Alaska inside passage

tomcruiser1234

We traveled on Celebrity Mercury last year to Alaska from Seattle. I noticed that they sailed into the Pacific on the way up and then turned to do the inside passages. However on the way Down they went through the narrow channel all the way to Seattle and it was just fantastic. Do any of the princess ship's that go out of seattle take the same route? From the looks on their map's it appears no, but maybe some one has traveled.

Like to try Princess on the same trip but it appears only RCCL's Vision of the Sea's takes that route.

Thanks

I would say that most of Princess cruises that leave from Seatlle go outside of Vancouver island. That is why I do not sail out of Seattle because of that.Maybe there are some Princess ships that do that route but I am not aware of it.

marilyn

The only Princess cruises out of Vancouver are one way. These sail inside Vancouver Island. Seattle round trip cruises, sail outside Vancouver Island. Plus sail Tracy Arm, which is very IFFY getting all the way in for the glacier view.

I have noticed on the boards from time to time discussions about the Alaska cruises and the inside passage.

I think that 'inside passage' description gets tossed around a litttle freely. Now, there may well be a stretch in Alaska waters that the locals refer to as the 'inside passage', but, the ONLY 'inside passage' that I know of is the stretch of water that runs north/south between Vancouver Island and the Mainland!:)

Some of the lines may leave Seattle, hang a right at the Juan de Fuca...a left at Nanaimo...and head up the inside passage...but I have never seen an itinerary map that shows that.:D All the ships that leave Vancouver headed for Alaska go up the inside passage...those coming back to Vancouver come down the inside passage.

Those leaving for Alaska from Seattle go up the west coast of Vancouver Island and return the same way.

At least as far as I know that is the way it is!:)

Tom&Deb:)

Archived