Cocktail Dress vs. Formal Gown

dianepm

Is there a difference between the two? I've been looking online for various dresses and is one considered more formal than the other? I am REALLY not a fashion person. I don't even wear make-up (although that's mostly because I can't see to put it on without my glasses). I'm on a 12 day cruise and I'm assuming there are at least 3 formal nights so I'm also wondering how to pack for this. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to shop for a "plus" size woman? What is exactly resort-casual anyway? I know that's a lot of questions but I really don't know anything about this.

Is there a difference between the two? I've been looking online for various dresses and is one considered more formal than the other? I am REALLY not a fashion person. I don't even wear make-up (although that's mostly because I can't see to put it on without my glasses). I'm on a 12 day cruise and I'm assuming there are at least 3 formal nights so I'm also wondering how to pack for this. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to shop for a "plus" size woman? What is exactly resort-casual anyway? I know that's a lot of questions but I really don't know anything about this.

There are several good catalogs for plus size clothing - I have been able to find 2 very nice outfits for formal nights, as well as every day clothing etc.. If you want to e-mail me I can give you links - I think if I post them on here it will get removed lol. E-mail addy is: michfish30@msn.com.

Which 12 day cruise? I am going on Freedom on 4/19!

I have found some really great deals on Ebay. I just bought a formal dress for 10.00 for our May cruise. On every cruise I have been on this is where I get all of my formals for the cruise. You can put in your size and they usually have pictures of plus size women wearing them so that you can see what they look like. As far as casual clothes I would recommend looking there also. You can find great deals on clothes with tags still on them. We take approx 3 vacations every year at different times and to different places so I am always looking for different styles of clothing to fit the vacation that we are taking and usually 9 times out of 10 find everything I am looking for on ebay. Hope this helps and you enjoy your cruise! :)

Thanks..I was thinking about E-bay. I have a while to do a search (I go in June 2008) but I hate doing things at the last minute and the more I can research before hand the better.

I have found some really great deals on Ebay. I just bought a formal dress for 10.00 for our May cruise. On every cruise I have been on this is where I get all of my formals for the cruise. You can put in your size and they usually have pictures of plus size women wearing them so that you can see what they look like. As far as casual clothes I would recommend looking there also. You can find great deals on clothes with tags still on them. We take approx 3 vacations every year at different times and to different places so I am always looking for different styles of clothing to fit the vacation that we are taking and usually 9 times out of 10 find everything I am looking for on ebay. Hope this helps and you enjoy your cruise! :)

I too buy almost all my clothes on eBay. I am a huge fan of Eileen Fisher which comes in all sizes. If you go with black silk, you can dress it up or down to suit the evening.

Stupid question: Can you get away with one dress and dress it up (ie. different wraps and what-not) for the different formals?

I bring a long (to the floor) black skirt and two different fancy tops.

Is the cocktail dress acceptable with the right accessories and such?

Absolutely! From what I've read, Carnival cruises tend to be less formal than some other lines. Also, I'm only 5'2" tall, so I prefer a cocktail dress. Otherwise I look like I'm just drowning in fabric. :p

From what I've read, Carnival cruises tend to be less formal than some other lines. :p

Tht all depends on who you are talking to, if you ask the people who hate to dress up on formal night, they will insist no one else is dressed up either, if you ask the people who enjoy the formal evening and take full advantage of dressing up, than they will say most cruisers are in formal wear.

CCL, RCCL, they are pretty equal when it comes to formal wear.

Just go by the Carnival required dress code and you will be fine.

To answer your question, a cocktail dress would be fine, I always wear a cocktail dress to formal but my DD's always wear long formal dresses.

I just bought my first long dress to wear on my next cruise, I can't wait to wear it.

I too buy almost all my clothes on eBay. I am a huge fan of Eileen Fisher which comes in all sizes. If you go with black silk, you can dress it up or down to suit the evening.

Hi,

Just saw your post. I am also a huge Eileen Fisher fan. Don't you love her clothes? Sophisticated and classy, yet extremely comfortable. I just bought a whole bunch of new outfits from her store this past weekend. :D

Is the cocktail dress acceptable with the right accessories and such?

Absolutely. I am wearing a black beaded cocktail dress for the first formal night. With a nice pair of dressy black sandels and evening bag, you can't go wrong.

I would agree that Carnival "formal" is less "formal" than other cruiselines based on my experience and those of friends. I am planning some cocktail style dresses for ours in the Fall (dressy dress - knee length) in black or mabye a fun color, depending on what I find. On the other hand, for my upcoming Princess cruise I'm going to go a bit dressier with a longer dress.

However, I think some of it depends on the length of cruise and it's destination. For example, I think a 12 day in Europe will be slightly dressier than a 4 day in the Caribbean.

Bottom line - don't go ultra casual (jeans, etc). I would suggest you wear what you would when you get dressed up at home for a nicer wedding or other event. Have fun, you're on vacation.

Is there a Ross Dress-for-Less store near you? They have a big selection of dresses, up to size 24, I think, and great prices.

Edit: Oops, just saw you live in Canada, so there's probably not. But I'm sure you can find something similar. Good luck!

I go a great deal on two outfits in the outlet section of Coldwater Creek. One is a chiffon material pants suit with some beads and looks formal enough for me for formal night :D . I only paid $30 for it!!! I also got another dressy dress (same chiffon type material) for $25. I was well pleased......OH...and they are plus sizes and fit pretty much to size.

Hope it is okay to mention the name of the store.

I would agree that Carnival "formal" is less "formal" than other cruiselines based on my experience and those of friends. I am planning some cocktail style dresses for ours in the Fall (dressy dress - knee length) in black or mabye a fun color, depending on what I find. On the other hand, for my upcoming Princess cruise I'm going to go a bit dressier with a longer dress.

We've been on only one Princess cruise, and it was dressier on formal night than any Carnival cruise we've been on. Have fun! :p

We love to dress up--I wear floor-length and DH wears a tux.

Jayne

:)

I felt weird in my "formal clothes". I had a sequined top and a taffeta ball skirt and I was overdressed. A lot of people showed up in church clothes.

My mom wore a shiney top with long sleeves that sort of wrapped at her waist with a straight black skirt. She fit in much better than I did.

Stupid question: Can you get away with one dress and dress it up (ie. different wraps and what-not) for the different formals?

Absolutely! Chances are no one will even notice it's the same dress. I wear a formal length skirt (Chiffon) and have different "fancy" blouses I pair it with.

Enjoy!

Jayne

:)

Archived