Ncl Sun - Any Tips?

sandradeen

Reading some of your other posts it seems like your boys are 17 and 22. I can't imagine why the 22 year old didn't have a good time

You know, the possible reason "sea-u-later" 22yo didn't have a good time, is he is used to having his parents entertain him.

I know our 22yo boy would have a blast in the clubs, flirting, etc. But, the fact that we would be on the ship would be one sure fire reason he wouldn't sail with us. His attitdue is "what happens on the ship, stays on the ship" and with mom/dad there, well you know! :p

You know, the possible reason "sea-u-later" 22yo didn't have a good time, is he is used to having his parents entertain him.

I know our 22yo boy would have a blast in the clubs, flirting, etc. But, the fact that we would be on the ship would be one sure fire reason he wouldn't sail with us. His attitdue is "what happens on the ship, stays on the ship" and with mom/dad there, well you know! :p

Good points: our granddaughter was married on Celebrity about 18 months ago. her little sister, then 19 shared a cabin with one of the brides friends. My daughter, being the type of mom she is, choose to eat at a different time than the young crowd, we stayead away from them and all the 20 somethings were allowed to do what 20 somethings do. the only rule: you stay in pairs at all times. Our younger granddaughter as well as the rest of the group had a blast. NMNita

I hardly think that my wive and I entertain my 22 year-old son, since he is back in the states as a marine. Anyone who was on the Sun on the 2-18 sailing might have seen him in his dress blues. In the two or so years getting info from this site, I have to say that jerharts quote is the most simple-minded I have ever seen. Amazing!

I hardly think that my wive and I entertain my 22 year-old son, since he is back in the states as a marine. Anyone who was on the Sun on the 2-18 sailing might have seen him in his dress blues. In the two or so years getting info from this site, I have to say that jerharts quote is the most simple-minded I have ever seen. Amazing!
Perhaps the comment was made out of frustration when you made the comment aboout 17-21 year olds. I don't know the answer to the question about a 17 year old, if he didn't want to participate with the other teens. that was his choice. As for your older son, with all the night life and yes, there is a lot on NCL, but not as much as Carnival certainly he could find plenty to do. Thank him from me for serving our country. NMNita

I am glad that I appeal to other "simple-minded" people.

When you make comments like "there's nothing for my 17yo or 22yo to do on the ship" on an open message board you are opening yourself for comments like what I made.

Being a US Marine has no bearing on whether a person is going to have a good time or not - alot of it has to do with the person and them enjoying and making something of the cruise. How hard can that be?

Your 22yo is not a child, he's an adult and a Marine. He should be able to entertain himself, right?

Perhaps cruising isn't his cup of tea.

Geesh!

When you make comments like "there's nothing for my 17yo or 22yo to do on the ship" on an open message board you are opening yourself for comments like what I made.

Being a US Marine has no bearing on whether a person is going to have a good time or not - alot of it has to do with the person and them enjoying and making something of the cruise. How hard can that be?

Your 22yo is not a child, he's an adult and a Marine. He should be able to entertain himself, right?

Geesh!

I agree with you.

Of 10 cruises this was the best ship I have ever been on. We did alaska on it and had a great time. If the singing duo of twice as nice is on there go have fun with them and tell them "brick house" sent you and make them play brick house too. The service on the ship is great, we just were on our first princess ship in january and guess what we renamed it the poopy princess because the ship smelled of sewage the entire week. I have been on a few cruises since sun and have seen her in the same ports and pine for that ship each time.

I totally agree!:) The NCL Sun is a wonderful ship. We also went on it to Alaska last September and had a great time. The crew and staff are so friendly and eagar to please. I love the size--not too big, but plenty of space to explore. The restaurants are excellent, and you have the freedom to choose when and where you eat. Good entertainment, also. I would love to take another cruise on the NCL Sun.

We have brought our sons (we have 3) on various cruises and the last few we forced them (ok I guilted them) to come. Last time we brought all, 3 eldest was old enough to go to the bars and disco (we had to sign a wine and beer allowed form) he had a good time and met people (however still says he doesnt want to vacation with his parents anymore)and the other 2 were bored and shy so they didnt meet people. They arent coming with us anymore. Last cruise on princess (and i mean last) we went with friends and the kidlets stayed home, everyone was happy.

Geesh!

Oh boy, I told myself that I wasnt even going to go back to the NCL page, but I did. First of all, the reason that I mentioned that my son is a Marine is because we were accused of being our sons "entertainment". He has seen more of the real world than most people three times his age. I guess I was asking too much for NCL to put out their own forms of entertainment. But seeing what they had, The Liars club {bet that was big in the 50;s} scavenger hunts and the lamest comedian this side of the Catskills we were pretty much own our own to amuse ourselves. After seeing the way some people blindly defend "their" cruise lines no matter how bad the food or shows are I should have just written it off as a mistake. But this being a forum on ones opinon I thought I was doing the right thing. So only tell others the good parts {hypnotist, plenty of deck chairs, friendly staff, and lots of open room everywhere after 930 pm} But dont tell of the OJ always being empty or watered down, kids hijacking the elevators for lack of something to do, or even the fact that the bar staff dosent even rinse out the souveneir cups {yum} Anyways Ive wasted enough time on a moot point. If youre happy with second rate cruises, good for you. Dont bother replying as I wont be back on this NCL forum. If you need to flame me try checking the RCL page. And by the way, my 22 year-old is taking a cruise this summer with his girlfriend on Carnival {that more like his "cup of tea"}

I can see "young children" needing to be "entertained" but 15 and up? what's wrong with finding your own fun on a cruise ship? or even hanging out with each other playing cards and games and exploring .. isnt that what cruising as a "family" is all about regardless of the cruiseline??

personally my sister brought her kids on a cruise .. and after spending all day in the ports they were more then happy to go back, have dinner, and relax and watch a movie, read a book, play a game, explore the ship ..to each their own I guess, it's all about what you make of things ..

I went through the majority of "Sea-U-Later's" posts, and for the most part I am glad he won't be on NCL anymore. Just about every post he's made is a complaint or negative.

Can't please everyone, and I doubt RCCL or Carnival will live up to their high expectations.

I want to thank all of you who had such nice things to say about the Sun. My DW and I were not going to cruise this Spring but my TA called me and told me about the Sun and now we're sailing on 4/1. We've cruised other lines but never on NCL. Anytime dining never really appealed to us but the more I read about how others are enjoying it, the more I want to try it. Please keep posting your tips about the Sun and thank you all for your wonderful contributions.

Archived