I found Belize City to be ugly and depressing

conversationist

The area where the cruise ships docked was nice enough. It gave me a chance to do some shopping and walk around outside the cruise ship. Though once we walked outside the secure area it was very depressing. I saw alot of people hassling tourists and asking for money. I must of been approached 40 times by the poor people asking me to buy something.

There are few jobs for the residents of Belize and no welfare, so people are desperate. I can relate to their situation. But for a vacation destination, Belize City was the pits.

Later we went on a formal tour organized by Princess. We toured the run down City and drove through some deforested areas to a small zoo. The tour guide did a good job at showing how tough it is for the residents of Belize. She told us alot of triva, including the fact that Belize has no Ameircan fast food chains, not even a McDonalds. One of few places left in the world that can make that claim.

BELIZE (and plz note I said BELIZE not Belize City) is actually a very interesting destination. There are many wonderful excursions (to Mayan ruins, cave tubing, the Cays to name a few). But (in my opinion) in order to appreciate Belize, one has to get out of Belize City on an excursion.

It's interesting that people have different impressions of the same place. I understand where you're coming from about the poverty, but we enjoyed Belize very much. It's a beautiful place and the people are friendly (we went on an excursion with Yhoni from cave-tubing.com). I thought the scenery was spectacular and while Belize City is certainly poor I still enjoyed the shore day there. (The two teenagers with us preferred Belize to the Mexico stops.)

Conversationist,

I don't know how much you've traveld, but Belize City is no worse than some others in the Carribbean.

We found it to be fine. Yes, there is poverty. But, have to been to downtown DC lately? Just had to explain to a Girl Scout Troop why those men were sleeping on benches and on the grates. Yes, those newspapers were their blankets.

We walked through Belize City and did encounter people trying to sell us things. We politely said "no thank you" and they left us alone. We also had lunch at a local restaurant, not McDonalds, TG, and had fun watching the local dog stick his head through the door and watch us eat.

I guess my attitude about travel is different than most. I love to see another country for what it is. Yes, it might be "depressing", but it makes me more appreciative of what I have at home. I don't travel to see the same thing over and over again. I want to see this great world we live in, warts and all.

Hope you enjoy your further travels.

I agree with the previous poster, each country is what it is.

I haven't been to Belize yet, but I have been to 2 countries in Africa and in the shack areas of Buenos Aires Argentina. These trips are more memorable than any trip to a spa or beach (including Hawaii).

Everytime I go I realize how blessed I am! I gain a new understanding and I have come to realize that many times those who live in the conditions are happiers that many American's who drive nice cars and have nice homes.

I am ready to move to Africa but first I gotta get through medical school!

It's funny how people see areas of the World differently. We've been to Belize twice and I'm ready to move there. It's the only area of Central America where English is the official language. Their dollar is 2 of ours, domocratic government, dual citizenship, great trade arrangements. I'm ready to buy a bungalow on the beach and start a business for cruise ship passengers to come hang out for the day; beach and booze all inclusive. The areas of Belize City are poor, but the Cayes are nothing like that. Also, the northern areas where they grow oranges are nice, too.

I'm with you explorers!

That is one of the reasons I hate ship excursions, they eliminate so much of the "real" country.

When I have traveled to St Lucia, Antigua for instance...we hired a driver for ourselves & went wherever we wanted. We specifically asked to be taken to the "real" areas where the residents live to see their culture. The people have always been very nice (understand that being aggressive in selling their goods is just their way) and we purchased a few things (banana ketchup...really yummy!) that others on the ship wondered where we got. And it was less expensive when we got away from the port areas!

I think exploring these countries is awesome & as another poster says makes you really appreciate what we have here at home.

We have always used visits to these ports to teach our sons to look for the "value" that every culture offers....regardless of someone's financial situation. The vast majority of locals in these ports are honest, hard working people just trying to take care of their families. And they have earned the same respect as anyone in America with a 6 figure a year job.

I had a delightful conversation with Gilly ( a licensed tour operator inside the fence). The locals are working very hard to bring the Belize City area outside the port into a 21st century cruise destination. It will not happen over night. We discussed how the aggressive nature of "some" of the locals are hampering the development efforts. The local tour operators are doing their best to help those that are more aggressive than they should be to understand the damage they are doing.

Overall, while I would still recommend an organized tour (cruise or independent) if going "outside the fence"....I would not hesitate to take a tour and see "the value" that is there.

I too loved Belize, and also enjoyed Belize city,we found there local grocery store there and bought cheap cokes,lots cheaper than ship,cigars,and there cashew wine which there famous for,i think its an accquired taste.I know people like different things but my vote is yes for Belize.

I think it is a good idea to figure out what you want to do here and have a tour in mind...some tour, thru ship or private

Maybe this "Gibby" guy would be a good idea, they need some good private guides for the CC folks to try like they have in St Thomas and St Martin

After reading some horror stories I finally found what seems like a good private tour to Altun Ha thru Trevor at Smugglers Run. Maybe Gibby would be good I will try to meet him too at the port

I have read some recent bad reviews about the Carnival Altun Ha/River tour..maybe they have a new operator, but they wasted people's time at a dumpy "resort" shopping area....pretty sad

I am on vacation, not doing a UN tour or an OX Fam or Mother Theresa tour....while I respect other cultures we have to be realistic : the port of Belize city itself is hardly a tourist area...everything that makes Belize a top eco tourist area is OUTSIDE of Belize City

Wanting to be safe does not make me an Ugly American..and if it does..oh well LOL

There are some "bad" areas in Miami and in Ft Lauderdale...I would not want to walk around them even in day time....nor would I ever tell tourists to stroll there or "sightsee" there...there is nothing to sightsee

Shacks and crack houses are shacks and crack houses...here in Florida, in Chicago or in Belize

I think that Belize is a great place to have a plan/tour/guide/excursion in mind....enjoy the port area if you like, or if you are brave wander out to the flea market

but it is NOT a place to rent a car or moped or venture off on your own too far....

What we need are some more good private tours ....there are raves bout the cave tubing *which does NOT appeal to me....there are good reviews of smugglers run for horseback and I will post review of ruins...LHP has met this Gilly so he sounds good...maybe share his email addy with folks so they can book with him

A good tour can make Belize great for people ...but I still would not want to wander around there much LOL

We had a great time in Belize two years ago, I loved it, can't wait to get back there this year. Where is the flea market? As a snorkeler - I felt like I died and went to heaven - beautiful reefs and fish. I have never felt unsafe at any ports we have gone to, and we do wander from crowds to experience the cultures. I love people and they love to show you their lifestyles, if you take the time to let them.

P8236820.jpg

I wandered off from the pier on a trip 2 years ago. People asked if they can take my picture with my camera and I joked with them and strutted off. I am originally from New York City, so I am not easily fooled. I asked them if they wanted to buy some watches, and they laughed.

People do approach you but as anywhere else, if you look like you belong where ever you are at at the time, then it is highly unlikely that you will be a mark! If you look scared or disgusted you put a target sign on your back, whether you speak the language or not!!!!!

Photocruiser

We just got back and found Belize to be much better than Guatemala. Having traveled all over the world in the Navy, Belize is a paradise compared to some. There are places our back yards that are just as bad. I really enjoyed our visit, found the people to be friendly and return again. You can not go around with blinders on your eyes. Everything in world is not like the US. I remember when I lived in DC in 81 it was the murder capital of the US for a couple of years so it is hard to throw stones when our backyard is not clean. Be objective, have fun and enjoy because you can always come home.

Conversationist, you posted a similar post on Trip Advisor, and I'll rephrase here what I said there-

I'm sorry you had a bad time in Belize City. It isn't a great city. BUT- the country of Belize is fabulous. Friendly people, beautiful country, etc. You certainly won't get the best of any city by judging soley on what you see several blocks from the cruise ship docks. I wish you had a chance to go out to Caye Caulker and explore that amazing small island. Charm, sun, fishermen with their catch, schoolchildren in their uniforms, stop signs for the golf carts use as transportation. Fabulous! Or to go diving or snorkeling on the amazing reefs- better than other places I have been in the Caribbean. Or seen the howler monkeys, bats, iguanas and other wildlife in the jungle. Or the breathtaking Mayan Ruins. You name it.

You saw the smallest representation of the country of Belize. Of course you were hassled in the market area right outside the docks. The same would happen in Jamaica or any number of ports of call. Cities can be rough, and it helps to know what you are getting into before you go, rather than to complain after the fact.

Happy future travels.

OttoCal

The area where the cruise ships docked was nice enough. It gave me a chance to do some shopping and walk around outside the cruise ship. Though once we walked outside the secure area it was very depressing. I saw alot of people hassling tourists and asking for money. I must of been approached 40 times by the poor people asking me to buy something.

There are few jobs for the residents of Belize and no welfare, so people are desperate. I can relate to their situation. But for a vacation destination, Belize City was the pits.

Later we went on a formal tour organized by Princess. We toured the run down City and drove through some deforested areas to a small zoo. The tour guide did a good job at showing how tough it is for the residents of Belize. She told us alot of triva, including the fact that Belize has no Ameircan fast food chains, not even a McDonalds. One of few places left in the world that can make that claim.

Wow! What do you say to that! Well here's what I have to say. My family and I had a most wonderful day in Belize last year. We spent the day with the nicest people you could ever want to meet ( who by the way were raised in Belize). They ran their own tour company (Smugglers Run) and showed us what a beautiful country they lived in. On the drive to the Jungle I saw huge beautiful homes facing the water. I guess some people have jobs there. The jungle was awesome and we went back to our ship by boat down the Belize River, which was very beautiful. Sorry you had such a terrible time conversationist.

Wow! What do you say to that! Well here's what I have to say. My family and I had a most wonderful day in Belize last year. We spent the day with the nicest people you could ever want to meet ( who by the way were raised in Belize). They ran their own tour company (Smugglers Run) and showed us what a beautiful country they lived in. On the drive to the Jungle I saw huge beautiful homes facing the water. I guess some people have jobs there. The jungle was awesome and we went back to our ship by boat down the Belize River, which was very beautiful. Sorry you had such a terrible time conversationist.

Wow....what I say is that BOTH of you may have correct perceptions...

the OP stayed in the CITY...Belize City...which is by many accounts not that scenic or safe or interesting around the port itself...

YOU went on an excursion, a private excursion....I have booked with Trevor and will be going to Altun Ha and Smuggler's Run..and plan to enjoy the beauty of Belize...which is by most accounts NOT found around the port where the ship takes us...

The smart thing to do is to MAKE plans here....there are many many reports

and most people who make plans...go cavetubing, to ruins , snorkel trips etc have a great time...people who wander around the city don't

Some people are more "brave" than others...I don't think it is unrealistic to say that walking around the city would be a hassle. I think this is one port where it is just smart to plan ahead and book some sort of excursion out to the countryside/nature/ruins or whatever.

Love that picture & what a great attitude!!

That picture looks a lot better than some neighborhoods I have visited on other islands...

ROFLOL>>>> well honestly I agree...it looks better than some neighborhoods in St Pete...my least fav Florida city...

but honestly I don't go on a cruise to look at neighborhoods like this, older houses, metal fences and a stop sign...

http://home.earthlink.net/~mlangsam/images/P8236820.jpg

we have not so nice areas of Ft Lauderdale that look more tropical than that picture IMHO

For those who think that seeing the "real" city is cool, then I would say if you come to Ft Lauderdale do NOT go to the beaches, the everglades, the Hard Rock, Sawgrass Mills,water taxi, Las Olas Blvd....just go to some of our "dicier" neighborhoods

you could meet "real" locals, maybe find a bar or a convenience store where you can get a beer in a paper bag and enjoy a drink with our locals...who would also want to sell you drugs and panhandle etc...

we have some choice places on Broward Blvd and Sunrise Blvd nearer to the port...if you want to see older houses and burglar bars on windows,

metal fences....panhandlers...street people...for real local color someone could rob you or carjack your rental car...but you would have local color

and it actually looks more tropical than that "neighborhood" picture...we have palm trees all over down here

IMHO: plan a tour, an excursion....even the local people in Belize admit that Belize City itself is NOT a great place to walk around and there are not many interest points in walking distance of the port itself

JXOPF- you will need to take a ferry from the dock/pier area out to Caye Caulker.

Once you arrive from the ship, you will be very close to the ferry stations, go in & check the schedules, buy your tickets and get on the boat. Be sure to check the return times, and try to plan to come back 1 earlier than you think in case it ends up being full or something weird.

You will have a great day! Be sure to have some Belekin Beers and some lobster nachos! Yum.

OttoCal

Wow, what a negative post.

I was in Belize in September, and I do admit that in Belize City I felt a little uncomfortable and nervous, but once I got out of the city we had such a great day. We walked through the rainforest and went cave-tubing, and zip-lining. Our guide was so nice and really provided a lot of information about the country (and BTW, they do have one American restaurant now--a Subway sandwich shop of all things). I found the people of Belize to be very friendly and interesting, and countryside was beautiful. Next time we go back (and I am sure I will), I really want to go snorkeling b/c I hear the coral reefs and fish are incredible.

ROFLOL>>>> well honestly I agree...it looks better than some neighborhoods in St Pete...my least fav Florida city...

but honestly I don't go on a cruise to look at neighborhoods like this, older houses, metal fences and a stop sign...

http://home.earthlink.net/~mlangsam/images/P8236820.jpg

we have not so nice areas of Ft Lauderdale that look more tropical than that picture IMHO

For those who think that seeing the "real" city is cool, then I would say if you come to Ft Lauderdale do NOT go to the beaches, the everglades, the Hard Rock, Sawgrass Mills,water taxi, Las Olas Blvd....just go to some of our "dicier" neighborhoods

you could meet "real" locals, maybe find a bar or a convenience store where you can get a beer in a paper bag and enjoy a drink with our locals...who would also want to sell you drugs and panhandle etc...

we have some choice places on Broward Blvd and Sunrise Blvd nearer to the port...if you want to see older houses and burglar bars on windows,

metal fences....panhandlers...street people...for real local color someone could rob you or carjack your rental car...but you would have local color

and it actually looks more tropical than that "neighborhood" picture...we have palm trees all over down here

IMHO: plan a tour, an excursion....even the local people in Belize admit that Belize City itself is NOT a great place to walk around and there are not many interest points in walking distance of the port itself

I cannot say that I have visited "all" FL cities to say St Pete is my least fav. I don't live in St Pete (about 45 min north), but go there for art, ball games, etc. There are places there where the homes are in the millions!!

I guess my point is when we are cruising we are visiting foreign places, not here in the USA. They shouldn't be condemned because they have no McDonald's & no welfare program (promise not to get into politics!). Obviously there are good & bad throughout the world in every city, but if we live in fear everywhere we go, we may miss out on things. Of course, common sense is always needed, whether in Belize or Ft Lauderdale.

I have met many locals on the islands that are just working hard for their families to make a better life. They aren't afraid of hard work. Of course I am not referring to the unemployed beggars in the streets. There is something to be learned from that. It's sometimes nice to see things first hand and not feel sheltered from it, by avoiding it. JMHO!!

This post is exactly why I don't cruise the Caribbean anymore. I've been to Jamaica on a land vacation and was terrified the whole week we were there. We were even approached by policemen, the bartender at the hotel, the band playing at the hotel and numerous others that followed us and even went into stores trying to get my daughter to leave with them, so they could come home with us.

Then I went on a Caribbean cruise from San Juan to St. Martin and St. Thomas. The islands have some beatiful scenery, but the poverty there is unpalatable to me. I don't want to go on vacation somewhere that the people make less in a year than what I paid for my "Vacation".

And Mexico is right up there with those Caribbean Islands. The poverty and corruption there isn't my idea of a nice vacation spot either.

And before I get flamed, this is only my opinion. When I spend my hard earned dollars and vacation time, I want to enjoy seeing new destinations and seeing how other people live, but not abject poverty. I will select different destinations in the future.

If things continue as they are, the United States will soon be a 3rd World Country and we won't have to travel anywhere to see this level of poverty!

Archived