Family cruise to Alaska in '08

Brownie14

I am planning to take my 3 kids (13G, 11B, 11B) to Alaska in June '08 for my 50th birthday. What cruise line would be the best for all of us? My Mom (79) may also be traveling with us. I would like to do some land touring as well, but from reading the boards, it seems it might be better to plan that separately and not through the cruise line. All thoughts and advice are welcome. It will be our first cruise!

You need to look at one way cruises. And do your homework. :) Alaska is about what is outside the ship- so consider several factors in your selection, and involve the kids. :) Ports, time in ports, activities in ports, ship naturalist, glacier, route, price.

Budget fully for excursions, you get only half a trip without them.

For one way trips, I greatly prefer Seward, so my suggest would be a HAL cruise with College fjords and Glacier Bay/Hubbard. Next would be Princess for their Glacier Bay and College fjords. Having that extra glacier sailing day is a big plus, several lines don't include it however.

Definately consider independent for interior Alaska. Grossly superior for allowing you to focus on your priorities, and all the great "small stuff" along the way. It's a big negative to be on a fixed point to point touring in Alaska. Especially with kids, cruisetours, have extremely few. The fixed schedule is less than ideal and the most costly option. Just consider looking at several touring options and pick what is right for your group.

Archived