Costa Maya Countryside Drive & Beach With Lunch Excursion?

dig21

I was just wondering if anyone has done the Costa Maya Countryside Drive & Beach With Lunch excursion with Princess? It sounds nice but $89 a person seems a bit high.

Did Costa Maya with Carnival over Valentines week. We did the Chucchoben Mayan Ruins. Not much in the countryside once you leave the port area. I would do a little more research befor I spent $180. The ruins were very nice. Our tour guide Luis made out tour worth while, if you like things like that. There is a little beach area at the port. I'm not sure if they charge to sit there or not, but, it seemed pretty nice. We saw about 5 barracuda, from our ship, which is close by. Good luck, I hope this helps a little.

Here is a trip that I think is about the same as you are asking about. It is by a tour company called PortCompass http://www.portcompass.com/regionproducts.cfm?region=Carrib

They do excursions in Europe, So. America, etc.

Is this what similar to the Princess tour?

Island 4x4 Jeep Safari

Order code: PPR-CZJEE

Approx. 4.5 hours

US$ 89

This is a group tour. Not eligible for Grow-A-Group discounts. For this tour, transportation to the departure point (i.e. downtown at Carlos & Charlies) is not included. A taxi ride is approx $8 each way, and is less than 5 mins away.

The guided 4 x 4 tour begins at famed Carlos & Charlies restaurant where you board your four-wheel drive vehicle and get ready for a real Cozumel adventure! Your guide will give you a safety briefing and away you go to experience the beauty of the Island.

There are numerous "photo ops" on this tour and may vary according to the specific day that you are in port. You will be taken to “El Cedral” Cozumel’s very first settlement, revealing the fascinating history of Mayan culture. You will visit the little village of about 20 families and 150 years old church build next to a mystic ruin.

Then leave the past behind you as the adventure will continue on to our special private beach paradise where a Mexican buffet-lunch will be waiting for you. There you can take a walk along the beach,swim in the turquoise Caribbean Sea or take a siesta on the beach or snorkel over one of Cozumel’s most amazing reefs.

After exploring the clear Caribbean water with its tropical fish and colorful coral formations, jump in your 4 X 4 vehicle to travel back in time. Finish the trip downtown San Miguel where you can explore the shops and atmosphere of this lively town. Remember to take your drivers license (drivers must be 21).

Did Costa Maya with Carnival over Valentines week. We did the Chucchoben Mayan Ruins. Not much in the countryside once you leave the port area. I would do a little more research befor I spent $180. The ruins were very nice. Our tour guide Luis made out tour worth while, if you like things like that. There is a little beach area at the port. I'm not sure if they charge to sit there or not, but, it seemed pretty nice. We saw about 5 barracuda, from our ship, which is close by. Good luck, I hope this helps a little.

If you do decide on Chacchoben, I'd like to recommend - as many other visitors have - David & Ivan's tour (http://www.chacchobenruins.com/). Not only was it considerably less costly than the ship's excursion, we got there before all the cruise tours, were in a smaller group, and it seemed like we stayed longer. The quality of the tour was great: though I'd already visited virtually all the major Mayan sites (most of which are considerably more impressive), I found the tour to be great.

This tour sounds a lot like the Unimog Beach Break we did out of Costa Maya a few years ago. Maybe a different vehicle is used. There really isn't much to see in the countryside unless you're into mangrove swamps. Most of the land is very flat and featureless. You might get lucky and spot some howler monkeys. The beach, though, was nice and the lunch was very good, just watch out for that hot salsa. When people down there say something is very spicy, they mean it!

We were on Grand 2 years ago and did the Costa Maya Beach Break. DH and friend were able to jet ski right at the beach (additional charge) - perfect for them, while "the girls" sat on lounge chairs or under umbrellas with books and drinks. We found the beach to be very unspoiled, still with beach grass growing in the water, and starfish as big as dinner plates. As Spongerob says, there wasn't much to see on the drive there. Princess website has that excursion for $44, (includes open bar :) ). I'd recommend that over the one you mentioned (for 1/2 the price).

We were on Grand 2 years ago and did the Costa Maya Beach Break. DH and friend were able to jet ski right at the beach (additional charge) - perfect for them, while "the girls" sat on lounge chairs or under umbrellas with books and drinks. We found the beach to be very unspoiled, still with beach grass growing in the water, and starfish as big as dinner plates. As Spongerob says, there wasn't much to see on the drive there. Princess website has that excursion for $44, (includes open bar :) ). I'd recommend that over the one you mentioned (for 1/2 the price).

Thank You for the info. My main objective is to find a beautiful, not overly crowded yet safe beach (We loved Rum Point in Grand Cayman) so maybe the Beach Break would be a good less expensive option for us. Was it very crowded?

Thank You for the info. My main objective is to find a beautiful, not overly crowded yet safe beach (We loved Rum Point in Grand Cayman) so maybe the Beach Break would be a good less expensive option for us. Was it very crowded?

Just take a short $3 cab ride into the town of Majahal, there is a great beach right there and you can still see the ship from there. :)

Archived