Rome: Advice needed please, on our own

:o I have come to the conclusion that my husband and myself will catch the train into ROme when we are in port, the last SUNDAY of April.

It being a SUnday, I have a cou0ple of questions...

It's my understanding that the Vatican is all open on the last SUnday of the month, free. I cannot sign up for a tour to bypass lines, they don't appear to be available online at the Vatican website. Can I then expect horrendous lines that morning? I had thought of coming in the afternoon but it appears the Sistine chapel and museum closes early and I really don't want to miss those. So my plan is:

Get off the train at the Vatican and head to the museum (and sistine chapel). Then do St. Peter's Basilica.

Onto the Sub to the Pantheon, then sub to Palatine Hill, Forum & Collesum. Everything else I see will be "gravy" as my daughter and I will be back the following year.

Is this itinerary "doable" with being in port 7am-7pm? I'm on the Royal Princess (600 or so passengers)...what time realistically can I expect to have myself at the train station in Cit? What time should I play "Cinderella" :eek: and make sure I am on the train back to port?

I REALLY appreciate responses from all of you! Your help is invaluable! Thanks in advance!

Jean

Well! That is a tough one. We were in Rome in 2005 for 7 days and didn't feel we had enough time.

Re getting off the ship and into Rome. I would guess you would be cleared to leave by 8, you then can hop the shuttle provided to get you to the port entrance, from there it is a 10 minute (easy) walk to the train station. First problem, there will likely be long lines for tickets at the station- a hint is to buy your ticket in the little cafeteria shop next to the train station. The Regional train (if you get the faster train - 45 minutes, you would have to get your ticket in the station) will get you into Rome in about an hour and 15 minutes.

There are lines getting into the Basilica (which is fabulous) but they move quickly, now I don't know if Sunday would be different (we were there on a Tues.)

Getting into the Vatican Museum and the Sistine is a whole other story. We went on a group tour (no special entry privilages) that was five hours long and we still felt rushed and there was about a 30 minute line to get in. I personally feel you really need a guide to see the Museum and Sistine properly.

We walked everywhere in Rome, but if you are pressed for time the subway might be faster.

If the ship leaves at 7 you will need to be on board by 6, so budget at least 2 hours to get back (personally, I would budget more). You can check out schedules at www.trenitalia.com and click on the English button at the top.

My advice would be to leave the Vatican for your next trip, but if DH is not going next year maybe that is the reason for attempting it this year.

I would suggest you take a ships tour that covers the Vatican if they offer it; it will be expensive but you are guaranteed they will wait for you if you are late or forgo the Vatican and go into Rome and see the other sites at a more leisurely pace - there is SO much to see.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip - we will be back in Rome again for 3 days next week!

Archived