First NCL Cruise (NCL Star): Questions!!!

airlinerob

I have been a loyal RCL/Celebrity cruiser for several years, and I am going on NCL for the first time.

I do have a few questions that I am hoping my fellow cruisers here can assist me with...

1. Does NCL allow you to bring wine on board the ship? RCL/Celebrity allow you to bring wine that they don't carry on board - and they only charge a corking fee.

2. I have never done "freestyle" cruising, but I am very interested in how it all works. It seems like a nice, interesting idea... :-) I heard that it does have a lobster night - is the lobster only available in certain dining rooms?

3. Are there any MUST DO restaurants? Any that are not the best and could be passed by? How far in advance can you make reservations? I am traveling with my parents, and they like to eat early (5-6pm). I heard that they offer lower service charges in some of the restaurants during that time. Is that correct?

4. Are there any "must see" or "little known/secret" things to do on board NCL or more specifically the NCL Star that I really need to ensure I do? I know that on board RCL, there are often some "little known" things to do that are great - but aren't really publicized.

5. Any suggestions for things to do in the ports of call of Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, Puerto Vallarta, or Cabo San Lucas?

Can't wait!! My first NCL experience starts 1 week from today!!! :-)

Thanks everyone for your great information!

http://www.7blueseas.com/global/pages/NCLFSDining_popup.asp

http://www.7blueseas.com/cruiselines/ship.asp?id=34&page=2

Fee Restaurants

Ginza

A japanese/Thai/Chinese restaurant complex also featuring sushi,sashimi and a teppanyaki room.

$12.50

bluebullet.gif Le Bistro

An upscale French Restaurant offering a menu of modern and classic gourmet cuisine.

$15.00

bluebullet.gifThe SoHo RoomThis high-end Pacific Rim restaurant offers an expert fusion of Californian and Polynesian cuisine. The results are artful appetizers, entrées and deserts.

$15.00

bluebullet.gif Cagney's SteakhouseTexas (Houston Space Center, Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers) is the theme in this upscale steakhouse.

$20.00

We sail lots of different cruiselines and enjoy the variety that each offers. We just got off NCL Star two weeks ago and really enjoyed this ship. Ginza Japanese Restaurant was our favorite for only $10 pp(not $12.50). Try the steak terriyaki and tempura. Hot and sour soup was great.

You can bring wine onboard in your carryons. There is a $15 corkage fee per bottle that you can pay when you checkin. Don't try to sneak bottles in your checked luggage because they are discovered by the scanning equipment.

Lobster was served in the no fee restaurants (Versailles and Aqua) on the second night of the cruise. You do not need reservations at these main dining venues. You can check the menus outside each restaurant each day.

The specialty restaurants list their menus on the cabin tv.

There are two no fees restaurants that we made reservations for. The Italian Restaurant (no fee) Latratoria had a nice selection of Italian foods. We also experimented with the Mexican menu at the Endless Summer (no fee) Restaurant,which is delightful with the Atrium Band playing every other hour. We booked 6:45 because we knew the band played from 7pm-8pm. Ask for a view overlooking the ocean or the atrium/band.

Don't forget there is a movie theater onboard. There is also a spa with indoor pool and hot tub--great on sea days for peace and quiet and worth the daily fee.

1. Does NCL allow you to bring wine on board the ship? RCL/Celebrity allow you to bring wine that they don't carry on board - and they only charge a corking fee. Yes, you can bring it on board, and although I have never done so, I believe the fee for brining your own bottle on is about $15.

2. I have never done "freestyle" cruising, but I am very interested in how it all works. It seems like a nice, interesting idea... :-) I heard that it does have a lobster night - is the lobster only available in certain dining rooms? With freestyle you never need a reservation, and you can eat WHENEVER and WHERE EVER you'd like. Plus, you don't have to dress formally if you don't care to. There is a lobster night, and I remember the lobster being available in Windows on the Spirit and the Dawn, but I am not sure if other no-cost dining rooms serve it. I would never sail a ship again that does not offer Free-Style, it's that good :)

3. Are there any MUST DO restaurants? Any that are not the best and could be passed by? How far in advance can you make reservations? I am traveling with my parents, and they like to eat early (5-6pm). I heard that they offer lower service charges in some of the restaurants during that time. Is that correct? I don't think you can go wrong with the French restaurant, Le Bistro. Delicious. $15 to eat there if I remember correctly. But the simple places like Blue Lagoon are wonderful for a burger and fries. Not sure if there is a Salsa restaurant on the Star, but if so my fiance and I liked that one... you can put together your own fajitas at your table!

4. Are there any "must see" or "little known/secret" things to do on board NCL or more specifically the NCL Star that I really need to ensure I do? I know that on board RCL, there are often some "little known" things to do that are great - but aren't really publicized. Can't think of any off the top of my head... oh wait, you can do laundry for free (detergent $1), this may help you to pack less!

5. Any suggestions for things to do in the ports of call of Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, Puerto Vallarta, or Cabo San Lucas? Never been, but have a WONDERFUL time!!

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

There is no laundry on the ship. I brought some Tide "sink" packets at Walmart that I used since my son used up all his white socks playing dodgeball and basketball.

Only other secret is the hot tub on deck 13 in the front of the ship.Great to watch sunsets!

Have fun.

don't forget the blue lagoon...good hamburgers, fresh fries, chicken wings and other great stuff. made to order on a grill right there. sit down service in a small "cafe" style seating. also has coffee, tea, ice, glasses, cookies and dessert breads for the grabbing. since it's along a main walkway, those things are just right there, easy to reach for.

the versailles is between floors. when you get to the main door you still need to go down some more steps. if anyone has mobility problems, from deck 7..go to the far left elevatar (i think that i the one), stop at deck 6.

misses the steps all together. just need move to where the the hostess can see you.

the versailles is lovely, but can get more crowded and (maybe) loud. if you like more dark/romantic/quiet use the aqua. same menu in either.

don't forget to use the wheel by the door. people complain about their room not being cleaned on some cruises, i wonder how many forget to turn the wheel off "do not distrub". :rolleyes:

have a great time, we loved that ship. going to make cruising another line very hard.

With freestyle you never need a reservation, and you can eat WHENEVER and WHERE EVER you'd like.

This answer could be a little misleading. Without making a reservation it can sometimes be difficult (if not impossible) to get into some of the specialty dining rooms, especially the smaller ones.

BTW-when we were on the Jewel, on lobster night, lobster was available in all the dining rooms. I had one in Tangos and in the Blue Lagoon late that night (but that's been quite a while ago now).

-Monte

This answer could be a little misleading. Without making a reservation it can sometimes be difficult (if not impossible) to get into some of the specialty dining rooms, especially the smaller ones.

BTW-when we were on the Jewel, on lobster night, lobster was available in all the dining rooms (but that's been quite a while ago now)

-Monte

when they are serving lobsters(rock crab) it is generally available in all the dining rooms. You don't need reservations for the main dining rooms(normally 2-3), the buffet and the all day/night grill.

when they are serving lobsters(rock crab) it is generally available in all the dining rooms. .

Thanks Sid-glad to hear that hasn't changed. I didn't "pig out" on the Sun a few months ago so wasn't sure if it was the same ;)

You basically said what I did about reservations. I was only pointing out that they're needed sometimes in the spec rooms. Occasionally a walk up will get in the spec (extra pay) rooms (or even the Italian-included), but there's no guarantee.

-Monte

Thanks Sid-glad to hear that hasn't changed. I didn't "pig out" on the Sun a few months ago so wasn't sure if it was the same ;)

You basically said what I did about reservations. I was only pointing out that they're needed sometimes in the spec rooms. Occasionally a walk up will get in the spec (extra pay) rooms (or even the Italian-included), but there's no guarantee.

-Monte

Generally if you like to eat late there are almost always places available. Now that they are 1/2 price at 5:30 and 6 the early ones are full as well....

:) Hey Monte we loved the Dawn last week ...best food from any NCL cruise we have been on(8 I think)...

Just off the Star and I thought I should correct some things we read on the Board and subsequently found out were no longer available. First, reservations can only been made 1 day in advance -- you can no longer book for the entire cruise the day you embark. Second, lobster IS NOT available in all the restaurants on lobster night so check carefully if you really want the lobster. We went to La Trattoria expecting to be able to order lobster and were informed that it was only in the main dining rooms (Versaille and Aqua). Third, no more half price early dining. If you want lobster in Cagney's, go early in the cruise. We went to Cagney's the second last night and could not get a whole lobster as they were running out. The ship is wonderful and freestyle is the ONLY way to go. Enjoy.

Sid-sounds like we might be going to the main rooms anyway on the first sea day. That's fine to me, we like it there anyhow. And as you mentioned,the new menus seem to be getting good reviews.

So many, rules and procedures have changed recently, that the next time I'm on NCL it might be like a new experience

-Monte

Cagney's Steakhouse[/b]Texas (Houston Space Center, Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers) is the theme in this upscale steakhouse.

$20.00

Actually, the theme of Cagney's is the Chicago gangster-era steakhouse. You'll see black and white photos all over the place, including at least one of James Cagney. It's cool! But definitely not Texas.

Actually, the theme of Cagney's is the Chicago gangster-era steakhouse. You'll see black and white photos all over the place, including at least one of James Cagney. It's cool! But definitely not Texas.

Sounds great.

I plan to try each of the restaurants during my cruise at least once.

My husband and I sailed last spring. Acap. - grab a taxi, see the divers get back on board and enjoy the ship. To us the town was TJ by the sea.A "secret" is, the spa pool, steam rooms and dressing rooms or available to all, at least they were when we were on, it's quiet and has a great view from the back of the ship.The Tepanyaki we thought was awful, enjoyed Le Bistro, the main dining rooms were just as good! On lobster night it is ship wide, so don't pay extra at the pay rest. The sushi is a good choice for luch w/ a bowl of miso soup!The buffet was good for a quick bfast before heading out! the diner was so-so. Don't miss the chilled soups at lunch in the dining room..to die for!!!We did the zipline in PV and LOVED it, the ATV in Cabo, great came home and bought our own. At Ixtapa we took a water taxi to the beach you see off the ship, found some chairs ordered beer and enjoyed the day (this was my favorite day) Ij Ixtapa visit Valentina's or o's for beautiful pewter and silver!Have a wonderful time!!!!

We just got off of the Star also. We ate in the speciality restaurants every night. The only one that we didn't like was Endless Summer- tex mex. We thought that it was awful. All of the others were absolutely delicious. The service in all of the speciality restuurants was outstanding- they really spoil you!! We never ate in the main dining rooms so don't have an opinion on that. We loved every single part of this cruise- you will have a great time!!! :D

Archived