How do you do formal night?

JimandLouise

How do you do formal night?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. How do you do formal night?

• Its a 'special night' I'll get in a tux any chance I get.
    • Why waste the money on a tux when a dark suit will do?
    • I attend formal nights but I don't dress for the occasion.
    • I stick to room service or Horizon Court those nights - I don't want to dress up.

On Carnival, we've seen it all in the dining room. On formal night we saw jeans and T-shirts, golfing shirts and slacks, evening gowns and tux's, and simple sun dresses. Maybe it was a different crowd and atmosphere than other cruise lines. Our family always dress for the occasion. Perhaps those who don't dress for the occasion figure no one will ever see them again so why bother.

While waiting to get into the dining room on a formal evening a group had gathered in front of the doors. A couple walked up and both were wearing shorts and he even had one of those t-shirts that is supposed to look like a tux ! Well, the maitre'd smiled but stood there shaking his head back and forth saying no, no, no. He came over and said something to them and they walked away. A lot of people started clapping.

Would you really complain because another passenger is wearing shorts?

I would never let the appearance of another passenger in shorts or whatever affect my vacation to the point that I had to interrupt (no matter how briefly) my vacation to seek someone out to lodge a complaint.

To each their own!

You betcha... :D I can deal with those that do not dress up for the formal evening and wear their dockers, polos and sweaters, but wearing shorts shows total disrespect for the rest of the passengers. In that instance, I have no problem briefly interrupting my vacation.. Too each their own.

On Carnival, we've seen it all in the dining room. On formal night we saw jeans and T-shirts, golfing shirts and slacks, evening gowns and tux's, and simple sun dresses. Maybe it was a different crowd and atmosphere than other cruise lines. Our family always dress for the occasion. Perhaps those who don't dress for the occasion figure no one will ever see them again so why bother.

Guess thats why I do not go on Carnival.. You are not the first one that I have heard this from.. :eek:

I'm on the cruise for my own enjoyment. If I see people that are underdressed I look at them,,,form my opinion good or bad, then quickly go onto enjoying myself. I am not going to dwell on if any one is over or under dressed. It's there cruise too, even if they don't conform to the dress code.

I was reading the “Cruise Answer Book” (page 16) I recently received from Princess.

There is a distinction that I don’t think a lot of folks understand. When Princess writes about their two dining choices; “Traditional Fixed Seating” or “Personal Choice Dining” they are writing about their two dining rooms, one used for traditional and the other for anytime dining. The other dining choices are just that, other choices. They are not technically part of either traditional or personal choice. If you choose traditional you are assigned a table in a dining room for every night of the cruise. Choosing personal choice allows you to eat in the other dining room anytime between 5:30 p.m. and 10 p.m with the same menu as the traditional dining room. All passengers are invited to dine in the other (Sterling, etc.) dining venues whether a part of traditional or personal choice. Turning to page 17 in the Cruise Answer Book it clearly shows: “Attire for Main Dining Rooms”. This indicates that the dress code is not applicable to the alternate dining venues. Near the bottom right of page 17, it clearly states: “The dress code suggested in the Princess Patter may vary from time to time.” Once again, stating the dress code, even in the dining rooms is suggested.

I’m sure someone will find literature printed elsewhere that indicates otherwise. Again, that only provides foundation to my assertion that the problem concerning dress codes lies with Princess.

I'm on the cruise for my own enjoyment. If I see people that are underdressed I look at them,,,form my opinion good or bad, then quickly go onto enjoying myself. I am not going to dwell on if any one is over or under dressed. It's there cruise too, even if they don't conform to the dress code.

Agreed. Same with annoying people. I'll just move away and not let it bother me.

We did see someone in a kilt on formal night on the CP 2 weeks ago, he looked great, just as dressy as everyone else. I guess I didn't realize a kilt was formalwear--although I've seen Sean Connery in a kilt and he looked pretty classy (but he always does).

Call me "old fashioned" but we do formal night by being FORMAL. Not only is it correct (heavens,,,good manners do still exist somewhere) but it is a lot of fun seeing the same oft-ugly bodies from the pool, looking fantastic in their formal-wear. One of my regrets about recent cruising is looking more and more at those who simply have bad taste rather than ooing and ahing at those with the gorgeous gowns, classy Tuxes, etc.

Hank

I'm not sure what to do. We're going on our first cruise next week (Coral to Alaska), and it's a family trip. My wife and I are costumers and dancers, and I have a remarkable selection of formal wear - tux, tails, many waistcoats, vests, cravats, bowties, cummerbunds, different sets of studs and cufflinks, top hats, white gloves, etc. I obviously love dressing up.

My family does not. The gentlemen are planning on nothing more formal than a sports coat for the Formal Nights. I'm not sure what to do - I don't want to be the only one at the table formally dressed as I don't want to make my dining companions (family) feel uncomfortably underdressed.

On the other hand, if it really is a formal night I don't want to be dressed like a shlub.

HELP! Comments and suggestions welcomed and encouraged.

Thanks!

On our Panama Canal Cruise in March 2003, I saw a guy being seated in the dinning room on formal night in shorts with a body shirt and sandals.
Anytime I see a outright disregard of dress guidelines like this, I put in a constructive complaint…it’s one thing to dress non-formally. It’s another to dress in gym clothes. :rolleyes:

Call me "old fashioned" but we do formal night by being FORMAL. Not only is it correct (heavens,,,good manners do still exist somewhere) but it is a lot of fun seeing the same oft-ugly bodies from the pool, looking fantastic in their formal-wear. One of my regrets about recent cruising is looking more and more at those who simply have bad taste rather than ooing and ahing at those with the gorgeous gowns, classy Tuxes, etc.

Hank

The above post is interesting, and unfortunately seems to be shared by many.

This poster says: “Not only is it correct…” If I don’t dress in formal attire, I am incorrect? Not according to Princess Cruises!

“Heavens…good manners do still exist…” If I don’t dress in formal attire, does that indicate I do not have good manners?

“Simply have bad taste…” That is your opinion and not necessarily the opinion of others.

Aside form the prohibition on shorts, etc, any passenger who dresses in other than formal attire and frequents one of the alternate dinning venues (or the dining room) is in complete compliance with the suggested dress code.

After numerous discussions along these lines on this board, I have concluded that this disdain for the non-formally attired passengers is nothing more than a culturally sanctioned form of discrimination. That being said, that still does not make it correct and/or appropriate. All the complaining in the world does not lay any foundation for the distaste that some have for us non-formal passengers. Princess Cruises is the company that set this policy and we non-formal passengers are in compliance with that policy.

When Princess writes about their two dining choices; “Traditional Fixed Seating” or “Personal Choice Dining” they are writing about their two dining rooms, one used for traditional and the other for anytime dining. The other dining choices are just that, other choices. They are not technically part of either traditional or personal choice. If you choose traditional you are assigned a table in a dining room for every night of the cruise. Choosing personal choice allows you to eat in the other dining room anytime between 5:30 p.m. and 10 p.m with the same menu as the traditional dining room. All passengers are invited to dine in the other (Sterling, etc.) dining venues whether a part of traditional or personal choice. Turning to page 17 in the Cruise Answer Book it clearly shows: “Attire for Main Dining Rooms”. This indicates that the dress code is not applicable to the alternate dining venues. Near the bottom right of page 17, it clearly states: “The dress code suggested in the Princess Patter may vary from time to time.” Once again, stating the dress code, even in the dining rooms is suggested.
I’m not sure what the answer book currently says – I’ll check it when I get home – but the original intent of “Personal Choice” dining encompassed Traditional, Anytime (which is what many refer to as Personal Choice) and alternative restaurants. The whole Personal Choice moniker was applied to the Princess cruise experience.

I think you’re right – the problem lies with Princess Cruises not enforcing the dress guidelines, but it is a result of their attempt to attract as many passengers as they can to keep their ships full. They’re trying to appeal to the masses and so what used to be considered a formal evening is now gently hinted at. This way, nobody is wrong, right? But I also wonder why no one considers that maybe Princess – incorrectly – assumes that its passengers can correctly interpret suggested dress guidelines and that it doesn’t have to baby sit them. The Answer book also indicates the alternative restaurants are “upscale.” To me, common sense indicates that on a formal night, I should visit an upscale restaurant properly dressed.

When I see the dress guidelines – suggested or not – ignored on a cruise, I comment on it. I like to think I single handedly got jeans officially banned from the dining room.

After numerous discussions along these lines on this board, I have concluded that this disdain for the non-formally attired passengers is nothing more than a culturally sanctioned form of discrimination.
Oh brother… :rolleyes:
All the complaining in the world does not lay any foundation for the distaste that some have for us non-formal passengers. Princess Cruises is the company that set this policy and we non-formal passengers are in compliance with that policy.
I find it interesting that those who choose to dress informally for a formal evening like to position themselves as victims because others don’t approve. It seems there are always lengthy posts trying to justify the lack of dress to match the spirit of the evening the cruise line is trying to present. What is it about protesting too much?

By the way, check the poll results.

bdjam has some good points which I agree with completely.

And 92% seem to agree that on formal nights, tuxedos and suits, and I will even add sport coats and ties to the mix are de rigueur.

This poster says: “Not only is it correct…” If I don’t dress in formal attire, I am incorrect? Not according to Princess Cruises!

Princess sets the guidelines, and the group decides what is appropriate within the framework. 91% would therefore say that you are incorrect.

“Heavens…good manners do still exist…” If I don’t dress in formal attire, does that indicate I do not have good manners?

If you are doing so in a manner that intentionally offends others, then yes, you do not have good manners. It IS possible to be in the right and still be terribly wrong. It's all in the approach.

“Simply have bad taste…” That is your opinion and not necessarily the opinion of others.

The question has not been explicitly asked in the poll, but perhaps there are many who DO consider that your actions are in bad taste. Or not. The gym clothes clearly would be bad taste, a sports jacket with tie, probably not.

After numerous discussions along these lines on this board, I have concluded that this disdain for the non-formally attired passengers is nothing more than a culturally sanctioned form of discrimination. [/QUOTE]

Now, comparing one's argument about dress, particularly when it is as academic as this dicussion is, to a civil rights issue is in bad taste. There is no need to resort to hyperbole.

Let me make a comment about the word "suggested". It has several connotations, and the one most commonly chosen in this argument is that the dress is purely optional. Suggested can also mean "strongly recommended" or "politely requested". What do you believe the intent of dress requests is?

When I see the dress guidelines – suggested or not – ignored on a cruise, I comment on it. I like to think I single handedly got jeans officially banned from the dining room.

How do you direct your comments? Is it in the context that Princess needs to change their policy on formal dress since some passengers choose not to dress formally in compliance with the dress policies of Princess. Do you ask Princess to change their policies?

I find it interesting that those who choose to dress informally for a formal evening like to position themselves as victims because others don’t approve. It seems there are always lengthy posts trying to justify the lack of dress to match the spirit of the evening the cruise line is trying to present.

By the way, check the poll results.

Can't speak for everyone, but I have never positioned myself as a victim of anything. In fact, it is those who direct their disapproval at the non formal wearing that are the victim. They inappropriately direct their distaste at the non formal passenger. Their distaste should be directed at the cruise line who established the policy.

[/size][/font]

Princess sets the guidelines, and the group decides what is appropriate within the framework. 91% would therefore say that you are incorrect.

I think a more appropriate way to write that would have been: 91% would therefore disagree with the attire policy on Princess Ships. Many people disagree with guidelines, suggestions, etc. That does not change the underlying policy, guideline, etc.

The question has not been explicitly asked in the poll, but perhaps there are many who DO consider that your actions are in bad taste. Or not. The gym clothes clearly would be bad taste, a sports jacket with tie, probably not.

Since you have probably never seen me on a cruise and therefore have no idea how I dress on formal night or otherwise, you, like so many others have made an uninformed conclusion. That is discrimination.

Now, comparing one's argument about dress, particularly when it is as academic as this dicussion is, to a civil rights issue is in bad taste. There is no need to resort to hyperbole.

When and/or where did I equate my claim that this is a form of cultural discrimination to a civil rights issue? This is another example of those who have formed opinions with no basis for that opinion are discriminating!

Let me make a comment about the word "suggested". It has several connotations, and the one most commonly chosen in this argument is that the dress is purely optional. Suggested can also mean "strongly recommended" or "politely requested". What do you believe the intent of dress requests is?

I have quoted the definition of SUGGESTED in another thread. I was labeled with the title Mr. Dictionary which I find extremely amusing and I kind of like. I do not disagree with your definition. However, I would point out that nowhere in your definition does it say mandated, or required. Therefore, in accordance with your definition, I am in compliance with the dress code if I choose not to dress in formal attire. Thanks

"All the complaining in the world does not lay any foundation for the distaste that some have for us non-formal passengers. Princess Cruises is the company that set this policy and we non-formal passengers are in compliance with that policy."

It’s interesting that no one disagreed with the statement I wrote, quoted above. I believe it is because there is no argument with the above. Although underlying foundation and fact seem to have little do to with some folks statements.

If I showed up in the dinning room on a sea day when the suggested attire is casual and outside temps in the 90’s wearing a full tux, would the disdain be at the same level? If not, why not? (Please note, I am illustrating absurdity with absurdity.)

'Kicker, I think you misunderstood this statement:

No one has ever asked what would be considered "bad taste". It would be an interesting thread, but maybe too hot to consider. I was giving you, and anyone else for that matter, the benefit of the doubt. It was a poorly constructed statement on my part. My apologies.

We're arguing semantics. When you see the word "suggested" you give it a meaning to support your point of view. When I see "discrimination" I immediately jump to the connotation of civil rights abuse.

I agree, nothing is mandated or required, and I'm absolutely fine with that. We should all have the option to do what we think is best. It is only when the worlds collide that there is conflict. I find it disheartening that some of those who choose not to participate in formal nights adopt the attitude that those who value the experience are living in a "fantasy". Each side is doing what they believe is best. For me, formal nights are something unique to cruising, and I enjoy the opportunity to dress the part. I understand that others might not share that opinion. It is only when those who differ decide to take actions that are intended to cause discomfort to the other side that problems arise. That is equally applicable to both sides. I think if everyone showed a little respect and tolerance to each other, regardless of personal opinion, we'd all be a lot better off.

'Kicker, I think you misunderstood this statement:

We're arguing semantics. When you see the word "suggested" you give it a meaning to support your point of view. When I see "discrimination" I immediately jump to the connotation of civil rights abuse.

I appreciate that, as I never indicated my statement to be anything resembling a civil rights issue.

I find it disheartening that some of those who choose not to participate in formal nights adopt the attitude that those who value the experience are living in a "fantasy".

To the best of my recollection, I have never read where another poster, and certainly not myself wrote anything about those who choose to dress in formal attire are “living in a fantasy”

Each side is doing what they believe is best. For me, formal nights are something unique to cruising, and I enjoy the opportunity to dress the part. I understand that others might not share that opinion.

It is not an opinion for me; I do not enjoy dressing in formal attire. Since is not required, I choose not to dress in formal attire.

It is only when those who differ decide to take actions that are intended to cause discomfort to the other side that problems arise. That is equally applicable to both sides.

I disagree, at least in my case. I have never started one of these formal dress threads. I have never used a pejorative to describe any passenger who chooses to dress in formal attire. On the other hand, I have been called many things, most pejorative, because I choose to express myself in this somewhat public forum. Call me what you want, it’s not a big deal. I am simply attempting to illustrate the misplaced anger and resentment some passengers have for the dress code and inappropriately direct it at those passengers whom choose not to dress in formal attire, which is in compliance with the cruise ship owners' policy.

I think if everyone showed a little respect and tolerance to each other, regardless of personal opinion, we'd all be a lot better off.

I agree. I have shown nothing but respect while attempting to express my points concerning this issue. The point that most refuse to see/read/hear is that the issue is with Princess, not the passengers who are in compliance with the dress policy. I believe that the fact of the matter is that most who chant the should, must, etc., dress formally mantra know that Princess will never mandate formal attire. The notion that I can somehow impede the enjoyment of another passenger’s vacation is preposterous. If I did somehow affect the enjoyment of someone’s cruise simply because I was not attired to their standards, then why would they travel on Princess? I would think they would find it far more enjoyable to cruise with a line that requires passengers to dress in a manner that meets or exceeds their standards. Instead, they choose to attack and belittle those of us that follow the policy, which does not require us to dress in formal attire. I have no problem with anyone dressing in formal attire or otherwise. I am not suggesting anyone stop cruising with Princess because of the way I may or may not dress. I am hoping the anger, name calling, condescension, and aristocratic attitude and behavior would be directed where it belongs, with PRINCESS!

Shipkicker. I seem a bit confused reading all these posts. Can you give me your definitions of "formal", "upscale" and "casual" attire?

Absolutely not! It is irrelevant to this discussion. I am discussing the current policy concerning standards of dress on Princess ships and the fact that there are many who wish to belittle those passengers who do not dress in accordance with their (the passengers)desires, but are in accordance with the ship owners’ policy.

I will tell you that I do not show up in the dinning room on formal night. I may attend one of the alternative restaurants dressed in attire that I would call smart casual. I may order from the dining room menu in my cabin. I hesitate to even state that as it is also irrelevant to this discussion.

The only prohibition/mandate/requirement concerning dress that Princess has in their policies is no shorts, bathing suits, etc. in the dining room for dinner. Other than that, there is no mandate on dress.

Archived