Roll Call : Windsurf June 10th Nice - Rome

sailing gator

Hi cruise mates, who's on board? This will be my first Windstar cruise and I'm so excited. We will also be on for a second week Rome to Venice. This is a surprise birthday present for my mom. She has no idea where I'm taking her or what we are doing! She only knows the travel dates and I've told her what to pack! I will tell her everything once we meet at the airport. So does anyone have any thoughts on exploring the ports...which to do on your own and which ship excursions are good? Would love to hear from past cruisers and from fellow cruisemates on this sailing!

• 3 weeks later...

We're thinking about it, but haven't gotten our vacation dates approved yet. This is a Foremast Club sailing, so there are big savings ($800 per person) for prior Windstar sailors. We were on the "Wind Smurf" (so named because it looked so small next to the huge ships) for 2 weeks in November, 2004.

Cross your fingers and wish us luck! As of now, I'd give this cruise a 10% chance, but that's better than zero. Joe

• 3 weeks later...

I have done this cruise twice... third time next year as well (contract photographer.. YAY! me.)

It is nothing short of phenominal.

St Tropez, I would suggest walking the town and alleyways as opposed to hitting the party circuit beach. Go up to the old fort and marvel at the clash of pop art sculpture mingled with a historic place (if the exhibit is still going)

In Porta Vecchio, GET OFF THE SHIP!! Some people say the port is small with only a two excurisions one through the desert, one to Sartene... both times I have been to Sartene... GO!!!!

If you have not seen Pompeii before... do so. Best advice you will receive of the whole trip. Often they have two excursions.. one in AM (from another port), one in PM. Take the PM one because contrary to popular belief, it is cooler in the PM. Plus you come back through the town at dusk with all the lights glowing.

Capri... personally you can look at pictures of the Blue Grotto and see everything you need to see... I would recommend getting off the ship and immediately head up to Anacapri... do the chair lift. Make your way down to Capri... visit Gardens of Augusta... then take the trek to the Natural Arch... it is a bit of a walk but worth it. Stop on the way back to have a drink at the trail cafe.. you will know it when you see it.

Gosh, I can't type everything to share with you... someone else can help fill in.

Archived