Warning To Newbies About Shopping At "guaranteed" Stores!!

PICKLEBALL WIDOW

I hope all newbies out there will check out the thread I have posted on the Celebrity board. One of the things you will find on your cruise is that you will get tons of propaganda about shopping and "RECOMMENDED", "MUST SEE", or "GUARANTEED" stores in port. The ship has "EXPERTS" who are paid by large stores like Diamonds International and Colombian Emeralds to take their propaganda to the passengers to convince them that THEIR store is the best place to buy. They PROMISE warranties, price guarantees, etc., and some of us have had the experience that they are giving empty, prepared speeches which mean absolutely nothing. They do shopping talks during the cruise that make you want to call your credit card company and have your credit amount raised.

If you read the thread you will find that we purchased my husband a very expensive watch at one of Celebrity's "MUST SEE" "Guaranteed" stores in Aruba. It broke within 12 hours and no one is doing anything about it. I complained to Celebrity because we reported this on board and Eric, the shopping "Expert" on the Galaxy promised us the problem would be resolved. We had to go through Onboard Media (the business the cruise line is involved with) and they have the information, but haven't responded. Celebrity Cruises won't even return my calls.

PLEASE be very aware of what you are buying on the cruise in ports and read the thread on the Celebrity board. Lots of people are sharing their information, some good, most bad. After 31 cruises I've learned the hard way NOT to believe the propaganda the shopping experts are paid to spew.

In defense of buying while on a cruise, I purchased a ring in a Carnival onboard ship jewelry store and they have bent over backwards to make the re-sizing right. It wasn't anything huge, but when I sent it in to be sized it came back too small. They have been wonderful about paying all postal charges, resizing, and letting me know I'm important.

Please read the thread called "Discover Shopping Warning".

For the life of me, I don't understand why people will travel to a foreign country, then spend their time shopping. Why not get out of the port town and see some of the country you are visiting? You can shop at home any time. Saving a few bucks on questionable merchandise is just not my idea of a vacation. A side trip with time allowing, of course, but not a planned excursion.

Just my personal opinion, by the way, I do agree with the OP, the recommended shopping has always seemed like a scam to me. Of course, everything sold on a cruise ship always seems like a scam to me, from drink of the day, photos, art (especially art) spa treatments, overpriced wine, etc... Everyone has to choose what is of value to them.

As far as shopping in port, if that is what you enjoy - go for it.

BUT - DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Yes, there are some great deals in the ports, but you must know what you are looking for. If you are wanting to purchase jewelry for example, learn to identify the difference in grades of gold and how to read a diamond certificate. Shop at home before you go and know what the true retail value of the piece you are looking for is. Then when you find your item, barter on the price.

I have purchased watches and cameras in ports and have had no problems. I have a friend who is a Goldsmith so my jewelry needs are met here at home. I can say though that because of the knowledge I have gained from him, I have seen some really shady deals on jewelry while in port. (and on ship)

Happy Shopping and Good Luck !

Fins Up!

My advice...don't waste your time going to those cruise shopping talks by the so called "shopping experts" These are nothing more than paid commercials...paid for by the recommended stores. The shopping expert's job is to get you into certain stores and get to fired up to spend money on the so called great values offered.

Skip the commercial from the cruise ship and instead do your homework at home first. Otherwise you can really get taken.

Frankly I prefer local crafts and items not readily available in the US. Multiple times I have priced jewelry on the islands and found similar prices on sale in the states and if something goes wrong, at least its easier to get resolved.

some of the stores. I have had great luck at Diamonds International, Tanzanite International, and Columbian Emeralds ( prior to them changing ownership ). I have purchased Alexandrite that has been appraised at WAY more than I paid for it, traded up diamonds at Diamonds International for larger ones, a Maurice Lacroix watch and a variety of loose stones. Of course I did some research first and wrote down comparative prices and haggled a little.

While I have had the occasional less than great experience, I have also had bad luck here in the states from reputable jewelers, such as Jared, where I bought a platinum and diamond ring. I was told one thing, given a written guarantee and when I brought it to my local jeweler I was told that the diamonds were a few levels down from what I purchased. So I brough the ring back with the appraisal and was refunded saying they must have made a mistake and classified the diamonds wrongly, well I think they were trying to just rip off people.

Not too long ago I bought a Timex watch on sale at Pennys, of course they didn't tell me it was discontinued...( I didn't ask )...It stopped ticking about two weeks later when I brought it back they told me it was a discontinued item and could not be returned, ( First time I was ever told that by pennys), I asked to have it repaired and between the shipping, etc it wasn't worth it, so I called Timex. Well on this particular model that didn't take a licking but stopped ticking anyway, Timex said that it the movement wasn't guaranteed but could be replaced for cost if I brought it back to the original store...Just what Pennys told me.

So here in Chicago, I got duped by JCPenny buying a name brand watch. I'm not out a lot of money, but It was one of the spur of the moment things, I let myself slip without looking into it, and I paid the price.

So for all you first time watch buyers, stay away from buying watches in Chicago at JCPENNY......Sounds ridiculas, well, true story...but lesson learned. Buyer Beware.

Do your research, know what you are buying, and make sure to ask what are your options if something breaks or goes wrong.

Anybody need a timex that doesn't work....Cheap?

Dave:eek:

We never shop in the "infamous ship kickback" stores! We always buy local souvenirs or we will purchase some finer things on the ships themselves. We have found very few ports that would qualify for excellent customer service and shopping. We always see the sights first and then shop our way back to the ship! Always know before you go!

Sorry, but you decided to spend a lot of money at a store because a total stranger recommended it. I think you just paid for your education.

If you item is “real” your guarantee will cover it. If you bought a knock off, that was lesson number 2.

I agree, if shopping is your thing go for it, we have met so many other cruisers that cruise only to shop, some that don't like to shop and some that really could take it or leave it.

I wanted a strand of nice pearls and after much research was told the Island best for pearls, found what we were looking for, brought them home and was appraised for several hundreds more than I paid. You do need to do your research and I have found that most diamond and stones can be purchased for the same price and sometimes less in the U.S.

We did not use the recommended stores!

Happy KS wrote:

For the life of me, I don't understand why people will travel to a foreign country, then spend their time shopping

I hate shopping at home(and I'm a woman), I only shop when I need something in particular. But when I'm in a foreign country I like to browse (and sometimes buy). I will often see things in foreign shops that I can't get at home or that are maybe cheaper than at home. And lets not forget the souvenirs and gifts for family and friends.

Sorry, but you decided to spend a lot of money at a store because a total stranger recommended it. I think you just paid for your education.

If you item is “real” your guarantee will cover it. If you bought a knock off, that was lesson number 2.

That "total stranger" was a Celebrity Representative. Colombian Emeralds sells only "REAL" items.

This was not a "lesson". I've been lied to, and after 31 cruises I know the difference between being "educated" and being ripped off.

Happy KS wrote:

I hate shopping at home(and I'm a woman), I only shop when I need something in particular. But when I'm in a foreign country I like to browse (and sometimes buy). I will often see things in foreign shops that I can't get at home or that are maybe cheaper than at home. And lets not forget the souvenirs and gifts for family and friends.

Thanks for your reply, KS. I don't get jlp20's post, but I'll do what I want to when I'm on vacation, thank you very much. If I want to shop, I'll shop. If I want to go sightseeing, I'll do that. If I want to warn my fellow cruisers about my experience, I'll do that too. It's MY vacation and I'll do what I want.

I trusted Celebrity and Eric. The only reason I posted this in the first place was to warn first time cruisers about what happened to us, I was trying to educate THEM so the same thing didn't happen to them.

You got that right! There's no right or wrong when you're on vacation! My DH likes to browse as well, so we split the day. I actually like the browsing better than the spending part! I have been to some places so many times that I do not need to sightsee! It does pay to read the whole post and not slam the OP.

Archived