This is nuts!!!

rlowe38742

Now i just looked at my flight and i dont even land in hobby until 6:40 pm on April 13 . The cruise leaves on the 14th

Therefore the only place i can rent a car at that hour is the airport

Now how did anyone rent from hertz or enterprise and drop off at galveston wihout paying drop off fee?

cause everytime i call or look online the fee is included or should i ust booked with the fee included and play dumb and cry about it once i get there?

What office should i call or should i book online?

Im lost!!

Now i just looked at my flight and i dont even land in hobby until 6:40 pm on April 13 . The cruise leaves on the 14th

Therefore the only place i can rent a car at that hour is the airport

Now how did anyone rent from hertz or enterprise and drop off at galveston wihout paying drop off fee?

cause everytime i call or look online the fee is included or should i ust booked with the fee included and play dumb and cry about it once i get there?

What office should i call or should i book online?

Im lost!!

Have you tried arranging for alternate transportation? It might be cheaper in the long run. Particularly if your pre-cruise hotel includes shuttle service to the cruise terminal.

Unfortunately, playing dumb will not fly because you have to agree to the terms/conditions before you secure online reservations now. Just curious as to why you are booking a rental. Unless you plan on sight seeing the evening of the 13th, it's only a 45 minute drive from Hobby to Galveston. A shuttle may be a better choice and you won't have to get up earlier to return the rental car.

Have you tried arranging for alternate transportation? It might be cheaper in the long run. Particularly if your pre-cruise hotel includes shuttle service to the cruise terminal.

Unfortunately, playing dumb will not fly because you have to agree to the terms/conditions before you secure online reservations now. Just curious as to why you are booking a rental. Unless you plan on sight seeing the evening of the 13th, it's only a 45 minute drive from Hobby to Galveston. A shuttle may be a better choice and you won't have to get up earlier to return the rental car.

True but i hear about so many people that rent one ways and dont get charged drop off fee. But i also wanna do a lil sight-seeing when i come in friday night

rlowe38742,

If you are landing at Hobby Airport at 6:40PM and leaving the next day from Galveston, you probably don't want to stay in the Galleria area - despite the great shopping. That would be a lot of time spent driving across Houston. You might consider staying in this area, Clear Lake, which is about mid-way between Hobby Airport and Galveston and shopping at Baybrook Mall at I-45 and Bay Area Blvd.

rlowe38742,

If you are landing at Hobby Airport at 6:40PM and leaving the next day from Galveston, you probably don't want to stay in the Galleria area - despite the great shopping. That would be a lot of time spent driving across Houston. You might consider staying in this area, Clear Lake, which is about mid-way between Hobby Airport and Galveston and shopping at Baybrook Mall at I-45 and Bay Area Blvd.

Ok any good ideas for hotel in Clear Lake?

Almost every chain has a hotel/motel in the Clear Lake area. We are the area surrounding NASA/Johnson Space Center and have lots of scientists, etc., coming in for conferences and such. If you are interested in a hotel, there is the Nassau Bay Hilton (infamous for the fact that a local dentist ran over her cheating dentist husband three times in the hotel parking lot when she found him "meeting" another woman there) on NASA Parkway. There are many almost-new motels on Bay Area Blvd., such as LaQuinta and Marriott Residence Inn, and others on NASA Parkway.

Let me know if you need more area info.

P.S. If you are going to be in this area on Friday night, the Kemah Boardwalk (www.kemahboardwalk.com/ ) would be a fun place to visit - lots of restaurants right on Galveston Bay - and it is only a +/-15 minute drive east on NASA Parkway & south Hwy 146.

Ok any good ideas for hotel in Clear Lake?

Thanks to Clearlakecruisers I choose the Clear Lake area for our trip. We just returned last night after staying over a night to sightsee, etc. when our cruise got back on Sat. We took the Dream out of LaPorte. Our flight came in at IAH and we used Enterprise and dropped the car off at LaPorte cruise terminal. They may do the same thing for Galveston, we rented from their Seabrook office.

I booked through Priceline and got the Residence Marriott for about $56.00 a night. For more info on booking hotels in different areas you can check out www.biddingfortravel.com It was a great place with a full kitchen, fridge, microwave, stove, etc. Not that we used any of that, but they did have a regular size coffee pot with coffee. You can also request groceries and they'll have it stocked for you. Again, not that we needed that but if we were staying for any length of time it would have been great. There was a Starbucks next door and a Boston Market. All kinds of restaurants etc. all around. And they served a full hot breakfast in the morning. We also stayed there when we returned and got a room with a fireplace which we used. The first log was free and after that you paid for them.

We did some sightseeing in Galveston on Sunday and if you're leaving from there, as for sightseeing when you get in that late, you might be better off staying there. Someone we met on the cruiseline told us about a hotel directly on a pier in Galveston called the Flagship (I think that's what it was) and said it was very reasonable at about $60 - $80.00 a night. We saw it when we went to Galveston and it did look pretty cool. All the rooms would be direct waterfront and there's fishing at the end of the pier. Try a search online for it and they may have a website. I don't know what the rooms would be like, I thought afterwards that we should have stopped in and viewed them for future reference but we didn't.

If you do decide on Clear Lake, it was a great area. We did NASA, San Jacinto, toured the USS Texas battleship, and there was tons of restaurants in all price ranges available. But of course if you aren't staying over when you get back there isn't much time.

My husband said he'd like to return and stay at the same place and tour around Texas a bit as it was our first time. Well, other than a layover at the airport a few times for me, it was our first time.

So, that's my 2 cents, but Clearlakecruiser is the one who will point you in the right direction. Thanks again Clearlake! We had a blast. Unfortunately, didn't get to Kemah but we'll just have to come back.:)

Thanks, BeachBumMama, for the kind words. So glad your time in our area went well. Yes, you really do need to come back and visit the Kemah Boardwalk and let me know when you do and I'll fill you in on what's happening in this area at that time.

Unfortunately, the reviews on the Flagship are correct - although it is a great property (stayed there years ago for an anniversary celebration) it is currently poorly-maintained. There is a long story of bankruptcy, lawsuits, etc., and several times there have been plans to restore/remodel it. So far, that hasn't happened but we continue to hope...

Again, glad you enjoyed your time in Texas.

Archived