private tour guides-anyone ever been stood up?

I have reserved a private tour guide-(Marcello Maresca) in Naples after reading some great reviews from other boards. My husband just asked me what we would do if he never showed up and all the cruise tours were full. (I would cry!) So, now I am wondering, has this ever happened to anyone? He sounds very trustworthy, so I'm not too worried, but mabye I am being simple minded??:confused:

I was once stood up by a private sled dog tour out of Skagway. We waited an hour and when they did not show I called them. They claimed to have e-mailed me a few days earlier (but I was on the ship by then) to cancel. Luckily wwe found lots to do at the last minute.

Stood up in Montevideo. Not a problem, though. We grabbed a taxi and asked for an abbreviated tour. Then the taxi broke down in the town square! An adventure. Emailed our guide when we returned to the ship. She claimed family emergency. All was OK...not a large city and not that much to see/do. Might be a problem in Rome or Athens. We have private guides lined up there. Fingers crossed.

Hi blueseagirl- we have booked Marcello Maresca for our July 7 DCL cruise, but he advised he is not available that day, and he will send his other driver. The reviews I have read all rave about him, and I hope he would not send a driver who would not get the same great reviews - after all, this is his livelyhood, and he says in his email, that most customers are by word of mouth. I never thought about a no-show though. I guess I will print out the directions on how to see Pompeii on your own ( via train ) as a just in case, but since this is he's business, it would not be advantageous for him not to show.

I am trying to find 4 other people to "share" the tour with us. We will be in Naples on July 10th. Anyone else out there on the 07/07/07 Disney Magic who would be interested??

Please let me know how your tour is, if you are sailing before us!

Thanks,

Sherri:D

( shercara@aol.com )

Hello Blueseagirl,

I just booked Marcello also for a private tour in June. I also read great reviews about him. I have cruised many times but am only just now starting to be a little more adventurous with booking private tours. From what I've read he seems very reliable and I am not concerned. He doesn't ask for any money up front so you don't have to worry about that.

I have high hopes that he will be great.

Laurie

Don't worry about Marcello. He is terrific and I can't imagine his not showing up. Look at his picture on his website and if he doesn't see you, you'll be able to find him. I walked by him and didn't realize it was Marcello. He didn't leave and we had an absolutely wonderful day. He loves to talk, but that's just part of his charm. Have a wonderful time.

Joan

In Turkey we were stood up by Meander Travel. He tried to put it back on us saying we didn't confirm even though we did. It wound up being OK as we scrambled and booked a tour on the dock which turned out alright.

NB.

What a shame as they are absolutely wonderful and our day with them was nothing but the most pleasant experience.

One piece of advice I would give you is that when confirming via email, and we all love technology but I think we take it for granted that when we hit that send button we have no further things to do. Always make sure the tour company responds back regarding receiving your confirmation. Doing your private tours is great but you have to take responsibility for the follow-up. We always ask for them to email us back that they have received our email. Never had a problem.

PTC

WE have Marcello booked for our stop at Naples. I have had great communication with him. I am sure our day with him will be fabulous! Oh, we are on the Brilliance Med Venice cruise 7/20/07.

We have toured with Marcello twice. Say Hi from Betty and Steve from NJ. You will have a great time. We have never had a problem with the 20 or so drivers we have used around the world.

We used Marcello a few years ago and have referred him to friends that have used him twice since then and you are in for a treat. He is dependable and provided the best day we had. We are using him again this May and can't wait. Find something else to worry about and because you will not be disappointed with Marcello Maresca.

I have used him a few years ago. He was fantastic. I have referred him to friends that have used him three times since then and could not have been more pleased. We are returning in May and have him booked again. You are in for a great day. He was prompt and made the most of our day. Can't wait to share another day with him in "his Italy".

A better question is whether anyone has booked a tour and been stood up by othes on CC, thereby making the tour significantly more expensive than they anticipated as a group?

I have wondered the same thing....do you collect money from your group for the tour before you cruise or does everyone pay at the end of the tour?

Bluesgirl -

I used Stefano and Marco last year when we were in Rome. They were both fantastic. Marco took us to a fabulous restaurant for lunch - the buiilding was 2000 years old and the owner made authentic Roman recipes from that time period as well as current dishes. We just ordered a bunch of different things that we all shared - it was the best meal we had our whole trip!

Marco and Stefano are definitely topnotch and you will have a great time with them. I just booked them again for our trip we are taking this Spetmeber.

Have a great trip

Lynn

I found one for 55 Euros per hour, but I am just afraid that I will get stuck in traffic or something and not get to the ship in time. If I go back to the airport and use the transfer service, I know that the ship would wait on the bus if something were to happen (like traffic for instance). I also am a little afraid about how reliable the taxis are. I feel confident with the transfers.

Archived