Mobile Terminal Question

blwms

Coming from Montgomery on I-65..which is best way to port..taking the I-165 exit or staying on I-65 till it joins I-10 and then head back into Mobile. I have seen both directions given. Just wondering your experience.

Coming from Montgomery on I-65..which is best way to port..taking the I-165 exit or staying on I-65 till it joins I-10 and then head back into Mobile. I have seen both directions given. Just wondering your experience.

Don't know if this is the best, but when we come into Mobile on I-65 from Montgomery, we take the Government Street exit and you will see signs directing you to the terminal to the right off of Government Street. We have done some sightseeing and have come back into Mobile on both I-65 and I-10 and the terminal is easy to get to from both interstates - well marked. We like to go downtown and eat; a couple of really good restaurants there plus lots of things to do. Mobile has some really nice museums and there is the old fort downtown, too.

I live down here so I'll give you my 2 cents. Personally, I would stay on I-65 until you get to I-10, then go east and exit from there...it's very straighforward. Taking I-165 puts you onto Water Street and then you have traffic lights, etc. to contend with. But either way will get you directly where you want to go. The only difference is by taking I-10 you avoid some surface street driving.

I would NOT recommend exiting onto Government Street from I-65 as dixe lee suggested (sorry dixe lee) unless you want to tour the entire east side of Mobile on your way to the terminal.

Bon voyage!

Thanks so much. I always trust the locals. I have been to the River View Plaza and taken the I-165 but it does appear I would have to make a u turn to get back to the terminal so think I'll take your advice and the advice of the terminal web site and go to I-10 and back to Canal Street exit. Thanks again.

You can take I-165 if you wish. When you reach Water Street from I-165, there are signs directing you to the Cruise Terminal, but they take you around the downtown loop. Its easier to get off from I-10 which dumps you right at the terminal - its only 6 miles out of the way and you avoid driving through downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey anyone know how long it will take to get to the terminal from Saraland? We are staying there the night before. It sounds like I should take I-65 to I-10 East to exit 26a. Anyone know roughly how long that would take? Thanks!

Only 6 days until we start driving!!!

Hey anyone know how long it will take to get to the terminal from Saraland? We are staying there the night before. It sounds like I should take I-65 to I-10 East to exit 26a. Anyone know roughly how long that would take? Thanks!

Only 6 days until we start driving!!!

About twenty minutes according to the hotel desk clerk in Saraland. (We are staying there too.)

After looking at the directions taking I-165, I think I might try that. I am pretty good with directions and think we can handle it. Plus we will have plenty of time if we do get lost. I plan on leaving Saraland around 10:30am. Thanks everyone!!!

Its pretty easy to follow from I-165- you shouldn't have any problem. Just follow the signs when you exit off I-165 - take a right at the ramp exit and just follow the signs - I drove the path today and all signs are intact and easy to follow :)

Its pretty easy to follow from I-165- you shouldn't have any problem. Just follow the signs when you exit off I-165 - take a right at the ramp exit and just follow the signs - I drove the path today and all signs are intact and easy to follow :)

Why do they make you go around the loop? That's insane and about 3 mile out of the way. When I-165 ends, go straight on Water St. about 5 blocks. When you go through the intersection at Govt. St. (the convention center will be on your left, Riverview Plaza Hotel on your right) stay to the far right and take the little street beside the interstate on-ramp. Go under the interstate to the left and the terminal is right there.

Why do they make you go around the loop? That's insane and about 3 mile out of the way. When I-165 ends, go straight on Water St. about 5 blocks. When you go through the intersection at Govt. St. (the convention center will be on your left, Riverview Plaza Hotel on your right) stay to the far right and take the little street beside the interstate on-ramp. Go under the interstate to the left and the terminal is right there.

Wondering the same thing. Can't understand the Hank Aaron Loop route ...guess there must be some reason.

Yea - the road that the cruise terminal is on is a one way street - going the other way. While you can go strait and turn down the street on the other side of the interstate, you have to just about go past the terminal, it's confusing to someone not from here, and it's not a road that can really handle the heavy traffic flow, so they routed everyone around the downtown loop . . .

Archived