Things to do in Mobile

wghcpa

We are going to spend two days in Mobile before our cruise. We will have two 13 year old girls with us. Can anyone recommend fun things to do and possibly a restaurant or two?

Don't miss the USS Alabama. I would think that 13 year old girls would find it fascinating climbing in and around it along with the submarine. The day we were there there were lots of families with younger and older children. That's just a couple of miles from the terminal. Downtown there are several museums, can't remember which one has the HUGE dollhouses - the girls would really like those. Anyone downtown can tell you which museum has those. There is an old fort downtown that is fascinating to go through also - lots to see and lots of detail in the exhibits. Try breakfast one of your days downtown at "A Spot of Tea" - we highly recommend the Bananas Foster French Toast :D Check out the travel and tourism websites as there is a lot to see and do outside of Mobile, all within easy traveling distance. We did not realize just what all there is to see and do in/around Mobile and we only live 4 hours away!

We are going to spend two days in Mobile before our cruise. We will have two 13 year old girls with us. Can anyone recommend fun things to do and possibly a restaurant or two?

The Mardi Gras Museum is downtown on Government Street and has great exhibits. The Exploreum is also right downtown at the corner of Government and Water Street...kids love that. If the girls like pizza, Picklefish on Dauphin and Joachim is the place to go. I agree with Dixielee...the USS Alabama is a fun visit and I also recommend taking a drive further east along the Causeway (where the battleship is) to dine at one of many great seafood restaurants on the bay...Felix's is more upscale, Ed's Seafood Shed has a great outdoor deck for dining and the best fried shrimp (IMHO) in Mobile. The Blue Gill (a little further east) is on the north side of the Causeway and has an outdoor dining area with a play area for the kids...if it's warm enough you can usually spot a gator or two from either the Blue Gill or Ed's.

The Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay (and the Causeway) have a lot of great places to access the bay...not so many on the Mobile side. In Daphne, there is Bayfront Park with a boardwalk that meanders through the woods and ends up right on the bay. The Fairhope pier is also a great place to get up close and personal with our greatest asset here...the water.

There's a lot to see and do down here...I recommend checking out these sites:

http://www.mobile.org/

http://www.cofairhope.com/

http://www.daphneal.com/

Have fun!

There are some great tips here - Also you might want to consider the Exploreum - they have the only I-Max Dome theater on the coast, and it awesome to be surrounded by the show. The Museum with the dollhouses is the Museum of Mobile, located next to the Exploreum - both downtown practically across from the cruise terminal. Ed's Seafood Shed is awesome for fresh gulf seafood, and you can't miss breakfast/lunch at Spot of Tea.

I also recommend a trip to Bellingrath Gardens - especially if you are cruising April-Sept - the blooming gardens are not to be missed! You also have the Tanger Factory outlet malls only 45 minutes away in Foley for great shopping and Gulf Shores just south of Foley!

Enjoy Mobile!

Archived