Waxing..Never Tried..Do's and Dont's?

Wow! Never thought I'd go on a public board with this question but here goes!

Ladies, I'm sooo tired of the leg shaving routine and don't want to waste time on my cruise. Is waxing a good alternative? I've never tried and don't know the first thing about it besides it is somewhat painful. That doesn't bother me in the least though.

How long does the hair have to be to have it done? How long does it last? Is it effective on coarse, dark hair? I'm fair skinned but didn't get that nice blond fuzz. I'm assuming the hair gets finer as you repeatedly have it done but correct me if I'm wrong. Where is the best place to have it done and is there anything to watch for hygienically? Anything else I should know?

Help! :o

Or I could just answer all your questions in here:D

I wax and have for years, yes the hair gets finer the longer you do it as you are not leaving it blunt like shaving. It also gets more sparse.

The hair should be at least 1/4" long but I'd leave the first closer to 1/2" as not all your hair grows the same speed.

I had coarse dark hair on my legs as well(even though I'm fair skined and have dirty blonde hair) It does the trick for me.

The best place IMHO is at a reputable salon or spa(doesn't have to be the most expensive, just good quality) make sure the tech wears gloves and uses new products

Your first time may not give the results you may be expecting but it gets better with time...whatever you do, don't get frustrated and shave!

**Big tip, don't go durring that lovely visit from Aunt Flo, or close to it! You will regret it, trust me!

Thank you ladies for your responses and the links. They were most helpful. I was trying the search function but had gotten very frustrated when the site was having so many problems. I've been really limited on time but am trying to search out prices now at some spa's etc in the area. Guess I'll start soon so I don't have to wear pants for days in the warm weather waiting for that necessary 1/2"! :rolleyes: Sounds like the payoff is really worth the effort.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.

[walks away, still making circular motions with hands]

Miyagi: Wax on, wax off. Wax on, wax off.

from

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087538/quotes

Waxing is a temporary method of hair removal, which removes the hair from the root. New hairs will not grow back in the previously waxed area for three to eight weeks. Almost any area of the body can be waxed, including eyebrows, face, bikini area, legs, arms, back, abdomen and feet.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waxing

The faster you pull back the fabric strip the better the results.

from

http://www.fuzzoff.co.uk/hair_removal_guide_waxing.htm

I love waxing because I hate shaving!

As a previous poster mentioned, the hair needs to be at least a quarter of an inch long (but you might want to grow it a little longer - any hairs that aren't long enough won't get picked up and you'll have to shave anyway!).

If you are concerned about the pain just pop a couple advil before you go. And do go around your time of the month because you are supposed to be more sensitive to pain then.

Once you get it done be sure to exfoliate. Use a shower poof or something to get the dead skin off so you avoid ingrown hairs.

Make sure you go to a reputable salon or spa. It is a little pricy but totally worth it. You can also just get upper or lower leg done. I usually dont' get my upper leg done because I find that hair doesn't grow as fast so its easier for me to just shave it.

it usually help to take a tums or ibuprofen about a half of an hour before you go in helps with the pain. and don't go to the tanner the day before or after,you'll be sorry. i wax everything it's worth the time. i do this for a living in an upscale salon.

whatever you do...let the hair grow out for as long (or longer) as the salon directed!! like the OP, my hair is dark and thick. the first time i ever tried it, she recommended 10 days. somehow my appt. was 7 days later, but she decided they looked long enough to try it. (it LOOKED plenty long to me!!) well, as you may have guessed...we should have waited. she ripped out LOTS of hair, but it left plenty of hair all over my legs!! i had to shave, as i was leaving the next day for a romantic getaway....and believe me -- THAT wasn't comfortable on freshly waxed legs!!:eek: ) another problem was the direction of the hair growth. as other posters have mentioned, the hair grows at different rates, but may also grow in different directions, making the shorter hairs tougher to grab, i suppose! it was a waste of money and a lot of pain (but super quick and bearable...) can't decide if i want to risk it again and i don't know if i could stand 10 days without shaving. anyhoooo, ruby....best of luck to you!!!

for anyone out there...is it really possible to get all the hair if it's done right??? i'd LOVE to not have to shave on my cruise in april!!! and for thick, dark hair, what is a realistic amount of time i might expect before it starts growing back? thanks!!

OUCH Dixiejen! I imagine trying to shave freshly waxed legs feels just like it did when I was sunburned and trying to shave my legs...don't want to go throught that ordeal again. I'm thinking if I start with the waxing early enough that it will get easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like everyone covered it....1/4" long hair (or longer), make sure you exfoliate afterwards to prevent ingrowns (you can use Tend Skin if you do get some...I've only had a few).

Relax and take a few advil. It's not as bad as people make it out to be ...truly. It is worth the minor pain.

Make sure the salon uses new wax for each client and new utensils. Most usually wear gloves as well.

I actually go to a Massage School/Aesthetics School that provides waxing services. The students are great and the instructors make sure all is well...I only pay $60 for full legs, bikini, and underarms.

Make sure you moisturize alot afterwards especially if you have fair skin..the first time I did it I did it myself and ended up with these red bumps that turned into tiny red spots that took forever to go away. They were so noticeable because I have very light skin

Archived