Car Rental at MCO?

scooter90

Okay, I admit it....I rarely rent cars and normally use a limo service, but this time it may be better for us to rent a car at the airport and drive ourselves to our hotel. Also, the day we return to Port Canaveral, our flight is not until 3:30 so I'm thinking it might be better to pick up a rental car in PC and have a leisurely drive back to MCO, stopping for lunch, etc.

So....can anyone tell me the specifics of how to go about renting cars at the airport etc.?

My navagation ability is the worst....how difficult it is to find the way from the airport to the port? DH doesn't drive anymore due to medical issues so this is left to me. Thanks

You can search online for the best prices. Budget, Thrifty, Hertz (and one other whose name escapes me) have offices at airport and Port Canaveral where you can drop off the vehicle. They have shuttles to ship and a shuttle when you return to pick up the next car.

They will also give you maps for directions. I understand the trip to the Port is clearly marked and a straight shot.:D

Avis is another.

If you plan on taking your time before go to the airport there are a few things you need to know. The road "Beachline" is a straight shot and a toll road. There are a few exits between the two, but nothing really at any exits and most have nothing at all. All you will see are swamps and pine trees and if you are luckey in the time of year you go you can see a brush fire or two. I would take my time in the port area and not in Orlando because you can get very lost near MCO.

Avis is another.

If you plan on taking your time before go to the airport there are a few things you need to know. The road "Beachline" is a straight shot and a toll road.

I think the road is called the Beeline - it is State Route 528.

Mary Lou

Mary Lou

It was called the Beeline until about 6 months ago it changed to the Beachline. I heard nothing about it changing in the area, then one day while driving to school it had a new name. It is SR 528, but will be called both the Beeline and Beachline by locals, but signs will say Beachline.

Each time we have traveled through MCO, we have found the security lines long and daunting. Admittedly they move pretty fast, but if we had a 3:00ish boarding, we would opt for RCCL transfer and hang out in the lobby and the tons of shops, and then get an early start going through security...

I would strongly recommend Budget, the correct office in P'Can is CC5 on Astronaut Blvd. To minimize "adventures with Mom":eek: you can rent GPS guidance systems for the car now! I just got a TomTom One that my lovely bride bought me from QVC, and can't wait to play with it. I think I'm going to go for the English female voice directions. A couple from Canada that sailed with us on Mariner had a GPS, his wife called it his English girlfriend because of the turn by turn directions. Have fun, I've used the Budget office twice in P'Can and can't say enough good about them.

Mary Lou

It was called the Beeline until about 6 months ago it changed to the Beachline. I heard nothing about it changing in the area, then one day while driving to school it had a new name. It is SR 528, but will be called both the Beeline and Beachline by locals, but signs will say Beachline.

It's still referred to by both names on maps, I got corrected before my Mariner cruise in April '06 about the new name, but found that signs on the highway still indicate both names.

I would strongly recommend Budget, the correct office in P'Can is CC5 on Astronaut Blvd. To minimize "adventures with Mom":eek: you can rent GPS guidance systems for the car now! I just got a TomTom One that my lovely bride bought me from QVC, and can't wait to play with it. I think I'm going to go for the English female voice directions. A couple from Canada that sailed with us on Mariner had a GPS, his wife called it his English girlfriend because of the turn by turn directions. Have fun, I've used the Budget office twice in P'Can and can't say enough good about them.

My DH got me the TomTom One as well ths year. He told me I am the only person he knows that can get lost in her own hometown:rolleyes:

When my sister's and I cruise out of Port Canaveral this September, we will be renting a car and leaving it at a hotel with a parking program (it actually works out better $$ wise) so that we don't have to deal with renting when we get back. BTW - I will be bringing the TomTom!

We have rented a car at MCO many times. Many car rental agencies are locted on airport property and easy to find. Getting to the port is relatively easy. There are hotels is Port Canaveral that offer a stay and park package. You stay overnight pre-cruise and leave you car in their lot wile you cruise. They will shuttle you over to the pier. However, we have found that using a car rental agency that has an office in Port Canaveral is easy. We used Avis the last time. We rented at the airport, drove to Port Canaveral, was able to use the car for dinner and sundries pickup. The next morning, drove to Avis office and they shuttled us to the pier. When we got off the ship, went to the picup area and met the Avis shuttle, went back to the office and we were on our way! No hassle and it took no time. I'm sure other agencies have offices in Port Canaveral. Good luch is whatevere you choose.

Archived