WindSurf/Sale/short review

xsnowman99

Just got back from 7 GLORIOUS days on WindSurf....was on board when the sale 'email arrived'. Guests were sent a letter to stateroom approximately 4 hours after the Captain/staff were informed of the sale. Needless to say, everyone was (and still were when we got off) in shock. The 'new owner' and 'old owner' were supposed to board today to chat with the captain. The crew are all very nervous about their future jobs--their fear is that they will be replaced with another nationality crew. Most of them feel like the WindStar ships and crew are their families...they miss the food at home, but the crew they work with--and have worked with for years in some cases--are their families. It was difficult to watch them struggle. There were many tears when we left not knowing if we would see each other again....I think things will stay the same with them for at least a year due to their contracts. However, it may be a situation where as the current crews contracts expire, they will be replaced with new workers.

Our trip was lovely. some things were different from last year (this was our 5th WindStar cruise in 5 years)---Degress is lovely, though, I cannot say the food was any better than Bistro. The new Yacht Club was a very nice open area...my only complaint was there was a charge for coffee/cappucino's/expresso's. The new computers worked great!

The Ipod's and sound system were a welcome addition to the room. The service was not quite as good as usual. There seemed to be less crew so I think that was where the diference was. Those there worked as hard as usual. I am attributing this to the automatically 'added tips'(which I quite frankly have no problem with)...but, maybe it was just due to crew cutbacks from corporate and the fallout that those onboard do need to sleep occasionally! I do know they used to get a couple hours off during the day and some short breaks..those short breaks are gone and often they get about an hour break which is just enough time to eat and dress for the next shift.

The renovations and upgrades were very nice.

I am hoping that things do not change much because I cannot imagine going on another ship and I would like to cruise again!

Keep your fingers crossed...for those aboard and for those of us wishing we were back on board....

Thanks xsnowman99 for your mini review of the Surf and the crew's and captain's initial reaction to the news of the impending sale of Windstar to Ambassador. You did not happen to mention if your early departure from Barbados (you asked my help on) went smoothly, but I guess it did.

Did you happen to talk to the Hotel Manager or Captain yourself to get their personal thoughts about the sale? How was Ria (at the reception desk) ?

Have the earlier problems I wrote about in January with the zodiacs and marina been remedied?

I don't think the officers and crew have to worry about being unemployed - my guess is that either Ambassadors/V.Ships will ask them to stay on, or HAL will offer them jobs on their other ships. And if neither one happens (which seems quite unlikely to me), I am sure plenty of other cruise lines would be happy to have them.

As an example, when Seabourn de-merged from Cunard they kept Cunard (now P&O Princess) as ship managers for a while, before switching to V.Ships. Most of their shipboard staff stayed with the ships and were hired by V.Ships. Some others stayed with P&O Princess and moved to other ships, and a few moved on to greener pastures altogether.

If they are good at what they do, I doubt that too many of the Windstar crew will be abandoned by both Ambassadors and by HAL. If Ambassadors doesn't want them I would think HAL would! Of course they may not want to work for a new employer (V.Ships, who will be the employer of the Windstar ships' crews under Ambassadors) or on larger ships (the other HAL ships) but I can't see them being put out on the street.

I've seen other lines go through changes in ownership and management, or even go out of business altogether, and ultimately it seems to work out pretty well for most of the people who worked for them. Some of them go to the new owners, some (in cases like this, where the old owners still have other ships) will stay with the old owners, some will move on to other things altogether but in the end most seem happy with the way things work out. The cruise business is still growing very quickly and quality people with experience are in demand. My impression right now is that it's a "sellers' market" - I know a number of people who have found their cruise lines gone or changed and have had multiple prospective employers wanting to hire them, and a lot of them have wound up in better jobs than they had before. And even people whose cruise lines are still around often switch lines at the end of their contracts because someone else made them "an offer they couldn't refuse". (A lot of HAL people did this a few years ago, and then wound up back at HAL after one or two contracts.) So I have high hopes that one way or another, the majority of Windstar people will have good futures in the cruise industry.

Gymswim...the marina and sports platform seemed to be working well. There were no complaints and activity both off the back of the ship and on shore for the beach barbeque.

Our disembarkation was better only because, armed with information from you, we made our own arrangements. We arrived in Barbados a day early and stayed at the Grand Barbados Beach Resort...we asked if we could come back for the day we disembarked and they had no issues with it. So, we caught our own taxi over. The only thing I did have to chuckle at was, after immediately disembarking the ship, we had to walk to the pier that housed our luggage. Apparently, even if you have eyour own 'thing' to do, they do not provide you transportation back to where you started. Good news is that it wasn"t to far.

Ria is doing fine. Jay just got back from vacation so they were glad to be 'back together'. She and I shared some tears over the uncertainness of everyone's job. I only hope things will work out for all of the crew to stay on board the WindStar ships if that is their choice (which, in most cases of crew I talked to it is their choice). Most do not want to go tothe 'big ship'.

I have my fingers crossed for them that this will be a good change for them and they do not have to make the choice to 'jump ship' to another line.

I spent 5 years working (living) on board Windstar ships and I will always consider Windstar as my second home. Great people and great memories...

Knowing almost every crew member on board Windstar ships I am sure that every single company will be more than happy to have them on board.

Dear friends, I wish you all the best in the future!!!!

I spent 5 years working (living) on board Windstar ships and I will always consider Windstar as my second home. Great people and great memories...

Knowing almost every crew member on board Windstar ships I am sure that every single company will be more than happy to have them on board.

Dear friends, I wish you all the best in the future!!!!

Afternoon Tea, it sounds like from your post that you might feel that the new owners of our beloved Windstar Ships will be looking for a different type of crew member when they assume ownership. While our experience sailing on the Windstar was very limited, only one cruise aboard the Windsurf last September, out of all the cruises that we have taken this cruise stood out for us, not because of the beautiful ship, the wonderful food and the great ports, but because of the friends we made with the incredible crew. I could board one of their ships today and feel like I was visiting a friend. A friend that welcomed you with open arms. These individuals are true treasures for the cruise industry and I hope they are recognized as such.

Archived