much for you depending on how bad your knee is. I would check to see if you could enter from the roadside and look down on the falls. The best view I think was from the bottom though looking upward. I did see some people who were unable to climb the falls but were on the side. Unfortunately, I would not suggest that you attempt to climb any of the falls, I fell at least 3 times the rocks are slippery and you cannot tell where to put your feet sometimes.

It is beautiful and I have to say probably the only thing that I did enjoy in Jamaica. If you can find access to just seeing them I would go. Maybe you could get a cheaper rate if you dont climb?

However I suggest booking a tour through the boat if you find that this is something that you want to do. The taxi drivers and the people of Jamaica are VERY pushy and I was frightened when I was downtown without a tour. (this was when I went to Margaritaville and passed through a metal detector with police men to stop all locals from entering the mall that it was in.)

If you want to climb the falls, as others have stated, there are no stairs in the falls, you have to climb on the rocks. I would definately NOT recommend you do this with a bad knee. Its not worth the risk. There is a walkway with stairs that runs along the side. If you arrive via car/bus you have to walk down the walkway and stairs to the bottom and then walk up. You are not in the water but next to the falls during part of the way, and at other parts the walkway is several feet away from the falls. If you have trouble with stairs or walking up inclines with your knee, then this may not be a good option either.

Frankly the view from the stairs is fun if you are with people climbing the falls, but not worth it if you are just going to pay to get into to just walk the stairs. The view of the falls from the stairs is just ok. Its fun watching others climb but if you are looking for fantastic views of the falls, then walking up the stairs may be disappointing.

Have you considered river tubing instead? I did that in Ocho Rios and it was beautiful, easy, and a lot of fun. (Not to mention not being stuck in the Falls' DisneyWorld-sized mobs.)

And honestly folks, I walked through Ocho Rios and up Fern Gully Road by myself, and felt perfectly safe. (OK, I'm a man, but in my late 50s.) In a full day in Jamaica, I was asked once to buy sensi, once to buy sex. In both cases, a simple "No thank you" was all it took. Maybe I'm foolish, maybe just well-traveled, but I wonder how often unreasonable fear keeps people from worthwhile experiences.

I couldn't agree more... I'm a single mom who travels with now tween-age daughter. A simple "no thank you" gets you out of all kinds of situations. We've been offered hair braiding, items, drugs, (no sex - darn.. a nice young man.. er, never mind....:eek: ), etc and just a "Not today, thanks!" will do. Sure, folks are pushy; these countries depend on cruise ship and tourist dollars and you might be pushy, too, if you lived in the equivalent of a shack and saw the wealth that comes walking off of ships (2000 clean, well fed, well dressed folks who dropped more money on a week long cruise than many of them make in months).

Get out and enjoy Jamaica. Stay away from obvious potential bad situations. It's just good plain common sense.

Archived