Corobici River Rafting or Eco-Jungle River tour?

ell52

Has anyone done either of these out of Puntarenas?

I know there was a thread about this on the old boards, but darned if I can find it now!

Any feedback, pros and cons appreciated. Also did you book privately or through cruiseline?

Ell

• 1 month later...

We did the Corobici River tour, but it was back in 99. Assuming it's the same, it was the best excursion we had ever been one. I was hesitant at first because the bus ride to the river is almost an hour but it went quickly and the buses were comfortable. A guide rode with us on the bus and told us about the country, economically, politically and ecologically. We did the river first and then had lunch. The later group had lunch first and the river second. I have NEVER seen as much wild life except maybe at a national zoo as we saw on the cruise. It is mostly a slow float, one small section of mild rapids. You have to paddle a little bit, but the guide in the back of each raft does most of the work. We saw alligators, a boa constrictor, 2 kinds of monkeys, iguanas, beautiful birds.

I hope someone who's been on this more recently responds to you. But if nothing has changed since we went, I would highly recommend this trip.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Corobici River rafting tour about 12 days ago. It was the classiest excursion I've taken in five cruises and just as Murphy described. I recommend it highly. It culminates with a top notch buffet at El Pacifico Hacienda. If you get Ingrid as your guide, you will not regret it. We booked through Carnival and our guide said it only cost us about $15 more than contracting it by ourselves. Doing so was well worth the cruise line profit cut.

We just received CD photographs by mail of our excursion from the tour operator, Rios Tropicales. These pictures were perhaps the best twenty bucks we've spent in years and confirm our assessment that the rafting tour was a first class operation. We have no regrets whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...
I am also interested in the Corobici River Rafting or Eco-Jungle River tour. Is there much walking? I walk okay just can't for long hikes.:( :) I wonder if Princess has it on their tours.:confused: :cool:

Delores

Hi Delores,

We ended up taking the Eco-Jungle River cruise through Princess. It was excellent! The tour guide was very, very good. He provided almost non-stop narration on the bus, not only about the wildlife, but also about Costa Rica in general - including the economy, political system, etc. On the river, we saw lots of birds and many crocodiles.

There is a short walk from the botanical gardens (where the buses stop) to the river where you get on the mowamba boat. It is flat and goes through a mangrove swamp, but you walk on a boardwalk so you won't get muddy. There are also little benches along the way for people who want or need to stop. (I only saw one elderly lady who needed to.) I'd guess the total distance is perhaps 1/4 mile, if that. From what I heard, the Rafting tour is a bit more strenuous as you have to help paddle the boat.

Ell

• 3 weeks later...
The HAL excusion book has this listed as $99. Is this about what you paid in Carnival? ( Hate to be crass but like to budget my extras before I go) Thanks for the input.
We were on Princess and paid $79pp -- including a light snack of fruits and juices.

ell

AH-HA!!! I just read the fine print. The HAL tour includes a delicious lunch on the picturesque river banks where you have time to explore amazing exotic vegetation!!

I'm just going to go with the flow in this port and see what local tour guides have to offer. Thanks for the info.

Archived